LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cipro against babs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cipro against babs?
Xerxes
Member # 9966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xerxes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi

Has Cipro any known effect against babesiosis?

Posts: 20 | From Germany | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, but my doctor gave me Cipro for Lyme back in 2000. He said he would give it to me as I had already LOST my COLON. CIPRO is GOOD for THAT too, you know?!?!

IF you still have your colon, I would NOT take Cipro for ANYTHING.

I know of at least three of us locally who have lost their colon to Cipro.

We SHOULD be sueing instead of even thinking of it.

Oh, by the way, I don't know IF I ever had Babs or not. But the Cipro DID get rid of my Lyme symptoms for about 8 or 9 months. Then they came back with a whole bunch more.

Jim [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!! I am on cipro for bart, not babesia.
But now I am going to have to look into the side-effcts.

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polar blast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polar blast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cipro is one antibiotic that I dont recommend...
eric

Posts: 593 | From long island ny | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for more comments
Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it does. Mepron and Zithro are the pretty much the standard.

--------------------
Mathias

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cipro brought me into *no symptoms at all*.
It holds a special place in my heart*)*)!!

I was 2 months no symptoms when I got pregnant- if I had gone ONE more month my doc was going to declare me in full remissioN!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO CLOSE!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeflox
Member # 10543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeflox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CaliforniaLyme:

What dose did you take during those two months?

Posts: 94 | From canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No doubt that cipro can have some nasty side-effects. In my experience, cipro works better against bartonella than babesia. Men often can have Bb reside in their prostate or urinary tract and cipro or levaquin is used to treat in these area's.

I know many who've taken cipro without any harmful effects. However, everyone responds differently so I'd have close supervision when using cipro.

Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think cirpo is effective against Babs, mine was gone by the time I took it- mine was for presumptive Bartonella!! I htink it was 500 twice a day but I don't honestly reemmebr outright- I oculd skim thorugh old posts to find it- brb- couldnt' find the dosage when I got back but what first alerted me to it was when I was in India with my daughetr Evan & my Mom and I got awful gastoenteritis- found that post- and all symptoms vanished- actually logged on in India and wrote about it- but the IV for that was IV Cipro and I immediately Herxed and then was symptom free for days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND the doctor there not only knew about Lyme- stern female Indian doc- but told my mom my LLMD should have been treating me with LOTS MORE ABX!!
She was cool-
An LLMD could make bank there- and it cost less than 5$ for a couple hours of iV! They were having a Japanese Encephalitis Virus outbreak (almost identical to TBE but mosquito borne) at the time-

Sarah Elizabeth L.W. View profile
More options Aug 6 2003, 7:08 am

Newsgroups: sci.med.diseases.lyme
Date: 6 Aug 2003 07:08:05 -0700
Local: Wed, Aug 6 2003 7:08 am
Subject: IndiaLyme*)!!! The effect of rabies shots on Babesiosis-!!
Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show original | Remove | Report this message | Find messages by this author

WELL< the effect of rabies shots on Babesiosis>? None.

There were these tiny little starving LITERALLY starving kittens and
Evan & I were feeding them daily- and still are actually- tonight they
got leftover lemon chicken from a Chinese restaurant we went to for
lunch- and one crept into our room when we left the door open and then
when it saw us it went headfirst butting the walls in terror so I
picked it up to thrust it outside to quell its fear and- yup- it drew
blood!! Bit me very deeply in my arm- Of course, poor frightened
kitty! And I had not gotten vaccinated against rabies at home-
So I had to get rabies shots, they don't hurt anymore btw, and have 2
more to go...

What the heck does that have to do with Lyme or Babesiosis!>?!>?!
Well,
when they said I had to get rabies shots for one brief second I let
myself imagine they would cure me completely!! One can dream*)!*)!*)!

HOWEVER, a few days later I got acute gastroenteritis and I had to go
to Mahavir Hospital (and they have all these signs about JEV which is
having an epidemic here right now- SCARY!) and they immedidately gave
me 2 bags of IV Glucose AND a bag of IV CIPRO and a bag of IV
METRONIDAZOLE (for 225 rupees which is under $5!!!). And I herxed
like heck and THEN they gave me (for the gastroenteritis all of
this)- Cifran & Rantac and WHOA, you guys, this combo is GREAT!!! I am
herxing with burning feet which is one of my only remaining symptoms
and my darn left knee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So I am glad. Cifran is CIPRO AND FLAGYL together (I think!) and
Rantac is some sodium hydrochloride- I am not in my room where my meds
are- at the University of Hyderabad computer center instead so i hope
I am remembering right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anywayz, if a Lyme doctor set up here, wow. Could be wonderful!!!
Cheap IV.

OH!!! And Evan is on Lariam for malaria prophylactic and she has not
Herxed AT ALL which she always did strongly with Mepron. So even more
goodness.

I miss you guys but back home my connection is broken. I can write
offline but my modem is broken so I can only login at Kinkos at home
which are a lot more expensive than Internet cafes here= 20 rupees for
half an hour!!!!!!!! 50 cents!

So the doctor, when I was vomiting, asks my Mom what meds I am on and
my Mom explains about the Lyme and Babesiosis and says what I am on
for it and she goes, the doctor:

"NOT strong enough!!!" in response to the drugs I was on, and so that
may have had something to do with her post-gastro prescription, I am
not sure. Well, I can't really call it POST-gastro because I am far
from normal bowelwise- the first time since I first got Lyme to have
stuff like that. YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But that's to be expected here- Evan too- poor child- but she didn't
collapse the way I did-
Anywayz, I wish you all well & think of you often-
Best wishes always,
Sarah
(ordinarily from Santa CRuz California)

--------------------
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Sara,

Quick question, they gave you cipro and flagyl to fight bart?

Also do you think the burning feet were from bart?

Thanks

CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

No no- this was in India when I got gastroenteritis!!! Really bad- !!!

BUT I HERXED ON IT WITH MY REMAINING "LYME" SYMPTOMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL OF THAT WHICH REMAINED HERXED and then disappeared for DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so burning feet= Bart for me yes!!!

So when I got back I told my doc and he said it saounds like you've had Bartonella this whole time and we never treated you! because I was always blood negative-

BUT I have done cat rescue since I was 12-
volunteered at cat rescue places- done it myself-
so I have tons of exposure-

ANYWAY- so I told him re my experience in India and he put me on oral cirpo I think it was 500 twice a day- and it put me less & less each motnh of my flare- which used to be still at that time minutes and minutes of nasty stabbing pain in my left knee pre menstrually- and less and less each month until it was GONE!!!
and all of a sudden my "chronicicty" was gone-
I could get NO SLEEP
and be fine

before I could be apparently symptom free but stay up and get NO sleep and my body would FEEL the Lyme the next day- all achy-

ANYWAY- 2 months no symptoms

my LLMD said one more month and we will take oyu off abx
and declre you in full remission!!!

and I got pregnant!!!!!!!!!

AGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I am glad. She is a great little human.
But I had to go off cirpo IMMEDIATELy of course-

But I can't wait until I am done breastfeeding (I am on 4500 amoxi a day) and then I will go back on cipro and hopefully achieve full remission*)!*)!!

So I do think I just have Bart now- held in check-

The Ehrlcihiosis is gone, the Babs is gone-
and I think the Lyme is gone and I just have Bart but not really sure- won't know until i can try cirpo again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we'll see..............

meanwhile I have no symptoms at all unless I don't eat and don't sleep (I love to read and with two little kids sometiems I will stay up reading until past midnight and if I do that on a night when the baby is awake a lot I can get almost no sleep and THEN I will feel achiness here and there so Iknow it is still there)

except for my ONE MINUTE flare pre period which
is under aminute total of pain i n my left knee

so 99.99999999999999999999999999999% well...

It is great really.
Never expected to get this.
Thought I would be in pain forever-

I get mad at people who take abx for granted or don't appreicate them out of pure selfishness- because they are my life- without them my life was hell- they have given me heaven on earth again- my cats- my children- life!!!!!!!!
Anywayz, I get choked up about dead Lymies and abx and LLMDs*)!*)!)! Seriously, get all teary on those subjects, very maudlin-

cipro CAN cause tendon damage though
and that is no fun for sure
but for me it holds hope of full remission*)!*)!
take care all,
Sarah

--------------------
-John Ruskin

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement