LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » GI distress???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GI distress???
PBizzle
Member # 11463

Icon 5 posted      Profile for PBizzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my most persistent symptoms with Lyme has been GI issues. This was also one of my beginning symptoms. I'm wondering if it's more related to yeast than to Lyme?

GI problems (diarrhea/constipation/GERD/abdominal pain/nausea/chronic gas) started well before any other symptoms of Lyme and before I was ever on antibiotics.

Could I have had Lyme (not knowing it) which caused my immune system to be weakened, thus causing overgrowth of yeast in my gut? So is it possible that I may be battling Lyme and yeast?

I've read both symptoms list. There are many cross-over symptoms so I'm confused. I did the spit test in the morning and according to how the saliva should act, I definitely have an issue with yeast.

I do not meet with my LLMD for quite some time because of a waiting list (I've only met with his nurse for blood draws and such) but how can I approach my primary doc about this without him thinking I'm a total weirdo? He doesn't even really believe Lyme disease exists. He diagnosed me with post-viral CFS/Myalgia which I think isn't accurate at all since my symptoms started long before I ever had a "virus."

Thanks so much for your comments.

Posts: 81 | From Central PA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could possibly have lyme. I use to think I had really bad yeast before I had a lyme diagnosis. My pain problems with lyme are GI as well. I have stomach spasms, uncontrollable/random hiccups, chronic nausea, GI pain, rarely have bowel problems but many others have it bad! You also need to start taking heavy probiotics as well! It sucks living with chronic nausea for 17 months and going with no way of relief but to commit suicide [cussing]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My IBS went away with Doxycycline and then came back during a eyar of no tx and then was vanquished completely with IV Rocephin!!!! It was awful- have you been on Doxycycline and Flagyl>? those are good for IBS symptoms- also did you see abstract re Crohns disease and Artemisia>?!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Search "Bell's Palsy of the gut." Including quotation marks might help bring more information.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PBizzle
Member # 11463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PBizzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on doxycycline (200mg daily) for about three weeks now. Never been on Flagyl. I've had some relief of nausea, but my stomach, abdominal, and pelvic pain is worsening.

I'm not alarmed by it because my pain seems to migrate from week to week and my GI symptoms seem to go in cycles. Next week I could be back to feeling nauseated, but have no pain.

I've had a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy. It was normal as was the tissue biopsy. The only abnormality was inflammation that was supposedly caused by a "virus." I refuse to believe a virus could cause GI issues for 8 months.

However, I did have delayed stomach emptying. The main reason for causing this is diabetes, which I do not have. Been tested twice now for it. Again, the cause of the delayed emptying was diagnosed as being "post-viral."

I'm going to go insane if I hear "virus" one more time.

I googled "Bell's Palsy of the Gut." Thanks. Good information there.

Posts: 81 | From Central PA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penn92
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penn92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PBizzle:
I've been on doxycycline (200mg daily) for about three weeks now. Never been on Flagyl. I've had some relief of nausea, but my stomach, abdominal, and pelvic pain is worsening.

That's not enough doxy to kill the bacteria. That dose is bacteriostatic, not bacteriocidal. Basically, you're buying yourself time to get in to a real LLMD who'll treat you properly.

Where in PA are you? You can't afford to wait long to get treated - find a LLMD who can see you soon while you wait for the other one's waitlist. We're on a waitlist for a more local LLMD that is 14 months long, but in the meantime we see a LLMD in NJ who is good.

Also, you could try the anti-yeast diet and take good probiotics, if you aren't already, and see if it helps your GI symptoms.

--------------------
Getting older is when we would rather not have a good time
than have to get over it. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 386 | From Radnor, PA - where the ticks run free | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PBizzle
Member # 11463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PBizzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I agree that 200mg of Doxy isn't going to do much of anything for me. However, about 5 days into it my glands started swelling and I felt miserable. A lot of my symptoms became worse but have since improved to a level of tolerance. Herx perhaps?

My primary doc started me on the doxy as a "test" of sorts until I get my Igenex labs back. He's basically worthless since he doesn't listen to me.

I am seeing an LLMD in a couple of weeks. Not the one I'm on the waiting list for, but at this point, I'm desperate for anything, so I'll give it shot.

savebabe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend was just put on flagyl to kill all the parasites in the stomach. A stool sample found the culprit of her vomiting, gastritis, bloating, etc...

My llmd also told me that bart caused stomach issues. I guess experimenting with different abx might yeild positive results.

Good luck

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twopuggles
Member # 10971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twopuggles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have everything you mentioned. All my symptoms started in my stomach and branched out from there.

I started on doxy and plaquenil for a couple of months and started to feel better, then I added biaxin and had a horrible reaction so I was switched to zithro which I tolerated for awhile.

I started to go downhill from there. My LLMD felt since I was declining so fast and I had such horrible myalgia in my calves and knees, that I most likely had babesia.

I dropped the doxy and added mepron. The first two weeks were awful!! The myalgia was excrutiating. After that it tapered off and I have been feeling much better. My stomach is not as sore anymore and bloated, and the joint and muscle pain has subsided.

I still have IBS, but it has improved. I occasionally have heartburn, and I have learned what I can and cannot eat.

Yeast has always been a problem with me as well. I am also on diflucan once a week and take other supplements as well. I have been able to keep it under control, but if I veer off my diet slightly it is right back. I believe it is due mostly to the abx, and the fact that my immune system is being compromised.

I think yeast can play a huge role, but there are ways to control it. Once under control, if you still have other symptoms, it is time to find out the underlying cause.

Posts: 49 | From Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I herxed GI-ally with my IBS- it got worse with abx and then went away!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement