LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Zicam Cold Remedy Users: Warning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zicam Cold Remedy Users: Warning
Truthfinder
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zicam intranasal solutions have caused damaged or permanent loss of smell in some consumers.

In my opinion, the maker of Zicam has misused the term ``homeopathic'' in order to evade FDA approval. And we, the consumers, are paying for it. Zicam is generating so much profit that the manufacturer is still marketing the potentially harmful forms (intranasal) of Zicam.! [rant]

I used to recommend this product all the time to cold-sufferers. While I still believe it is an effective product, I can only recommend the TABLET or oral forms of Zicam - NOT the swabs or nasal sprays or anything that goes up your nose.

Here's why:

Zicam claims to be ``homeopathic'' Zincum gluconicum in 1x potency. In other words Zicam is just a 10% intranasal zinc-compound solution. Typically homeopathic remedies are sold in much more dilute solutions.

For example a 6x potency is one part in a million of the original substance. This is why homeopathic medicines are considered safe; there is little or nothing left to cause harm. In the case of Zicam, by calling it homeopathic and adopting the homeopathic terminology, the manufacturer found a way to market a 10% solution of zinc gluconate without FDA oversight.

Intranasal zinc has been known to destroy the ability to smell in both animals and people since at least the 1930s. For years there had been no attempt to use intranasal zinc in humans. However because Zincam products fall under the homeopathic provision of FDA laws, these products are not required to get FDA approval before they were put on the market.

In 2006, the maker of Zicam agreed to pay $12 million to settle 340 lawsuits brought by consumers who claimed the product's nasal gel damaged or destroyed their sense of smell.

Like we Lymies really need MORE problems?

Sorry, I did not save any links but there is considerable information on the Internet about this.

Tracy

[ 07. April 2007, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Truthfinder ]

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarjar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarjar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard of people on other boards complaining of losing their smell. They feel like they have been robbed in which they have.
Posts: 805 | From Utopia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! I used the nasal spray ONCE!!! It burned my nasal passages so badly that I decided having a cold would be the better alternative!!

Glad I never tried it again. [Eek!]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is distressing news. I've loved using Zicam when I had colds...

Now what do I do?

Posts: 449 | From Pasadena, CA, usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psano, the Zicam tablets should pose no risk. Just don't use any of the Zicam stuff that you put up your nose. [Big Grin]

I've only used the swabs in the past and I think it was the swabs were what triggered the lawsuits. But I still wouldn't use the nasal spray either after what I've learned.

They didn't have tablets available the last time I used it so I haven't tried them. I know one person used the tablets and they worked for her.

Tracy [Smile]

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penn92
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penn92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Their oral spray worked well for me also. Glad to know I shouldn't use the up the nose stuff.

--------------------
Getting older is when we would rather not have a good time
than have to get over it. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 386 | From Radnor, PA - where the ticks run free | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

What I found a bit surprising is that I never did hear any of this on the news. I accidentally ran across it looking for something else.

The chances are pretty low that the "up the nose" forms of Zicam would cause damage, but Lymies often have bigger reactions to things than normal people.

So, better to be forwarned, I guess.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy

Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruth Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 'coldeeze' product has studies to show that it works. It has zinc in a form that seems to help shorten the duration of a cold. It did help me.

--------------------
When I lost my grip on Faith in the maze of illness,
Hope gently clasped my hand and led on.

RuthRuth

Posts: 478 | From California | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement