LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » babs - bruising

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: babs - bruising
csperanza
Member # 9613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for csperanza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I think I mentioned in a different post that after being treated for Lyme, my LLMD is also treating me for babs. One of the things I had meant to ask him about before he brought up babs was bruising very easily and occasionally getting petechiae (pinpoint red dots, not a rash, but broken blood vessel kind of thing). In fact about a month ago, I bumped my leg against the car trying to get something that fell under the seat and I got the nastiest bruise I'd ever seen. Bigger than a grapefruit, and 3 wks later, still turning all sorts of colors but fading very slowly.

3 days after starting malarone, the bruise is completely, totally gone.

am i totally deluding myself by thinking this is a good sign?

carol

Posts: 56 | From southeastern PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think brusing can be a symptom of Lyme. I had some ughly nasty bruises before and while taking Mepron. Mepron is a lot like Malarone.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know the answer to that -- 3 days sounds a bit quick to see a difference in any major symptom. However, it is possible! Certainly many people respond to antibiotics for lyme within hours of taking it (by herxing).

I get alot of black & blues too, easily, and some petechiae (is that what they are called?). Started malarone about 45 days ago and have not noticed too much of a difference in this; possibly less petechiae.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
csperanza
Member # 9613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for csperanza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vermont Lymie, how are you tolerating the malarone? I am finding it very powerful. It's making me super fatigued and a bit nauseous. Although I'm not a big herxer -- I haven't had any major ones in the past, I do feel like this is causing me to feel worse temporarily, whether it's herxing or just getting used to the medication.
C

Posts: 56 | From southeastern PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

I am on half a dose of Malarone a day and I like it so much more then Mepron. I hope I never have to take Mepron ever again because it made me feel depressed tired and just plan yucky along with having overly frequent urination issues too. Even when I was taking a full dose of Malarone I still prefer it to Mepron. 4 months on Mepron did not get rid of my Babesia so after it returned I started Malarone.
Vermont_Lymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Malarone hit me pretty hard. I can tolerate alot of abx, but malarone has been tough.

You can do a search under malarone and find a few threads about several of us herxing/feeling awful with malarone! My earlier thread was called -- Help! Herxing or Relapse!

But it did get easier after the first four weeks. The first month on malarone kicked my butt, and I did not sleep well, felt awful in many ways -- chills, sweats, cognitive crash, dizzy, anxious, etc. Fatigue too.

A couple of weeks ago I started some new supplements that may have helped me. That or I am getting acclimated to malarone. Buhner's recommendations: Eleuthero; Sarsaparilla root, and Chitosan (before bed). I feel much better after starting these three supplements; Buhner's book describes in detail how Sarsaparilla binds endotoxins, and Chitosan is a binder and detoxer as well.

The Eleuthero has given me much more energy, no doubt about that.

Ginger tea or ginger root, or ginger supplement helps alot with nausea.

Take it easy and see if you can reduce activities for the first month. Hope you feel better.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruising is comon with Babesiosis because it causes anemia and can cause hemolytic anemia-

I had my blood hemolyze when herxing with Mepron-
I went to have blood drawn & they had to draw it 3 times (the person was so glad I was still lying down I have a vagus nerve Lyme thing where I pass out when blood is drawn so I have to lie down and rise slowly over 15-20 minutes after) and my red and white cells kept slushing together!!!

the phlebotmist redid it and then said, "i just don't understand it!! The only time this happens is in REALLY rare diseases-"

I got worried because I didn't know about this- did I have something else too>? some other rare thing?

"Like?" I asked fearfully/

She goes looks it up in something, "Beeb-Baaab-?"

"Babesiosis?"

"YES!!! How did you know that?"

"because that's what I have!!!"

It was funny. Had to be there!!!

Anyway, the red blood cell walls can weaken and break and then that can spread like Dominoes/
I was really bad with bruises that way but you don't sound bad at all because they aren't happening without outside cause. If they begin to happen spontaneously get wrose & worse for over 2 weeks then worry, otherwise I wouldn't!

My LLMD said it was common with babs esp Babs HERXES and that it should resolve within a week-

and since mepron- no inside bruises!!!

I called them that because I would feel this weird zinging pain and then within a minute there would be a spreading black bruise- largest was 4 by 6 inches- that had me almost going to hospital- even if it gets ultra bad there is tx for it- plasmapharesis (same as for GB Syndrome)- nasty tx though but very rare to get that bad!!!

Bruising can also happen with Ehrlichiosis which can also cause vascular collapse!!!!

It is associated mainly with BABESIOSIS or ANAPLASMOSIS (Ehrlichiosis) not really so much with Lyme proper although not unheard of-
Take care,
Best wishes,
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Thanks for this info Sarah I am now reaching for the ferrum phos.
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My neighbor also had significant bruising from ehrlichia (sp?).

Very low platelet counts associated as well with this co-infection.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement