LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Choking

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Choking
sickandtiredofbeingsandt
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickandtiredofbeingsandt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
I don't know that this is necessarily Lyme related but I have trouble with choking. I will sometimes choke on my own spit.

I have to be very careful about eating and talking at the same time. My mother has some kind of esophogeal (spelling) weakness and she aspirates. I wonder if I have the same condition.

I also have a nodule on my thyroid (I'm a thyroid patient) that might have something to do with this. But could this also have something to do with Lyme?

Just wondering. Thanks in advance!

--------------------
Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired

Posts: 185 | From Colorado | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know the cause of a nodule on the thyroid, but Lyme can affect the thyroid.

Page 61 of Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner's book, "Everything You Need to Know About Lyme Disease," says:
"Some patients have had underactive thyroid glands, which return to normal after treatment."

I've heard that sometimes the regular lab tests for thyroid function do not pick up the problem.

On pages 51-53 of her book -
She discusses problems resulting from cranial nerves being affected by Lyme disease.

Cranial Nerve IX - problems with mucous membranes in the back one-third of the tongue cause abnormal taste sensations....
"Improper functioning may also result in difficulty swallowing & paralysis of the glottis, a piece of tissue that ordinarily prevents you from inhaling food into your lungs or swallowing air."

Cranial Nerve X - "Dysfunction of the muscles in the throat, shoulders, and back may create difficulty in swallowing or talking."

Maybe someone else will have additional info to help you understand the problem.

Have you discussed this with your LLMD?
If you haven't, you really need to.
Our doctors need as much info as possible to understand our individual situations.

Have you started antibiotics yet?

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had choking problems with my lyme disease rarely though....

All or atleast most of us lyme people have problems with our GI system. Alot of times the muscles dont do what they are suppose to do. For instance... Some people have paralysis where the stomach is very weak and slow to digest food. For me anda afew others, my stomach is hyperactive and spasms alot! (as seen on endoscopy) I also have strang/uncontrollable hiccups that happen throughout the day. So I have no doubt that your choking is due to lyme because from your lips to your back end, everything is controlled by muscles, when you have lyme-muscles dont behave.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest the choking sensation might be due to swallowing problems.

Prior to being dx. with Lyme, there were many occasions where I had difficulty initiating a swallow.

Occasional episodes of aspiration (food/liguid going down the trachea vs. esophagus) were not uncommon for me.

I am a speech therapist...well versed in dysphagia (disorders of swallowing).

If you do a search here on swallowing difficulties/choking you will see that

Others have had this issue.

Thankfully, my swallowing difficulties have mostly gone away on antibx.

I also used to get this choking sensation...like my throat was closing off.

I felt that if I closed my mouth, I would stop breathing.

That symptom was babs related for me.

Please be careful with the swallowing.

It is possible to get aspiration pneumonia if food/liguid (esp. milk) get into your lungs.

May want to report this symptom to your LLMD.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Choking can be caused from thyroid disease. I've been hypothyroid for about 25 yrs, long before lyme. I also have a goiter. Enlargement in the thyroid nodule.

Lyme also effects many with thyroid problems. It must be one of our weak organs(it's not an organ, but I'm blank) and gives in quickly to the bacteria????

My synthroid did need increasing a couple times in the first 2 years and now has leveled off in the last 5.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to have this symptom big time.

Terrible!

I choked on food and my own saliva. A few times I have almost died when regurgitated and choked during sleep.

Abx helped me. Particularly tetracycline.

Bb interferes with esophagus and the sensitive mechanism of swallowing.

At present I am off abx (although not 100% healthy yet) I take nano silver that keeps this particular symptom under good check.

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't able to read the other posts, but wanted to let you know I have this problem too.

It was worse at first. I did not have a dx at that time and was not on treatment.

Now, I just do liquids when I am too fatigued to eat without choking on my food. Chewing is even a problem when I am too fatigued.

I am learning to pace myself so I do not have this problem.

I have not had the problem of waking up choking in my sleep for a long time now.

It is also rare that I sit at a table to eat. I usually need to recline while I eat. That seems to help too.

I am still too weak to sit upright daily and eat.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had this problem, and believe that for me it is a neuro-lyme symptom. My family affectionaltely calls it my "drinking problem", since liquids often go down the wrong pipe, then get spewed.

It tends to occur with other neuro symptoms, such as the one we affectionately call "dropsy". I go to reach for a glass in the cupboard, or to take something being handed to me, and miss.

Fortunately, my neuro symptoms have been diminishing.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... considering that I choked on my saliva after eating lunch, I guess I still have this symptom too ... but it does not happen often and it definitely almost disappeared with long-term treatment.

I used to know I was tired & needed to stop swimming when I started choking on water.

I see it a muscle fatigue/coordination problem, in my case. A wake-up call from the body to pay attention or get some rest!

ESG

ESG

Posts: 424 | From Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh yes, I also used to drop things all the time -they just seemed to slide between my fingers and before I knew what had happened they would no longer be where I had planned to have them. I started expecting things to drop, to never stay in my hands! Just one part of the body not working in sync anymore.

ESG

Posts: 424 | From Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickandtiredofbeingsandt
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickandtiredofbeingsandt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everybody! I guess I didn't realize this could be Lyme related. But the muscle weakness and nerve problems do make sense.

Fortunately, it is not an every day occurance but it happens enough to be a concern. I will talk to my LLMD this week and tell him.

Speaking of nerve involvement, I have had a new symptom in the past few weeks. There is a sensory nerve in my face that will hurt for several days then the pain goes away for a while.

I am guessing it's all in the same category as the rest of the Lyme symptoms. It may have been part of a herx that was going on at the same time.

Thanks again!

--------------------
Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired

Posts: 185 | From Colorado | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a couple of known facts re: swallowing disosrders or dysphagia.

Believe it or not, water (or thin liquids) is usually

The hardest to swallow.

Most people who have had some type of neuro injury

Have the greatest difficulty with thin liquids.

Major cause of aspiration pneumonia.

Liquids can run over the base of the tongue and reach the level

of the vocal folds prior to a person even initiating a swallow.

Thus, the coughing and choking....

That is your body's way of trying to clear the foreign material from your trachea and lungs.

A good strong cough can usually clear it, but not always.

If you find thin liquids are making you cough/choke,

You may want to try to "thicken" your liquids.

Sounds gross, but works.

Next consistency is "syrup" thick.

Looks like cough medicine...

There are commercial products that have no taste to thicken liquids,

However, yogurt can thicken....starch can thicken, etc.

Shakes, smoothies, etc are usually good choices during this time.

Do not use a straw if you are having difficulty with thin liquids.

Soups may be hard too (thin liquid).

Try a pea soup, or take part of the soup, place in blender, add back to other soup.

Tucking your chin down to your chest while swallowing is another way of protecting your air-way.

If you have specific weakness to one side (left vs. right)

Try turning head in the direction of weakness.

This effectively "closes" off that weak side.

The head turn, chin tuck can be combined.

May feel and look a little silly, but sure does

Beat choking and coughing on liquids all the time.

I hope some of this info. helps.

You could always get a swallow study (Modified Barium Swallow Study)

to see what is really going on...

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement