LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Music Therapy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Music Therapy
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used that subject to justify posting this in Medical for more input.

I listen to music a lot, to quiet myself, to energize myself, to cry, to feel hope, to pray, to carry me from one moment to the next.

I have several favorites I play over and over.

Would love to have a list of songs to burn that I could listen to and pass on to others. It's also a way for us to feel connected because I'll be thinking of the person who suggested it.

My current favorite is "You Are Loved (Don't Give Up) by Josh Grobin.

Carol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaS
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn't a well known song, but Daylight by Better Than Ezra is the perfect song when I'm feeling really down. I like Josh Grobin too. And John Mayer.

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kendrick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kendrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have about half a baker's dozen songs I listen to.
Truthfully, there's too many. Try 'Name' by GooGoo Dolls, What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong, or 'Not enough Time' by INXS.

I personally like more rock(it's Jane's Addiction Monday for me tonight), but these songs are good and more relaxing.

--------------------
Never walk through a cornfield backwards.

About me(Yahoo): http://360.yahoo.com/profile-NR1Y8cw6fqhtrewwItSlfsgQDIhaOojd

Posts: 315 | From Florida | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is a great topic. [Smile] music is probably the most essential part of my life, and has been ever since i can remember.

at the moment i can't sleep, and i feel like sharing.. so here are some links to a bunch of my favorite songs, most of which i'd file under the category 'uplifting.' [Smile] you should be able to download them if you'd like by clicking on the links. (after you click, go to the bottom of the page it takes you to, then click on the file to download it.)

1. Looking for the Holes, Ani Difranco. (this song makes me feel less alone.)

2. Angry Anymore, Ani Difranco. (a beautiful song about forgiveness.)

3. Stormy Weather, Billie Holiday. ('cuz everyone needs a little Billie.)

4. After All, Dar Williams. (this is a beautiful song about survival, and how we're all meant to be here.)

5. The Babysitter's Here, Dar Williams. (cutest song ever written. just trust me on this.)

6. I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm, Ella Fitzgerald. ('cuz everyone needs a little Ella, too.)

7. Reva Thereafter, Girlyman. (this song was written by Nate, one of Girlyman's band members. it's about his grandmother, who took her own life last year at the age of 95. she wasn't depressed at all, but she was in severe pain and wouldn't have been able to live on her own anymore; and she had always been in control of everything in her life. beautiful and heartbreaking.)

8. Genevieve, Girlyman. (one of the sweetest love songs i've ever heard.)

9. Video, India Arie. (a great song about positive self image. every teenage girl should hear this song; and i think adults can benefit from her wisdom too!)

10. Big Yellow Taxi, Joni Mitchell. (one of my all-time favorites.)

11. Everything I Need, Melissa Ferrick. (a great reminder to be thankful for what we have.)

12. Winter, Tori Amos. (a reminiscence of childhood. beautiful.)

enjoy!!

~heather
[Big Grin]

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also find some classical music very comforting to listen to. Like Schumann's quintet in E flat. I listened to it over and over when I was sick once, and it carried me through...And Satie's Socrate was relaxing. And unaccompanied Bach string works.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmmm, yes. classical music was my first love.

there is little more beautiful than bach's solo cello suites (i'm a violinist, but i'm partial to his work for solo cello. though his unaccompanied sonatas and partitas for violin are beautiful too).

--------------------

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Virginia of Yore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Virginia of Yore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim Janis has some nice soothing and uplifting instrumental music, used by many with health problems. Some of his work has been on PBS with beautiful nature videos accompanying the music.
Posts: 193 | From Virginia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaS
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok ladies, how about Andre Rieu? Have you watched one of his dvds? Or listened to one of his orchestras? He puts sexy back into being a conductor! LOL.

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brentb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brentb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Don't give up" by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush...song gave me hope when at times I had none.

In this proud land we grew up strong
We were wanted all along
I was taught to fight, taught to win
I never thought I could fail

No fight left or so it seems
I am a man whose dreams have all deserted
Ive changed my face, Ive changed my name
But no one wants you when you lose

Dont give up
cos you have friends
Dont give up
Youre not beaten yet
Dont give up
I know you can make it good

Peter Gabriel.
Love the thread and love that Ani Defranco Music!

Posts: 731 | From Humble,TX | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

i love kate bush.

and hooray, another ani difranco fan!!

(here's her website if you're interested:

http://www.righteousbabe.com/ani/index.asp )

[Big Grin]

--------------------

trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of my favs. I got in the car, one day and it came on the CD just when I needed it most.

As Bad As It Gets
� 1997 Christine Lavin

This is the darkest hour
of your longest night
you've never been this powerless
or prayed this hard for light
wish there was something I could do
to pull you through
but the only who can handle this now
is you

This is as bad as it gets
if you can make it through this
I'm willing to bet
that you will make it through anything
the world will throw your way
this is as low as you've ever been
if you can reach deep down
tap the power within
I know that you will find the strength
to make it through this day

This is the coldest night
of your bleakest year
it's hard to fight
all the forces that have brought you here
between the anger and pain
amid the losses and gains
there's a space
if you can find it
you will rise again

I'm willing to bet
this is as low as you'll ever be
if you can stop for a minute
and listen to me
to make it through
this day

Nothing in your life has prepared you
for such a troubled time
but you're not one to give up or give in
when your life is on the line

I'm willing to bet
this is as low as she goes
if you can reach deep down
tap the power that flows within you
to make it through this day
and then I know
you will be OK
you'll be alright
don't give up the fight

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one I'm hoping to be able to sing to each one of you. (and probably myself, too.)

Weather the Storm
Ralph McTell

So you're finally over it now.
You thought you wouldn't make it,
But I knew you would somehow.
I guess I knew you could make it in the end
And it's good to have you round again old friend.

You weather the storm,
You weather the storm.
You weather the storm,
And you come up smiling in the end.

So, you're over all the disappointments now.
You thought you wouldn't make it,
But I knew you would somehow.
Maybe it still hurts to think of bad times that you spent,
But it's over, and you're back again old friend.

Chorus

Into every life, a little rain must fall,
And for sure it poured down on you.
An umbrella's no good in a hurricane,
But just like the sun in the end you come shining through.

Chorus

So, you see, it's getting better now,
You look a little battered,
But we all do anyhow.
When the break is mended it can be stronger than before.
Don't go round butting doors or punching walls.

Repeat chorus twice.

--------------------
more light, more love

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

guaranteed to make you smile.. the incredible bobby mcferrin:

click and be amazed.

[Smile]

--------------------

heiwalove
Member # 6467

okay, so i know i'm posting way too many times on this thread.. but, for the ani difranco fans, or those who are interested in checking out more of her stuff:

a few clips on youtube i really like are

here and here and here.

(the last one is politically minded and, um, anti-bush. so if you're super conservative you might wanna skip that one. come to think of it, if you're super conservative you probably won't like ani anyway.)

and this seems like a particularly fitting tribute to post now, given the atrocity that just occurred at virginia tech.

lastly, you can check out two FREE full-length ani concerts at http://www.fabchannel.com . just type 'ani difranco' in the search bar.

enjoy!

~heather
[Smile]

(edited to add: please ignore most of the comments on the youtube clips. people are just.. incredible. ugh.)

--------------------

bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shaina Noll

"Songs for the Inner Child"

http://www.shainanoll.com/

How could anyone ever tell you
You were anything less than beautiful?
You were less than whole?
How could anyone fail to notice
That your loving is a miracle?
How deeply you're connected to my soul.

bejoy

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I listen to rock more than anything
Mostly I listen to cds

currently mostly to
- My chemical romance
- AFI
- smashing pumpkins
- NIN
- Nirvana
- stone temple pilots

(although I do listen to other things like billie holiday and nina simone, and some classical )

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

up for music lovers [Smile]

--------------------

brentb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brentb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by heiwalove:
okay, so i know i'm posting way too many times on this thread.. but, for the ani difranco fans,

Cant get enough!!! Just wondering if you've heard of the little folk musician Michelle Shocked? Probably have i would guess. My fave is Short Sharp Shocked. All the songs are great but the standout imo is anchorage....classic!
Posts: 731 | From Humble,TX | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunRa
Member # 3559

Icon 6 posted      Profile for SunRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this thread! due to my head sx, I still can't listen to much music these days [Frown] (especially wacky stuff like Sun Ra Arkestra!!) but it's always been such an important part of my life and it's a wonderful therapy when I can handle it.

thanks for all the suggestions and lyrics above! heather, your song list rocked!! it was nice of you to share the files. I can't wait to listen to the ones I don't know. and I'm gonna bookmark this so I can watch those youtube clips. count me in the ani fan club!!
I'll have to look up Michelle Shocked.

using the same file sharing site, here are a couple soul classics that give me hope on dark days:

Sam Cooke - A Change is Gonna Come

and many people have a version of this one too, but for you Phish heads out there, here's their rare cover of O-o-h Child

Posts: 1563 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

quote:
Originally posted by bejoy:
Shaina Noll

"Songs for the Inner Child"

http://www.shainanoll.com/

You were anything less than beautiful?
You were less than whole?
How could anyone fail to notice
That your loving is a miracle?
How deeply you're connected to my soul.

bejoy

Thank you bejoy! I haven't heard this in years and when I was first exposed to it it was the most powerful and important thing I had ever heard.

--------------------
more light, more love

catalysT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10786

Icon 6 posted      Profile for catalysT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welp, I know EMF's are supposed to be unhealthy, but I just can't get enough mind-numbingly loud electronic music pulsating through my skull and periphery.
[lick]

In my house I've got a 10" or 12" subwoofer and some satellites, and you can sometimes hear the bass outside of my house with all the windows closed haha.

I've already blown half the speakers in my car, and I've half-blown my headphones. Admittedly I do turn the volume down lower to chill out though.

I love the following:

Psychedelic Trance
IDM
Experimental
Ambient
Drum & Bass
Dubstep
Progressive Trance
House
Tech House
Techno
Industrial
Acid Jazz
Acid House
Electro
...etc

...and there's the occasional Rock, Hip Hop, and a lot of other styles that I'll listen to.

Now I'm curious, is anybody else an fan of electronic music here?

--------------------
"You know, the worst, meanest, nastiest, ticks in the world are politicks," - Steve Nostrum

Posts: 242 | From South NJ | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brentb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6899

quote:
Originally posted by catalysT:

Industrial

I like it all. Just got turned on to Revolver1010. Kinda Industrial/gothic. very mesmerizing stuff.
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One word -

Rush.

Slavishly devoted Rush fan,

Michelle

PS That's a Lyme ribbon on the back.

PSS Snakes and Arrows world tour coming to town August 4. Can't wait! Too long since R30!!

PSSS Yes, I should wash my truck sometime. :-)

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brentb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6899

Naaaah...that truck has character...

At a time in my life (7th grade) Circumstances by Rush ruled my universe! great classic rock.

Cobweb
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by heiwalove:
up for music lovers [Smile]

and me too! Thank you. I was trying to find my way back to this and forgot where it started.

Can't wait to play around with it this weekend. [Smile]
I have more favorites but have to remember where they are,too.

Carol

Carol B
Unregistered

So here we are nearly three months later-and I have a refurbished computer I can download music on-with this thread I have lots to keep me busy now-Thanks all.

I lost all my login info-but I found a scrap of paper for my original signin.

Gotta go play now.
Carol B aka Cobweb

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement