LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » severe SOB that inhalers don't help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: severe SOB that inhalers don't help
lundeliz
Member # 10806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lundeliz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone had this kind of shortness of breath? As soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning, my chest feels heavy and after a few steps I'm huffing and puffing.

I've been given Advair which I finally tried, but didn't help, then Albuterol which did nothing either. I don't feel "wheezy" or congested, I just get very out of breath with very little exertion. I'm not able to do much. Can lyme or babs cause this kind of sob? Thanks for any opinions.

Posts: 72 | From SW Texas | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that babs can cause that feeling of "shortness of breath".

Mine seems to be worse on my feet vs. lying down.

However, shortness of breath can also be caused by other issues like POTs, mycroplasma, etc.

My air hunger did get better on first run of babs treatment.

Had many days where I could breathe just fine.

I never used an inhaler, but I had a pulmonary function test and that was fine..

Remember sitting in the ER telling them I couldn't breathe, while my finger pulsox showed 99-100% oxygenation.

No wonder they sent me home with xanax....

Lyme can also affect innervation of muscles to

The diaphragm which can also affect our abilities to get a good breath.

Frightening symptom....

Have you looked at a list of babs symptoms?

You may want to talk to your LLMD about it.

My LLMD said that air hunger is a signature symptom of babs.

I also had/have stabbing head pains, night sweats,

occasional fever, imbalance, diaphragm spasms, weight loss, etc. with my babs.

Hang in there.

There were many days that I checked my fingernail beds

To see if they were pink (not blue) and the inside of my bottom lip for the same.

It sounds silly, but it reassured me that I was still getting oxygen.

You may want to get a pulmonary function test done just to rule out other possible causes.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lundeliz
Member # 10806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lundeliz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Geneal...I have an appt. with pulmonary Dr. tomorrow. If he doesn't have any answers, I'll ask my NP about treatment for Babs. That's what I think (hope) it probably is. Thanks for the reply. [Smile]
Posts: 72 | From SW Texas | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anemia as a result of Bab and/or Bb = less oxygen delivered = feel SOB.

Check for anemia. Check B12 levels.

Elastase (which can destroy Bb) levels are up, but this -> COPD.

Research vitamin C - elastase.

Also:

Effects of Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids on Inflammatory Markers in COPD*

Conclusion: We suggest nutritional support with an omega-3 PUFA-rich diet as a safe and practical method for treating COPD.
Chest. 2005;128:3817-3827.

(Need L-carnitine to get omega 3s INTO the cells.)

"To restore energy production to damaged cells in the lungs and relax bronchial airways, the following nutrients are suggested:

� Coenzyme Q10: assists in cellular respiration and acts as an antioxidant
� Alpha-lipoic acid: functions as a cofactor in energy production, acts as a free radical scavenger, and helps regenerate the effects of other antioxidants
� Acetyl-L-carnitine: transports lipids into the mitochondria to be used in the production of cellular energy
� Taurine: may improve breathlessness and increase cardiac blood flow
� Magnesium: is a cofactor in over 300 enzymatic reactions in the body and relaxes bronchial muscles
� Potassium: weakness and fatigue are symptoms of deficiency. Consult your physician for blood testing.

http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-046.shtml

Depletion of fat-free mass (FFM) significantly contributes to decreased skeletal muscle weakness and impaired exercise capacity in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

FFM wasting suggests disturbances in intermediary metabolism, confirmed by data showing

profound alterations in the skeletal muscle amino acid (AA) status

in COPD at rest.

Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., Volume 163, Number 4, March 2001, 859-864

Translation: Omega3-omega6 imbalance.

Tiotropium is an anti-cholinergic bronchodilator that can be taken once a day for treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
PMID: 16749321

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laurie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had both the air hunger from babesiosis AND the shortness of breath from muscles in my diaphragm weakening AND the "make myself breathe" sensation just from Lyme AND adult-onset asthma. I am so incredibly sorry for anyone going through any of these sensations/conditions. All of my pulmonary tests were beautiful, no meds helped (except for the asthma attacks) and it just had to resolve. I identify with the whole checking-your-nailbeds thing. And the trips to the ER. Any time there is SOB, however, remember it can be from cardiac as well as respiratory causes so get your heart checked just in case.
Posts: 459 | From Connecticut - just across the river from the Lymes (Old Lyme, Hadlyme, East Lyme, South Lyme & Lyme) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this and it was from lyme mostly, also some babesia.

I was waking up with a suffocation feeling off and on, then it turned into daily air hunger.

It was horrid.

Biaxin and flagyl were the first antibiotics I took when I began treatment, these took it completely away.

I then had it return when i went off antibiotics and i then went on azithromycin and Flagyl, again it went away.

I then relapsed while on azithro and went on Doxycycline and the air humger went away again.

I then had it happen while on Minocycline and was swithed to babesia treatment.

This helped somewhat.

I am now on Tetracycline.

I think I need IV, but was denied it, so have to do the orals until I see if I can get the IV somewhere.

SO, in short, lyme and little babesia.

I have salbutomol, this helps mildly.
Someitmes not at all.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lundeliz
Member # 10806

Wow, thanks everyone who responded. So there are a variety of things that could be the problem. I'll try to check into all the possibilities if the pulmonary dr. doesn't find the solution.

It does help to know others have been through this not being able to breathe. It's pretty scary and frustrating. Thanks again!

CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babs or Anaplasmosis (Ehrlichiosis) can!!!
Anaplasmosis can be seronegative even if acute & fulminant!!!!!!!!!!!! MAke sure you were treated for Ehr (Doxycycline!) at some point no matter what if you have another TBD just to be safe!!!!

AND yes Lyme can cause it too and so can TBE viruses by interfering with nerves and causing nerve problems or paralysis-

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lundeliz
Member # 10806

I had my appt. with the pulmonary dr. I didn't do well on the pulmonary function test and he saw lots of white stuff on my lung xray. He'll do a lung biopsy (the kind where they go through your nose into the lungs and take samples) to see if he can tell whats causing it.

He says they'll test for lots of things like fungus, yeast, mycoplasma and others. He was very open to the idea that it may be lyme or co-infection, but says he won't be able to determine that, since thats not something they test for.

Has anyone had this done? I'm just hoping he'll find what it is and be able to treat it so I can breathe again!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement