LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » goal of lyme treatment ,cure or stability.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: goal of lyme treatment ,cure or stability.
stymielymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
many people feel that if you have a
foriegn bacteria in the body, we need to get rid of it.

i believe at the present time, that we may need to rethink the goals of treatment for lyme
disease.

i do not believe we have the knowledge , at the present time to :"cure" long term lyme disease.
i know everybody trys all these meds and have mixed results.

i do not know the present rate of cure for chronic lyme, but would expect it to be very low.
i know you see people leave lymenet saying they are cured.
but these same peole come back 3 years lter,puzzled with what happened.

these periods of remission are just that, remission.
just as in cancer it goes into remission.
you feel great, no meds and life goes semi-back to normal.
normal in lymies is a false term ,since damage
done in joints, brain and organs may never be
normal again.if you don't believe me
ask around this site.

many of us have gone into remission only to return with a slightly more agressive and resistant lyme or coinfection.
i have not made a decision yet as to whether
we can cure coinfection, since they act
totally differently than lyme and should be curable. the problem is with dx and
correct meds.

i do believe after 7 years of treatment ,
3 iv's and years of abx, that we need to
get to a remission stage, and stop the abx.
many here can not get to a remission stage ,since dx took to long, and everybody
is individual in treatment and symptoms.

i think we can live with bb in cyst forms dormant in our bodies without major harm.
i also believe that we may be doing more harm to our bodies, busting these cysts and releasing the heavy toxins released from cell
destruction.

i am now in remission, not cured,and know i am not cured.
when under stress ,my body goes back to the disease form.
i treat full force with all my weapons for
ten days then assess the outcome.
i take ten days of zithro or vantin,
plaquenil, acylclovir, vfend, lots of probiotics
and change my diet.

i am now able to treat the lyme like a cold.
it seems this puts it back into remission.

yes i do have lasting symptoms and destruction.
knees, mitral valve prolapse, high psa,
kidney stones, neuro problems.
most of these are being treated separately
now, and not in conjunction with lyme
protocol.

this is just my oppinion, and what i do at the present.
future treatment for lyme and cure will be in the form of gene therapy and immune system
development.

As with AIDS, herpes,EBV and others , i do
believe we might be best to treat in terms
of these diseases ,rather than for a cure

docdave [group hug]

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remission to the point of being able to function is the key at this point.
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be able to enjoy life again*)!*)! That was my goal- it had become just unenjoyable, too much pain.

Cavey's post says it for me now*)!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cave76
Member # 835 posted 30 April, 2007 10:22 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Hope for 'cure'

2. Hope for long term remission

3. Hope for many short term remission[s]

4. Accept feeling better

5. Then start at #1 again.

Ditto [Smile]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iceskater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceskater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope for remission, feel better, hope for long term remission./ repeat.

SmileyCentral.com

Posts: 719 | From Delaware | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After being sick since 1987, disabled since 2000, many years of treatment without a true remission (meaning I have never gotten my life back)

At this point -

I just hope. [Smile]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Wake up without a Lyme hangover

2. Wake up with a real hangover after a night of hard partying with Doc Dave on his '150 yacht, The Donald, Melania, Paris, Angelina etc etc etc.

Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katcon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katcon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi DocDave

I always enjoy your post, and the info you share.

I cure, I don't know. Years ago I thought a cure was surely possible.

After a relaspe in August and symptoms that almost killed me I would settle for a really long remission once again.

This disease is so much bigger than me alot of days.

I don't even know about stabilty some days. Day by day is how I take it. I am so thankful for the good days, and those good days are my encouragement to keep fighting.

Earlier tonite I grabbed both of my sons, and we prayed. My oldest, who is 14 yrs old, prayed that all the people with lyme disease would be cured. His exact word.

I am hoping for answered prayers tonite.

I am so thankful for this board because when this disease is taking a toll, on my body and mind you are all so encouraging and help me feel that there will be stability tomorrow.

Posts: 175 | From Pa | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remission, and the smarts to not overdo it and get sick again.
Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to think there is a cure it just takes alot of work. You have to think about it, there are alot of treatments for lyme disease out now and if you combine alot of them I could see "cure" written on someone's forhead.

ABX
Herbs
Rife
Oxygen
Magnetic Pulsers
Beck Protocol
Salt/C
"New" hydrocloric acid treatment
list goes on...

Seems to me over time if you combined several of these and used them for a long period of time that it could/should erradicate all the bacteria... Just my thought, hopefully the day comes for me!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I continue to "hope" for a cure.....

I am looking forward to remission.

I pray for all involved and continue to be affected by this/these horrible, horrible disease(s).

I want to be able to take the minimal amount of drugs/meds to feel well....

I can deal with having this come back in my life....if I can have some life without it.

I will NEVER, EVER take my health for granted again....

I guess what I am saying is that I will revel in the good days, muddle through the bad ones and

keep on hoping that one day there will be a cure or a standard

of treatment that can keep Lyme in remission.....for good.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With Columbia Research Center opening up...this is a good start.

With ILADS sharing and having the annual conferences...this is a good piece of the puzzle.

With personally knowing a person or two who had gone from being bedridden and in pain to recently going to a conference and being able to take daily showers and function normally at the conference...this gives me hope.

Since coming down with this in Oct. 2001 and not being able to work or do household chores for the most part...

I am beginning to wonder ....

Am I improving or am I just learning to adjust?

I believe I am improving. I also am not waking up feeling like a truck ran me over during the night after years of having this happen.

...I just know I do not like this and I have trouble accepting that this is how things are to be...

..especially when my own lyme doc is now living a normal life after told he had MS and treated for it for 5 years and then finding out he really had lyme disease and was treated for it 3 years or more.

...I am rambling here.

...It is a good question. As when I first came down with this...

..I would like to see data collected and stats.

..I know they are just stats but it would be of some help..a possible guideline to help others.

...we all have heard of people who knew people who had lyme disease. Same story...took a long time to get a dx...long time for treatment...but they are living a normal life now...even after being in a power chair for years.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shaz hit it on the nose!!!!
remission and control.
i do believe however, if you can get into remission, exercise is very very important to maintain remission.

exercise increases endorphin, serotonin and norepinephrine levels.
these are all used to increase the immune
systems response to a disease.
it increases the "fight or flight mechanism"
the body has to treat itself.

if it were not for my knees ,i would be out
playing tennis to lose weight and
suppress the disease process.
this worked for me for two years prior to a major relapse due to stress.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/HQ01676

this exercise must be started in a low stress environment like a pool.
it takes months to get strength to go to
normal exercise, and must not be rushed
i presently can not walk steps, but i force myself every day to walk 40 steps up and down.
yes it hurts, but it is getting easier and easier every day.

my orthopod said i would never jog again.
he also said i would never play tennis again.
well he is wrong about tennis.
i did play for a half hour yesterday, wasn't easy
but lyme is not easy.
postive attitude is the key.
i had a post 2 months ago ,where i felt like i was going to die.
these wonderful people here helped me through the crisis.

ps. yes i do have a 150 foot yacht, and also
a 50 foOt boat donnie and paris are there all the time.
donnie brings the dom
paris brings paris.
one day i'm going to throw her over the side.
and of course the infamous Lear Jet, which
caveey calls my LEER JET.
sorry to disappoint y'all but just living in West Palm Beach doesn't require you to own a yacht or jet.
if i had that much money i would open a lyme center for free treatment, not buy a silly yacht.
money has no importance to me since lyme disease.
only the desire to find a cure
and get people better.

i work doing research, but a lab would be wonderful.
maybe i'l call fallon for space at his center.
i could go up for the week and
home on weekends.

docdave

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to get rid of the seizures, sensitivity to stimuli, and fatigue and get back to teaching. I don't care whether it is called remission or cure--I just want to be normal again. And I pray this for all those here. Hiker

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8890 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Katcon, your 14-year-old's words got me all teary-eyed. How wonderful he has such sympathy for others.

For me, remission seems like a dream and a cure impossible. I hate to sound pessimistic but I've been so sick for so long with very few periods of significant improvement.

It is very hard to get to a place of acceptance and I'm not there yet.

Yesterday my joints and muscles were screaming and I had a splitting headache but I could walk so I cleaned my yard and felt "good" about it.

Functioning at 50% and accomplishing a few tasks sadly seem to be enough for me now. But on my bad days - when I'm bedridden and miserable beyond words - that's when I cry, feel depressed, and know that I want SO MUCH MORE.

I'm rambling now. Just wanted to share and shed another tear.

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

caveey: i got my tire tracks from all the trucks and trains that ran over me in 14 years.

lliny:
its ok to be mad, it ok to be mad as hell
this disease, which gets no money per se for research, has destroyed your way of life.
you must try to find the best that you can
even on your bad days.
try to read Kam's post in general, she was a teacher also in california.
every good thing that happens to her she
enjoys to no end. she makes it a habit
of enjoying life to the extent that she can.
in the last month she has received gifts of a new computer, a used car, repairs to her scooter
and she is like a child again.
she is in total misery , but finds it in herself
to enjoy life when she can.
she does not look at what she lost , but what she can do on any given day.

she posts her diary and it is heart felt
how she handles her lyme and her other
problems.

you, unfornatrly can not bring back your
old life, so you must make do and exist in the
life god has now given you.

docdave [group hug]

lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the term 'Peaceful Coexistence'
which is where I've been for the last 2 1/2 years. When people say I've been cured, I quickly point out the error of their ways. I will never be 'cured' - I just went too long untreated.

But I'll take peaceful coexistence any day over where I was. It's not a bad place to be at all..

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann in CA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 97

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann in CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I hadn't believed it would cure me, I couldn't have stuck with the dreaded flagyl for 6 months or calmed my fears about ketek enough so it could have a chance to knock the critters out of my system.

However, after much progress, I now believe that we really can only manage this invasion, in my case. But I still hope for a cure.

My LLMD would like me to give IV a try, since I have tried virtually every other oral combo. But since I went untreated for 8 years, and have spent another 8 as an informed and dedicated patient, I am hesitant to invest more in what I suspect will leave me in the same--pretty good, but not cured place I am now.

On the other hand, when I stop abx completely, the knee, or shoulder or hips or some new problem becomes serious. For someone who never even took tylenol before the tick bite, it has been truly difficult to find myself on so many abx.

My LLMD thinks the jury is stll out on Rife, so for now, abx seem to be a necessary evil in managing this disease. He says I am "abx dependent", and this may always be the case, though I hope not.

However, I do believe some people can be cured. For the rest of us, who went too long untreated, I still think there is hope. Just not in the immediate future.

Best wishes.

Ann

Posts: 287 | From Northern California, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement