LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » ER experience

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ER experience
yourtroubl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yourtroubl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just went to ER because I am having severe pain in my right arm and elbow (cant make it even with pain meds kind of pain) Plus I have a really sore throat.

So the doc says umm you should be taking Doxy so stop the meds your Lyme Disease Doctor has you on and gave me a pain pill (did not even put my name on the prescription so had trouble with pain meds at pharmacy.

When I went in my blood pressure was 96/56 which is low of course considering I have been battling high blood pressure and had not taken meds today. I ask her to take it again but she refused. She was really nasty about having to write down other meds I was taking. "I said theres alot and she copped an attitude.

I asked doc to take blood pressure again. So an assistant was taking it again before I left. Nurse came in and started talking to me during the test. Told me to stop blood pressure meds. I said well it depends on what my pressure. It was 140/100. I asked what to do and she said Its up to you. I replied no I am here for advice its not up to me I dont want to die because my pressure is either too high or low.

She said You wont die sarcastically. I asked her to take it with a regular blood pressure gage instead of electronic and she refused. She said this is what we use and thats it.

I called primary doc and he said what I knew TAKE THE MEDS.

I really want to turn this imcompetant and rude nurse into someone. Waht do you think.

Posts: 347 | From WV | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soleilpie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soleilpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would most definitely report her. She's incompetent and I think she has a dangerous attitude. It makes me sick when people who work in the medical field don't really want to be there!

--------------------
The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good, and how he treats people who can't fight back.
-Abigail van Buren (Pauline Esther Friedman) (1918-2002)

Posts: 409 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
k-lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for k-lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you really wanna get that nasty woman, here's what I would do:

Go to the HR department of the hospital and file a complaint with them. Then, go over to management or where nursing management would be a file a complaint with the head of the department. That is pretty much the best you can do. HR will most likely launch an investigation into the matter, and management will probably do something similar. Nurses like this should not be allowed to get away with this kind of abusive and negligent behavior. SO I SAY....................LETS GET HER! [cussing] ================================================================================== [Big Grin]

Take Care,
K-lyme

Posts: 227 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say NEVER trust those automatic BP machines. I went to emerg once and the machine "wouldn't work". The nurse mumbled and cursed a bit under her breath. The hospital intake was busy. She kept trying. Finally it came up with a number. It was "normal-high". Oh yea, and I was vomiting in the emerg room. Nurse still didn't get it.Yea, well...

I left, thinking I guess I'm OK and it can wait. 2 days later I had to be brought in by ambulance - I was so dehydrated the ambulance attendant had trouble finding my pulse - my BP was 80/? (couldn't find bottom number), and turned out I had a critically low level of potassium.

NEVER trust those automatic BP machines. You were absolutely right. I'm so glad you're OK. If you have the energy, I would go the reporting route. Who knows, maybe you'll save a life [Smile]

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kayda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Definitely report her. If I have a great nurse, I say something. If I have a bad one, I say something.

She had an awful attitude. When you're sick and in pain, you're at their mercy. Sometimes during my hospital stays, we've had to get someone taken off of my case.

With my last surgery, I had an awful nurse. SHe didn't take my pain seriously. She said, "Oh, I read your chart, this is the same pain you've had before." I told her, "No! it isn't and requested she contact my dr. She told me he can't do anything, but she could contact the pharmacist." [Mad] [Mad] It turns out I had a lung effusion that even someone with basic nursing skills should be able to detect!

I made a complaint to my dr. and the hospital. They followed up with a letter and phone call to me. I told them that nurse should not be dealing directly with patients and she needs more training: more compassion and professionalism.

Kayda

Posts: 582 | From midwest | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
K-lyme.....Would you please erase some of the =======????

It's making the thread go W-I-D-E ... so it's hard to read.

thanks!! [Smile]

I agree....report the nurse!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement