LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone Taking Quinine + Clindamycin ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone Taking Quinine + Clindamycin ?
Porsche
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Porsche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to go on Babs Tx soon with either Mep/Zith, or Quinine/Clindamycin. There are such mixed opinions on the effectiveness of these 2 different treatments. Q/C can work in a much shorter period of time, but it's side effects can be unbearable in some people.

I would like to know the experiences of the people that have been on Q/C at the recommended doses of 650 mg 3 X's a day for 7 to 10 days. Did you get the intense ear ringing, and did you push through it to find that it was only a temporary symptom? I know that it can be a rough combo, but it would be worth it to me as long as there was no permanent damage. I can go through hell as long as it is temporary.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
650mg of clindamycin....3 times a day???

Sounds like way more than I ever took....but that was several years ago, and maybe I've forgotten my dosages!!

I thought I took 250mg 3-4 times a day and ONE tablet of quinine daily. [I was prescribed on capsule every 5 hours during the day, but I rarely was able to get that many in.]

It's the quinine that can do you in....so go easy and if the ringing is bad, you either drop the dosage or stop the med.

You don't want permanent ringing in your ears...which CAN happen.

My LLMD says HIS patients' response is better than the response to mepron/zith by about 5%.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Porsche
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Porsche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lymetoo.

I remember reading that you said that you were on Q/C for a couple years at that small dose, and that it wasn't until you added Artemisinin and Zith that you finally got rid of it. To me that means that Babs got resistant to Q/C fairly soon at the small dose that you and many others were taking it at.

I think that it's success depends on hitting it hard for 2 or 3 rounds at the high doses. Quinine and Clindamycin both have a very short half life. That's why it's necessary to take them 3 X's a day.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let us know if it works!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Porsche
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7644

up
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Could be, Porsche. I would go easy on it at first though. It gave me the worst herx I EVER had from any meds.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Leonard
Member # 10531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leonard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like I stated in a post today. I am on my second round of clindamycin and quinine after having 10 days of plaquenil and biaxin. Am having the most horrible herx I have ever had. Thankfully I have an appointment with my LLMD in Mo. Friday.

Leonard

Posts: 43 | From Pella, Iowa | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Porsche
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7644

What dose of Q/C are you taking? This sounds like Dr C's regime.
Leonard
Member # 10531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leonard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is Dr. C's regimen. I was taking the full dose of clilndamycin and quinine the first time around with no problems. It seems like I get the horrible herx when I go from one to the other. It must be the combination of the 4 drugs in my system at the same time killing all the crappy stuff.

Leonard

Posts: 43 | From Pella, Iowa | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ticktoxic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ticktoxic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never taken either one, but I think that you are right that the smaller dose will not get rid of Babs, even over the long run. The studies say that it will work, but hardly anyone here seems to have tried it. Some do try, but reduce the dose when the ear ringing starts.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

The ear ringing can become permanent...so you have to back off the quinine if that happens.

Leonard....Go to General Support. Troutscout has a call out for all Iowa Lymies.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement