LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Do tick bites itch?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do tick bites itch?
Vanilla
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forget if they do or not?

I have a blue bruise that I just found on my thigh and I do not remember hitting my thigh on anything. It is 3 inches by one and three quarters. On the side of it is a red itchy raised dot.

Dr. S. once told me a tick bite can look like a bruise.

I hope this is not some kind of mother's day gift from hell...

I am on abx and Malarone but if it is a tick bite I could now have more co-infections.... could it be a flea bite from the stray cat that is sleeping on my deck and currently taking a cat bath out there?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonard
Member # 10531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leonard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we were in Maryland last Sept. we went for a hike in the woods near our campgrounds. A couple of days later I had a tiny red spot on my leg that was very itchy. I put hydrocortizone cream on it for the itch and sorryfully about 10 days later I got what I thought looked like ringworm. All of you can relate the rest of the story. I'm still fighting it, especially the babesis.

Leonard

Posts: 43 | From Pella, Iowa | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruth Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bite was itchy.

--------------------
When I lost my grip on Faith in the maze of illness,
Hope gently clasped my hand and led on.

RuthRuth

Posts: 478 | From California | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think so!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susiecv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susiecv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bite followed by nasty red rash was very, very itchy [Frown] (Definitely NO fair on Mother's Day)
Posts: 249 | From finger lakes, ny | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Ugh!

As I look into my crystal ball I see a third Igenex co-infection test on my horizon....

Does Igenex sell stock?

trueblue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vanilla,
I hope it's nothing nasty but take a picture if you can. One with a ruler or dime for size reference and another with your face in the pic so it's undisputable.(is that a word?)

That said, I have had bruises from scratching itchies. [Roll Eyes] Also When I had the fungal rash it had round peeling circles and itched like heck. Drove me insane.

I did have a bullseye from a bite but don't think it was a tick but that had an oval raised bite and a raised oval around it that cleared from the center. It hurt and itched. No clue what it was.

Ok, 3rd or 27th possibilty...
I have gotten bullseye rashes twice while on therapy. I mean brought out in treatment and not re-exposure. Just thought I throw that out to confuse stuff even more.

I like to think/hope my ABX are protective for a bunch of stuff. *crosses fingers; knocks wood*

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in the links/advise i sent you was aboutthis thing....

use CORN STARCH on the itch; helps dry on mine; others SOAK IN TUB helping it.

rubbing alcohol helped me a bit but corn starch works better and $$$ reasonable.

i've tried 2-3 DOZEN things; nothing helps, and YES TICK BITES ITCH! RASHES ARE AWFUL; going thru that rightnow. [cussing]

kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My initial rash back in 1996 itched soooooo badly. No one knew what it was of course..sheesh.

Anyway, I found laying in an oatmeal bath helped me. I was pregant at the time so I used only natural things.

Just buy some quaker oats and poor it into the tub. It is messy to clean up but worth it.

I also used the oat meal to cover up the rash. I mixed it with water and spread it thick on my most itchy parts. As it dryed it took alot of the itch away.

Itchies are terrible. I hope it heals soon.

kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That just really makes me wonder if the "ringworm" my

Children and I had was really Lyme!!!

Talk about itchy!

Of course it went away with diflucan.....

Go figure.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I hate to dispute all of you who had an itchy reaction, but I don't believe the bite is supposed to itch.

When the tick bites, it releases a chemical that numbs the bite site like novacaine. That way you do not feel the tick and you don't pull him off. I don't know how long the numbness lasts, but I've never itched at the site of the bite.

I ride horses, show and groom dogs and literally spend most of my time in fields and woods. I've pulled hundreds of ticks off me in my lifetime and just this past Saturday, my daughter spotted a tick on my head at the temple. It was embedded too. She plucked it off, I'm sending it to Igenex for testing. My bite site does not itch.

Lots of other insects do cause itching.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bartonella rashes itch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My itchy rash wasn't were the tick was. Actually, I don't even know where it was cuz I never saw it.

The classic bullseye rash "supposedly" does not itch but there have been dozens of other rashes reported because of a reaction to a tick bite.

My rash..which included multiple sites...all looked round with a clear center. Almost like a hive, but not quite. They all itched like mad too.

kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Texas TixanDar Dar
Member # 11865

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Texas TixanDar Dar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"MABY-MABY-NOT" My 2nd time with a He Got Me TIC, was just left of my belly-botton in 1997

. BIG, Bull's Eye. At first, it just was festering. 3 day's later,the B-Eye started to grow,

and grow,and GROW.....!It was the size of a larg pancake. It burned,and was very hot to the touch.

Not that I could call itchy.

2nd,3rd,4th,and so no, had about 6 tic's that was stuck on,and neaver knew it.

All of them since,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"ITCH","BURN","ITCH"......! The one just under my 2nd toe,to this day will just start itching.

And it dose on the top side too. Every 3-4 mos. it drives me nut's. And he got me 2 yrs. ago. Was on only 2 day's too.

The other one got me,,,,,,my,,,,,,embearising to say the part, but found him the 2nd morning. Within 4 day's both spot's were huge,

and my foot,,,,OK,,,both spot's were BURNING, ITCHING, RED&HOT.

Ive had chigger's from my knee to my big toe. But this was the worse of them all.

Called Dr. and wanted 8 week's of Doxy, and got it. My theory is if they now agree that if ya get bit, take it for 2-3 weeks, 7-10 days

just to be sure. Reaction, or not,just take it and Be Sure You Wont Get It,

just incase it did have Lyme's. I take it for3- 4 week's and now I know im safe.

I now have 4 weeks on hand for the next time,and used it last year,and got 2 tic's this year already.

And now have 4 weeks for the next time.( Great Having a Dr. that Got Lyme's with me back in 1997 April.)

6 weeks ago, I had one on the TOP Left leg,and on me for 2 1/2 hr's.

The 2nd one under my waist ban, heading for the front. He maby bit into me but just barley

becouse it only itched for a few day's. The other site,,,,,,,,Yeeper's,,,,,,HOT,RED,""ITCHEY"",

,and the size of the large ABX Bottle Cover. I do the alcohal,and proxide,and then I proceide to Dig The Skin Off with a Hair-Brush.

I know, with chiger's,,,,LEAVE-IT-ALONE,Yea,that's eazey'er said than done.....!

So, After 3-5 mins. of Diggin-&-Scratchin,,,,,,,,Ahhhhhhh, that feels better. Now all I have is a plain ol scabe.

Mine Itch like the dickins. The big one got so big and tough,maby I dident feel the itching under all that tought

as a basket-ball,and hot as a skillett. And reamber folks,TIC's are looking for warm-moist-spots.

Dont matter if it's embearising place, or not. He's looking for a eazy meal. At the time of the one by my belly-botton,

I had one on my right inside heel. Just above the callos part. Though it was a scabe,so I left it alone.

It's still thAre 3 weeks later,after my shower,and asked Ann to make sure it's only a scab................."Tiny Deer Tic...!

And he'ed done-been-eatin on me for over a month.

Dident itch a bit,and we dug him out, and the red spot was gone in 7-10 days. Daaaaaaaa !

Sooooooooooo, like every thing else, were all differant.

And the bigg'est thing is what our imune system can handle,and how it pross'es the bite of anything.

Some could die from a bee sting. Some it may bother for 3-4 day's, and some it may get to ya, for 3-4 week's.

My theory is,,,,If it bit ya,do Doxy for 3-4 weeks,then you know it will not get ya.

When the "DUCK" say's,let's wait and see what it looks like in 2 week's.

,,,,,,,,,,,if that tic is carrying Lyme's,So Are You,

and now you have to realy get sirous with the ABX's.

Putting one roung in my 357,giving it a spin, and pulling the triger,

has way better odds, than waiting for two week's, to see

if your tick-bite show's up with something.You know it was hook'ed on. And you do have a bite-site.

Some Quacky-da-Quack Duck, want's you to WAIT........? "Hello"................!

Some times, 4-5 day's is to late,and times you neaver get a rash.

If we would forget one of our Smith&Wesson's, when we got to the dock, im good with that.

We keep Doxy, Zith, and Zi-Cam, in the boat bag at all times. And a set of each at the cabin.

I Screw'ed up and dident listen to Ann for 5 week's.........! Look whAre it got me'eee, It's Your Choice...? Texas Dar ( TixanDar) OuT...............! [Razz]

[ 15. May 2007, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Texas TixanDar Dar ]

Posts: 39 | From Branson Mo. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bull's-eye rash was raised and itchy - a sign of co-infections, I think.

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

The itch is not too terrible I put some Tiger Balm on it.. it is like a mosquito bite on the side of an ughly giant bruise or that is what it looks and feels like.

I am already on abx for LD and babesia I am just hoping if it is another LD bite of a different strain and that there are no new co-infections.

I have yet to take a photo of it due to the lack of a camera... too lazy to go buy a disposable one today. I opted for garden soil for some potted flowers instead.

Texas TixanDar Dar
Member # 11865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Texas TixanDar Dar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vanilla, dont matter if ya have no camera. Just get 3-4 weeks of Doxy,and then you can rest asured,

that if it was,ya got it before it could get you. Now that I lost every thing,im on top of my game that I dont have anymore,

and keeping the Lymes away,by doing ABX's,just in case. Would'ent you like to know yr safe,

Than Wondering If Yr Safe...............! Texas Dar:p

[ 15. May 2007, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Texas TixanDar Dar ]

Posts: 39 | From Branson Mo. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Why do I need doxy if I am already on abx for LD?
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My rash did not itch. Four years later my dad was bitten. His rashes were unbearably itchy. His rashes were purply, splotchy, not like a bruise but definitely with blue purple tones.

The way it was described to me, the "migrans" part of the EM rash means it expands out. Mine was a huge long oval rash - many inches. My dad's did expand out over time. Then after the first two, he got the bulls-eye, too.

I recently asked one of my LLMDs if I needed to go on Doxy again because I had a pimply rash that could have been a bite, or maybe not (turned out not to be). She said that the Lyme medication I was on would not protect me from additional coinfections, so that was her main concern (I already have most of the coinfections so I'm guessing she was worrying about additional strains).

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Is that the deal that doxy protects people from co-infections? Did you go on it?

I am currently on Biaxin and Amoxy for LD and Malarone (for Babesia).

Do I need to add doxy to the mix?

Texas TixanDar Dar
Member # 11865

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Texas TixanDar Dar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I have learned is that once first bitten by a Tick,ya gotta do the Doxy. CDC said so.

After that,yr on yr own,and takin every thing you and yr Dr. can come up with the information you have at hand. And test's he's taken.

The Doxy, is for just after you've been biten,or supect it was a tick. They always say Doxy first.

( I think it's becouse yr only trying to kill bactrira. If ya wait 2-3-4 week's

it's now orgnized into many big clusetr's of dangerous spirialkeet's.

Now finding out what will kill the Nasty-Stuff, in ya is going to get expensive........!. )

I've been on them all,and with no help. BUT,im in late stage Lymes. It is only me,but im on Raw Garlic, and Zoloft.

The med's keep me from going nut's-O,and the garlic Boost's my imune system. It's hot,and it burn's,but after 6 mos.

of chompin down a clove a night, ( I have Ann put it in Pickle Beat Juice,to add flavor !),,,,,,and it's hot,

but I suddenly came out of the forest,and am in the wood's,and can see the grass'y field's of open sun-light.

Im recording again,and doing a few things, before I need to take a time out on the couch, Before that

And, Dar's Toy Story #2 comming out soon,how it all started.

I was ready to give it all up. Life, with out a life, was not worth a life at all..

But, it was not fair to Ann, for standing by her Man, all theese years.

I owe'd it to her to try one more time. It's a far cry from better, but it's was worth the effort,and now im recording again.

Tex [Razz]

[ 15. May 2007, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Texas TixanDar Dar ]

Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My understanding is that the typical first antibiotics for Lyme are Doxy or Amoxicillin (I was put on Doxy as my first medication, but lots of people are put on Amox as their first).

The Doxy works against Ehrlichia, too, but if you're already on Amoxicillin, you should be protected against a new tick bite in regards to Lyme, right?

When my LLMD was concerned about not being protected against coinfections, she was thinking Babesia, Bartonella, etc. because at the time I was not on treatment for those. We also have Tularemia here. It varies a bit by region.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Texas TixanDar Dar
Member # 11865

Well,,,,When my LLDR,had me on all sorts of ABX's,I wondred ,,,,,,OK,What if I got bit by a nother tick ?

Is what im on,going to cover that too.......?

Well after being a stay@home dar, with a puter,I started looking for answers ? And the most I could come up with is,

CDC is fianly addmiting that if you get bit by a tick,do 10-14 day's of Doxy.

OK, If I want to be sure,why not double that,,,,just to be sure. Reamber, our imune systems are not the same.

I barley have one with all the thing's I've got going on. Lyme's, Chrone's, Sever CFS, Depersion, Leaking Hart Valve,

and it was recalled before it was put into me. And Lyme's arthrites. I think thats all.

The Prozac helps with the thought's of No-Life, and the garlic helps with my weaken imune system.

Let's look at it from my point of view,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,If yr on ,

Da,Daaaa,Da,Daaaaa,and yr bit by a tick,would you like to take what the CDC is saying to be sure,

or hope what you are on,will do the trick........? Seems to me,

that were on differant ABX's to cover everything, and one thing.

I have 5 differant Lyme's in me,and I've been on them all.

But, I still wonder why the CDC say's 10-14 day's on Doxy,or Amoxacillin?

if yr bit by a tick. Aint it better to do the Doxy,evan if yr on other ABX's,and know your safe, than comming down with the Same-Ol-Same-Ol,

that you were in when all this started,

and the Dr. said to you,,,,,,,I Think You Have Lyme's,,,,from a TICK...!........?

...............( Oh My God ! )................

I do know that differant ABX's cover differant things.

If Doxy, is the first line of defence,if yr bit by a tick,then I'ed take it to be sure.

It's like a Crap-Game, or as Dar say's it, CaaRap-Game...!

Ya want to take a chance, or gamble with the Rest-Of-Yr-Life...? I did and lost everything.

I have no answers,but I do have my fact's. Im in late stage's Lymes.

It's to late to get anything back. But, it's not to late to keep what you still have.

And if im on Doxy, and dont need it ! It's a far cry, better than afarid to ask for it

,and be like I was 2 years ago. If a Tick bite's me, im going on Doxy, for 3-4 weeks, just to be sure.

I hate my life.....! If only Dar would listen to his wife,and go get it checked out right-a-way

.Maby it's Lyme's.Naw,it's just a wood-tick. Stupid-Dar, I only have left, what I can muster up, with what little I still have left. [Roll Eyes]

I beat my self for 13 years, becouse I let my self down, and failed to become who I wanted to be in the music bussiness.

Evan thoe it was a tick that got me.

I now except what I have left,and will do as much as I can to,take a stand on Life...!

It's not eazy, being a Junker sittin on the side of the road, with that red sticker, in yr back window, claiming yr a Lyme-Car,
......( Caution Ahead, Broaken-Part's ! )........

and neading towing-a-way, cuz yr Junk....! Just cant keep up with the New-Car's !

If im borring ya's, please tell me. I Should be in the stodio doing the last song for Vol. 5

I knew this would happen, if I got on here. ""Hey Mom'mmmm"" I found some folk's just like me,im not along AnyMore........! Dar ! OuT ! [Razz]

[ 15. May 2007, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Texas TixanDar Dar ]

PinchotGail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PinchotGail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vanilla,
I am definitely with Leonard, Kitkat, and Jill E.

I had a reddish/purple rash, that spread over time and looked pretty much like this one at the LDF website.........It was diagnosed as poison!!
One month later very tired, I had Babesia and lyme, but never saw the tick, just the God awful red/purple oozy splotch that itched very badly.
 -

Visit LFD.ORG and look at their rashes.

Also at Time for Lyme

This site has a good picture of ringworm
www.lib.uiowa.edu

Gail
 -

--------------------
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an
indomitable will ~ Gandhi

Posts: 562 | From Wellsville, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes there is irritation from the bite, and it does itch. My EM rashes did not itch, but the bites did.
 -

Vanilla
Unregistered

Now I am totally confused.

Does the Amoxy take care of the numerous co-infections or do I need to go get some doxy to add to the mix?

As far as Babesia is concerned I am on Malarone for it so that is one less co-infection to worry about.

Texas TixanDar Dar
Member # 11865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Texas TixanDar Dar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cost of 14-20, day's of Doxy is far cheeper than getting 1 more infection.

Im Sorry, if I mess'ed with yr "Thinkin-Box", but would hate to hear yr Dr. said,,,,

Look's like you have one more bug in ya from that last tick....Bite..!

Untill you have all 24-or-23, that you can get from a tick, carring Lyme's

Yr Not Out Of Danger. SEE-YA'S-LUV-YA'S-BYE Texas Dar OuT ! 4-Now

Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LLMD told us that some people have a reaction to the saliva of the tick, which causes the itching.

Yes, hubby itches when he gets a bite.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

I have contacted my LLMD about the possible bite and I am waiting to hear back from them.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement