LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is it possible to cure Chronic Lyme or Not?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it possible to cure Chronic Lyme or Not?
Kayda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kayda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Is it possible to cure Chronic Lyme or not? I've read both. Some say "Yes, it is possible & others say no."

Some say don't even attempt to treat if you missed your window of opportunity because you'll only make things worse.

I wish I knew the answer.

Kayda

Posts: 582 | From midwest | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erradicate / cure - no
Same for EBV, CMV, all sorts of viruses. You can't ever erradicate them, but you can live with no symptoms and keep them under control with a healthy immune system.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one knows the answer to this.

Studies to determine this are flawed and we really only have anecdote to go on.

I, however, absolutely refuse to believe in a "window of opportunity" theory. And I know people can improve a lot with therapy.

I think attempting to treat is always the right thing. With a husband with a so-called incurable progressive disease (MS), we'll take the long slow slog of lyme treatment anyday. And he probably had lyme for 20-30 years and is slowly getting better.

We are so glad we are treating----one thing people don't understand is that it can take a REALLY long time. One doc put his estimate at three to five years.

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD says no to a cure, but yes to remission.
Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cmichaelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A cure means that every single Bb in your body gets killed.

This is unlikely due to this fellows craftiness.

But for sure you can push it into dormancy and make it stop producing toxins, or at least reduce the toxin production, which is what's causing your symptoms.

The trick is to KEEP Bb in dormancy and to remove the toxins circulating in your body. Basically, this requires dramatic changes to your lifestyle.

Whoever told you that you can actually make it worse, either
1) was talking about the Herxheimer reaction, which is relatively short-lived, but can be excruciatingly painful, or
2) doesn't know what he's talking about...IMO.

I'm not a doctor. Just speaking hearsay and my own experience.

Michael

--------------------
I'm not an MD. The above is IMO and in my experience as well as from health related books.

I've had symptoms consistent with neurological Lyme disease since 1986. Was diagnosed with Lyme in 2004. Am feeling better now than ever before.

Posts: 702 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kayda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for your responses everyone.

As I was thinking about this whole thing, the thought came to mind Since syphillis is a similar corkscrew shaped bacteria, "What would drs. do for someone who had syphillis?" Would they tell them it's useless to treat because it can't be cured?

Wouldn't they treat and keep treating and give tons of support for all the problems caused by Syphillis? Wouldn't they try to give relief?

It makes you wonder.

Kayda

Posts: 582 | From midwest | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if you say there is no way to cure lyme you have cut out some hope. I am never going to say that there is no way to cure lyme.

I believe God can cure anything! Hiker

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8926 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10565

Yes, God can cure anything. He can use various means to do it, too. :-)

Did you read the other article about bacteria mutating when exposed to antibioitcs and making the condition far worse. Maybe it's junk science, I don't know.

We need some definite research with some definite answers.

Kayda

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think anyone knows if it can be cured or not but given the tools/research that exists today, I'd have to agree with many others, remission - yes, cure - probably not except *maybe* for new infections that are treated appropriately right away.

From what I understand, you can get worse if you create a lot of biotoxins by going on therapy and you happen to have inherited the genetics that make it hard for you to get rid of the toxins. For those types (my sister and I are in the unlucky estimated 25% of the population who have this problem), you must use special techniques to get rid of the toxins or they will continue to make you sick. You get worse on treatment because you've increased your toxin load and your body cannot get rid of the toxins.

There are tests that you can have done to determine if you have this problem. My naturopathic doctor believes that the majority of people with chronic lyme have this problem with biotoxins and I think she may be right. I am not a doctor, just my opinion. My LLMD has me on actos and cholestyramine to help my body get rid of the biotoxins. I got the impression that he automatically puts everyone on that combination when he starts treatment.

The really sad thing is that there are many who have lyme but who are told that they have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, MS ect.. and they are given no hope. Told that they have to learn to live with it. At least we have hope for a remission.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greatcod
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think its very important to consider both remission and improvement (less than complete
remission) as positive achivements. Lots of other diseases and conditions can only be improved, or even only the rate of decline lessened, by treatment.
Not to say that cure shouldn't be the ultimate goal, but to dampen the frustration and despondency while still sick.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

It takes time.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think everyone gets fixated on the word cure. Lyme follows the same principle as many other diseases. We pick up plenty of different things over our lifetime and they jump aboard and dont get off. We just learn to deal with them. Anyone who has had glandular fever or CMV. These are written into our bodies for life are they not. There is a girl in my office who had lyme and has been in perfect health since 1999. What would be the difference between her and a person who has never had lyme? None that I can see.

--------------------
Pos BB and Bart(Q & H IGG pos)
Began treat 1 year after start of illness. Diagnosed Feb 2007.

Posts: 648 | From Ireland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kendrick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kendrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. You're getting there.

--------------------
Never walk through a cornfield backwards.

About me(Yahoo): http://360.yahoo.com/profile-NR1Y8cw6fqhtrewwItSlfsgQDIhaOojd

Posts: 315 | From Florida | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In MY opinion...

Until we have a fool proof test that can determine if every keet is dead and gone... I don't think we will ever know.

Our immune systems aren't reliable in this situation as an indicator.. and man made tests so far suck... so... I guess we will have to just keep trying to make ourselves feel better and keeping fighting back.

[Big Grin]

PS- Keets have managed to survive for MILLIONS of years. I kinda doubt a bunch of meds thrown at them... which were NOT designed specifically for the purpose of killing them off.... will stop them.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you read about syphilis, it is clear that even people with
late-stage syphilis go into remission or can live totally
asymptomatically -- if they are lucky, of course.

So, why not with lyme disease? I think this is clearly a disease
where one can have it and live totally in remission,
asymptomatically, even if we have not killed every last Bb
in our body. I know, I would like to kill everyone of them off,
but even more, I would like to lose all these awful symptoms
more importantly.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Full remission- yup*)!*)!*)!!!!!!!!!

I have seen people sick 10 years plus really badly off go into full remission!!!!!!!!!!!

IV Rocephin is usually involved- around here!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
full remission, absolutely.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it can be cured, but there are a lot of things working against you. When you do get to feeling better you either stop treating intentionally or just forget about it.

You have to treat until it is completely eradicated. Could take years. But my wife is functionally the same as she was before the tick.
Joint pain once or twice a month is all she has now. The pain is getting less also. It is too easy to just let things slide instead of continuing to treat on a regular basis.

But, even if you are not cured, feeling good again is worth a lot.

D Bergy

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeinNJ
Member # 7805

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeinNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was treated with Ketek and then Biaxin and Tindamax for 18 months. I enjoyed a glorious 7 months remission with absolutely no symptoms. Four weeks ago, the symptoms returned in a tidal wave. Hopefully, my message follows the wisdom of this thread - instead of fixating on "cure" we need to cherish improvements and windows in which some of us our truly symptom free.

As a rule of thumb, I like many of you spend hours pouring over publications, protocols and books. I tried a variety of herbal supplements, have seen two LLMDs and try to take care of my personal health.

The most difficult part is the onion-like peeling process we go through as patients. There is no "truth" to be discovered. Rather there are many well thought out modes of treatment among LLMDs. These modes may often be in conflict with one another and include varying mixing of oral and IV antibiotics, herbal supplements and general care advice. Furthermore, we are told at times to exercise and at times to not push ourselves.

All of this places patients in an emotionally and intellectually perplexing quandary - how do know if we are getting the "right" treatment? How do I know if my LLMD is the one for me? When should I go for a 2nd or 3rd opinion? Is IV really the way to go or will oral antibiotics do? And finally why do so many people villanize chronic lyme patients as borderline nuts or chronic hypochondriacs?

Like you all, I wrestle with these thoughts and like many of you I cherish the good moments and celebrate minor improvements.

Please know how much we can help each other as a community and move forward collectively.

Posts: 44 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yourtroubl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yourtroubl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you guys serious cured. No one even wants to admit it exists. Those who realize it does are afraid to treat it. Those who do realize it put their lives in jeopardy to treat it.

How can we get a cure for something that seems to be an epidemic but everyone wants to dismiss that it even exists.

I could not believe it when I was finally diagnosed what an ordeal it was to be treated. I had heard of Lyme Disease, never believed I could get it. But I am a statistic now in the State of WV because I have been turned into the Center for Disease Control and the State Health Department, yet "it does not even exist in WV according to ID docs and others"

I tested positive, have all the symptoms and yet I just dont look like I have Lyme so ID doc does not believe it.

I am being treated orals and now to start IV but I was lucky to find a doctor that used to be a Psychiatrist, boy I need that part of him too, that is treating me.

What about those fighting to get treated. Its a shame.

Posts: 347 | From WV | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kthompson
Member # 11931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kthompson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi I am new to the boards here but I have to reply to this one. I was FINALLY diagnosed with Lyme about 7 years ago, after various drs and various treatments I went into "remission" about a year ago. This Jan my symptoms came back with a vengance. The problem is I have new drs and am starting back at square one, very frustrating but at least they agree that it is lyme, how to treat me is another issue. I hope they figure it out soon, I don't want to have to jump around looking for a new dr that knows what to do. I can't afford the LLMD that I was going to so I don't know where to turn.
Posts: 3 | From Connecticut | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yourtroubl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yourtroubl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its infuriating. And I guess I am pretty new too since I was only diagnosed in January but it took a stroke to get the test and diagnosis.

The disease is in some cases worse than cancer. You hurt, you are tired, you lose your will to live sometimes. But its all in our heads, I guess. I must just like sitting in bed 22 hours a day and losing 50,000.00 in income a year right now. Dream come true.

Posts: 347 | From WV | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement