LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does + IgM mean recent infection or not?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does + IgM mean recent infection or not?
starfish1995
Member # 11809

Icon 1 posted      Profile for starfish1995     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I apologize if this has been covered already, but I am brand new to the lyme thing and have a question about my 8 year old son's results (below). Do his resulsts mean recent infection? His other pediatrician yesterday called and insited that his + IgM meant he has a recent infection. I thought it could mean a persistent infection, but she said, no, a persistent infection would produce a +IgG which he does not have. Help please!

IGenex Labs:

Lyme Igg Western Blot

Igenex IGG Result - Negative

CDC/NYS Result - Negative

(The only band that was positive was a ++ in band 41)

Lyme IgM Western Blot

Igenex IGM result: Positive
CDC/NYS result: Negative

18 kDa +

22 kDa -

**23-25kda IND

28 kDa -

30 kDa ++

**31 kDa ++++

** 34 kDa IND

**39 kDa IND

**41 kDa IND

45 kDa -

58 kDa -

66 kDa +

73 kDa -

**83-93 KDa +

Posts: 15 | From PA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ldfighter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ldfighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a common misconception that +IgM only represents recent infection. It can also represent persistent infection according to Igenex (they provide references to back up this statement at http://www.igenex.com/lymeset2.htm )

What's more, early infection usually does not produce a response to band #31, which is specific for Lyme and usually indicates a later infection.

Posts: 621 | From US | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My WBs were always weakly + IgG results, I had late infection when diagnosed.

Anyway, the reason I am posting is my WBs converted last year (some 11 years after diagnosis) to primarily IgM. I was not reinfected.

Starfish, will they treat him either way?

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starfish1995
Member # 11809

Icon 1 posted      Profile for starfish1995     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your prompt and very helpful replies.

I will forward this to the pediatrician. She was all ready to prescrib a month of doxycylcine becasue she was certain Samuel had been recently bit by a tick given his IgM results.

But after a whole lot of reading, I decided to do the Buhner protocol with my son. He has autism. I started the protocol last wednesday and am slowly ramping up each herb, one at a time. In fact I am treating myself and BOTH my boys.

Just started with Cat's Claw on Weds, and will add the other herbs one at a time as they arrive.

I hope this is the ticket especially for my 8 yo son with autism.

Thanks again,

Beth

Posts: 15 | From PA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
davidx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davidx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tested IGM positive in October 2005 but IgG negative. I recently had another lyme test done by yet another lab (April 2007) and tested IGM positive but IgG negative.

The LLMD I am seeing said that the IgM can represent an active infection which in my case may be the case since I don't think 1.5 years is very recent!

-David

--------------------
Same nightmare, different day!

Posts: 401 | From East Coast | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement