LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » "A Spike in Lyme Disease" on Fox News

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "A Spike in Lyme Disease" on Fox News
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fox News 5 in DC aired a segment about the increase in lyme cases in the Northern Virginia area. They interviewed a representative from Virginia Dept of Health and my daughter. We were disappointed that they didn't include her description of symptoms, but they at least got across that your backyard is no safer than the woods.

There is a video clip on their website:www.myfoxnewsdc.com in the health section.

We got Molly, the dog in the clip, for our daughter when she first got sick. We soon learned that she had lyme too! At first, the vet said there was no need to treat because she was asymptomatic (they said her inflammatory bowel disease was not from lyme). But two years later, they put her on a month of doxy! Wish the human docs were as quick to accept change!

Posts: 422 | From Herndon, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much better coverage than the Post article that came out the same day.

Watch the video!

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched it at myfoxdc.com

Went to health and there was the lyme segment.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here's the link:

http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=3213317&version=4&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.5.1

any news about lyme helps!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't get it to stop dancing around. It goes from one page to another and back again. It never gets to the story. I tried it two ways, but never could get it. Perhaps everyone is trying to see it at once? I'll try again later.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
At first, the vet said there was no need to treat because she was asymptomatic (they said her inflammatory bowel disease was not from lyme)
Sheesh!!! If we couldn't talk and *tell* people how crappy we feel, how would they know since many of us look normal. How does the vet know your dog is asymptomatic (aside from bowel problems) [confused]

Glad to hear your dog got treatment. My dog died of what I'm pretty sure was lyme. Dog had tick. Took the tick and dog to the vet. Vet said "We don't have lyme here". Dog had various symptoms for several years and then died with symptoms that look like lyme now that I know what it looks like. Vet was mystified.

Glad to hear your State is getting some press.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Actually in our northern VA area the vets say 90% of the dogs are testing positive for lyme.
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally got it to work. Good story!

I guess I should count my younger dog lucky not to have tested positive for lyme yet. Of course, we're due for a check -up and it could change, but she isn't showing any signs of it, *crossing fingers and toes*. [Wink]

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all.. what a beautiful daughter. So sorry she was Lymed.

Second.. GREAT coverage! VERY important!

I just thanked them for it.

Thank YOU for doing this important project. You will never know how many folks that will help.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks TC! At least in a TV presentation, people can see and judge a lymie for themselves! Does she look demanding, loud or intimidating, as characterized by the Post and Forbes articles? Don't think so!

I think TV coverage is our best avenue for accurate representation. It's a little harder to manipulate. By the way, has anyone heard how the screening of "Under our Skin" went? I am really counting on this film to bring us into the light!

Posts: 422 | From Herndon, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She is gorgeous and I hope she is back to a normal life again--breaks my heart thinking of all the children whose parents and docs don't know what they have and they continue to suffer...

Hugs,
Kim

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

I know I keep writing on this thread but I think it is so important that fox news hear positive feedback from us so I would encourage folks to view the segment.

And also the Ladies Home Journal!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement