LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Babesia without fever?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Babesia without fever?
BartonFink
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10818

Icon 5 posted      Profile for BartonFink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible to have babesia without fever? I've been having severe air hunger, weakness and dizziness for a week now. My doc doesnt think that I have babesia because I have no fever.

--------------------
Please dont suggest "ask your LLMD" because we dont have them here in this country... [Frown] I just have to count on you fellow patients. [Smile]

Posts: 246 | From Finland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it is possible. They don't know everything about these co-infections yet. They are only scatching the surface.

My sister went through a simular problem with a supposed LLMD here in Michigan. He refused to test or treat her for Babs because she did not have night sweats or air hunger. She only had maybe one or symptoms on the list. But she had been on abx for lyme for over 3 years and wasn't getting better.

She eventually left the state to see an excellent LLMD in NY.(who was not convinced she had it either) But he did test her, and she came up POSITIVE.

She is finally getting better after 6 years of treatment.

Oh BTW- My mom never ran fevers, had night sweat, or air hunger, but she did have uncontrolable fears and severe anxiety which has dramatically improved since she has been treated for babs.

Some people don't get all the classic symptoms. I know one LLMD treats everyone for babs especially if they are not improving with lyme treatment.

Good luck,
Lisi

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BartonFink
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BartonFink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lisi, thanks for your answer. That was really interesting because I have been wondering why I haven't had any improvement with Lyme in 6 months.

Which treatment did you sister and mom use for babesia? Thanks

--------------------
Please dont suggest "ask your LLMD" because we dont have them here in this country... [Frown] I just have to count on you fellow patients. [Smile]

Posts: 246 | From Finland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My lack of fever or sweats caused me to (stupidly) skip co-infection testing. Also, I was financially challenged and figured 'I just have lyme, I'm sure I don't have any of that stuff.'

A year later, still not better, I got off my duff and tested for babesia, coming up positive for WA-1.

Treated with Mepron, Zith, and Artemisinin; two rounds of a few months apiece. After a couple months off treatment, it comes back.

DON'T put too much weight on "typical" symptoms for babesia and particularly, sweats or fevers. I was opposite, with constant chills.

Good luck.

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, did not believe that I had babesia, but I certainly believe it now. I did not have the typical sweats or fever or chills. However, I had been receiving aggressive treatment for lyme, including most recently, hyperbarics, and was not improving. In fact, after the hyperbarics, my joint paint and fatigue increased dramatically. My legs felt very heavy, especially when I climbed the stairs. After talking with people on this board who have gotten better and talking with my LLMD, I am now treating for babesia. My joint pain has reduced (except for when I'm herxing) and my legs no longer feel so heavy. I've also noticed for the first time in 2 1/2 years that my temp which is normally around 96.5 is now normal...98 or above....The back of my neck still gets hot and I'm still breaking out in rashes on my chest and neck but these symptoms could just be part of the herx....

The only thing I want to pass along about babesia is it seems that some people on this board have had a very difficult time eradicating this co-infection. Some feel that longer treatment is necessary. Others seem to have alleviated symptoms after two to three months. I think you just have to be vigilant and communicate with your LLMD. It's so hard to tell with babesia because there are so many different strains.

Also, don't be too concerned if you really herx on the babesia meds. It's a rough herx for many people...emotinally and physically....Hang in there!!!

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nancyf723
Member # 7505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nancyf723     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was tested for Babesia, twice, both times negative. I did not have night sweats or a fever, so we targeted the Lyme.

After two years with little improvement we started treatment for Babs. Six months of zith 1000mg & Mepron. I made decent progress, stopped treatment due to ringing in ears.

Had to start again after 5 months. This time, Biaxin and Malarone. Making wonderful progress.

Anxiety, exhaustion, stiff neck, twitching, dizziness, sore feet almost ALL GONE!!!

Hang in there it can be a long bumpy road.

Posts: 69 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't have fevers, but did have sweats, air hunger, heart palps, etc. I'm being treated for babs.

After four months of treatment, I'm now getting fevers.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister and mom are both on Zithro & Malarone. Both of them are on pediactric doses. I think 250mg of zithro every other day. Along with the pediactric dose of Malarone(I don't remember the exact doseage), and these doses are working well for them.

My mom was never tested for Babs, but because of her behavior I asked her LLMD to treat her for Babs since my sister had been improving so much. (They had simular symptoms.)

Plus the tests are so VERY inaccurate, you have a 98% chance of testing negatively if you have one of the strains that is not tested for.

Also when you start babs treatment it will bring more babs symptoms out. (as Six mentioned)

Take Care,
Lisi

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

Babs can cause really wacky symptoms --
They can change Quickly - move around -

There is Not a certian order that they
show show up in --

These are some of Most common tho --

Night sweats -

Low Body temp 97 - 93 F --

Crazy heart beat -

Air hunger --

Symptoms Worsen at night (2am) -

I did not get air hunger for 18 yrs-
until I was on Babs treatment for 8 months -
- lasted 2 months- now gone - no Fun

Drinching night sweats started about 4 yrs
after infection for me - then were constant-

Feeling chills or feeling hot or sweating
has little to do with your actual body temp -
Check temp threw the day --

Babs is a Very tuff bug --
Very common -

Babs caused my worst symptoms -Many-
Extreme Joint Pain was worst ( cracky)-Ouch
Joint pain started within 2 months of infection-
Was Horrible -- Hell on Earth --

Now 99% gone --AAAhhhh --

Hope this helps -Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement