LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Western Blot...Re-test?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Western Blot...Re-test?
Baron
Member # 11666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Baron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend, an infectious disease doctor, whom I discussed my condition with, said it would be in my best interest to take a 2nd Western Blot test due to the false positives that some individuals may receive. On my first, performed by IGeneX, I was IGenex IgG positive. However, because I am skeptical, I am thinking of re-testing. What are your thoughts? How much greater is the accuracy of the diagnosis if you test positive twice? I appreciate the feedback.
Posts: 24 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would def. get it done again if you have the money.

I want to get it done again eventuallly, but dont have the money now, and dont need to get it done again

YET.

However, if this Bartonella treatment does not work for me, then I think I am going to have to get it done, if I want IV here in Canada.

My LLMD said it would be a good idea to get it done again, if I wanted the IV.

Also, when I went to the Infectious Disease Dr here, he said that I did not need IV, as I had been on orals for over a year, and that the

lyme should be gone.

So, if I want IV and feel that I need it, I think I am going to have to get the IGENEX western blot done again, I do worry though....

what if, it comes back negative this time.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To start with Infectious Disease Ducks are not Lyme Literate, so take the advice you got and throw it out the window!

While false negative tests are common, false positive Igenex test are not the norm. If you got a positive test, find a LMD and begin treatment.

You don't need another test. You have already had the best around and it is positive, which many of us cannot get. Save your money for treatment, you may well need it.

Good luck!

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are there different tests that igenex does to find out if you have babs or erch?

if it comes back as straight lyme, should you ask for specific tests for co-inrections?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Baron,

If you have the money go ahead and do it. But, in my non medical opinion, one positive test should be good enough.

It would be way more likely to have a false negative than a false positive. What if you get re-tested and it comes up negative? That will just throw you into a whirlwind of confusion.

Why not start some treatment and see how it goes? If you are concerned about the testing you could give Dr. Nick Harris a call at Igenex.

Now, to the point of your friend being an ID doctor. Maybe you could help him out. Do you have an LLMD? Is this ID a good friend of yours? Maybe he would be willing to tag along to some of your LLMD appointments with you. He could probably learn alot and you would be responsible for that.

I had IND testing through Igenex. Bartonella positive and negative for other co-infections. I am happy being treated with those results.

Sometimes you have to take your chances and go for treatment. I had a difficult time accepting that at first. I needed someone to tell me YES..you have lyme. There was no one to tell me that though..not even my LLMD. He said my symptoms look like lyme..my tests look like lyme..but we have to put together a plan and start treating it to see if it is Lyme.

Sorry to rattle..I have just been in that situation before.

Good luck with your decision..but really...think about it. How are you going to feel if it says negative?

kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
davidx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davidx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Each test is done independently so I think the accuracy of each test is the same. IGENEX tests are more accurate than other Western Blots because their blots are just more sensitive to BB.

Regarding ID docs and LLMD docs, ID docs in general follow the IDSA guideline which dispute the condition of chronic lyme. LLMDs however, follow ILADS guidelines which operate under the CORRECT information that chronic lyme does exist.

So if it makes you feel better, go ahead and re-test but I would bet you that if you were IgG positive through IGENEX the first go around that you will still be positive the second time.

Good luck!

-David

--------------------
Same nightmare, different day!

Posts: 401 | From East Coast | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As my LLMD says, "I see the test, but what are your symptoms?"

I had my initial WB via Quest...didn't know better.

Only one band IgM 23 came back positive.

When I saw the LLMD for the first time I asked if I needed to retest.

Went through my symptom list.

He said it would be a waste of time and money...

I would have liked to see what Igenex found in me, but am glad my LLMD

Was confident enough based on the blood work I had and symptoms to diagnose me.

Please find yourself a Lyme Literate Medical Doctor.

Are you in any treatment? Receiving any meds?

Just so you know that if you decide to re-test for Lyme,

Get off antibiotics for ten days prior to the test.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron
Member # 11666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Baron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am seeing a LLMD, or so I was told. For almost two months, I have been on 3000mg/day of amoxicillan, and on 750mg/day of flagyl for almost a month. During that time, I have gone really downhill, as all my symptoms (which are neurological) have gotten worse, and some new symptoms have appeared. LLMD says it could be the bugs dieing, but it's hard for me to believe. I, like many others who have been on a constant search for the reason and/or cure of their ailment, am extremely confused and would like to know with certainty what is causing this anguish that I have been experiencing for several years.
Posts: 24 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think "false positives" are HIGHLY overrated!!!

Keep reading!!

Wild Condor's Links and information:
http://www.wildcondor.com/lymelinks.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baron, others here know a lot more about this than I do, but....

Before I would consider re-testing for Lyme, I would push my doc for tests for co-infections! You didn't mention those at all.....

If you have something else going on besides Lyme, it could explain a lot about what has happened during your treatment....

Sorry, but it almost sounds like this guy wants to keep testing you until he gets the answer he wants - NO LYME.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baron,

I think you've had alot of good responses here from people who have "been there, done that".

You have only had 2 months of abx, thats not alot! And it is normal to go downhill after first taking abx. (its called herxing OUCH!!)

You can read about it here:
What is a herx reaction?

It took me a good 4 - 6 months before I really started feeling better, but everyone is different. Most people have the worst time for the fist 4 months of treatment, then they see an improvement.

After that time if your not seeing an improvement then I would make sure you are treated for co-infections (and tests are even more unreliable for co-infections)

Also please read the newbie help links, there is so much infomation there about testing, abx, herxing and so much more. Here is the link:
Newbie Help Links

Also, I have had 4 western blots, and they all came out different(they were at different times during treatment & prior to treatment). But I know that I have made progress with abx. It just takes time.

I hope this information helps you,
Lisi

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is your doctor a member of ILADS? If so then you are on the right track.

Your response is common and in fact I am having the same response. Dead bugs cause many symptoms because when they die they release toxins and even metals into the tissues which cause inflammation. Bb lives in the tissues more than in the blood.

When Bb and some other bugs die they create biotoxins. About 25% of the population has difficulty getting rid of those toxins. If you are one of the 25% who can't get rid of them as I am, then you may never get well without specific intervention. Even if you aren't one who has difficulty getting rid of them, your system can be overwhelmed when you start killing a large load of bugs.

Are you on a biotoxin binder such as cholestyramine? Are you taking anything for binding metals? What are you doing for detox? Have you had co-infection testing or evaluation? If you have a babesia infection you will need to be treated for that before you start feeling better. Research and then talk to your LLMD about these issues.

Sounds like you really need to spend some time reading and learning about lyme and co-infections so that you can have a better idea for yourself if you are on the right track. I'm not a doctor but I've been spending serious time and energy for the past several years pouring over books, studies and other materials relating to lyme and with a positive IgeneX test, I'd pursue treatment.

Your ID friend means well I'm sure but he himself needs to be educated regarding lyme and co-infections. The IDSA party line is a sham.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cmichaelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You got a positive test. Accept it and run with it. Start your treatment right away.

If you decide to get second test, it could very well be that that test turns out negative...for a number of reasons.

However none of those reasons will be that "you don't have Lyme disease."

Antibodies fluctuate over time...even throughout the day, I've heard.

Over time, Bb also start to leave your blood. It doesn't like blood. This is why so many peoploe with chronic Lyme keep testing negative...namely because Bb prefers tissue and if it is in your blood it may very well be in the cyst form where antibodies can't get to it.

Again, do NOT waste your time or money on a second test...IMO. You DO have Bb in your body.

I'm not an MD. The above in IMO.

Michael

--------------------
I'm not an MD. The above is IMO and in my experience as well as from health related books.

I've had symptoms consistent with neurological Lyme disease since 1986. Was diagnosed with Lyme in 2004. Am feeling better now than ever before.

Posts: 702 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent reply, Michael!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Main stream medicine led by the CDC is so contradictory. The CDC sets up test guidelines that are for research purposes and almost impossible to achieve. The CDC says we cannot treat you your test was negative. It is all in your head. But when the test is positive. They say take it again it is probably a false positive. You can't win for losing with Lyme.
Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement