LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Vitamins, Minerals and Deficiencies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vitamins, Minerals and Deficiencies
Vanilla
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.something-fishy.org/dangers/vitamins.php

Vitamins, Minerals and Deficiencies

**It is essential to get vitamins from food. Supplements should be taken in addition to meals and with meals for their essential and proper absorption.**

Vitamin Deficiencies

Vitamin A (Beta-Carotene):

Found in fish and liver, green and yellow fruits and vegetables, Apricots, asparagus, beets, broccoli, butter, cantaloupe, carrots, cheese, garlic, green olives, milk products, mustard (fresh), papaya, parsley, peaches, prunes, red peppers, sweet potatoes, spinach, sweet potatoes, pumpkin and watercress._

BODY PARTS AFFECTED:_

Bones, eyes, hair, immune system, skin, soft tissues and teeth._

DEFICIENCYSYMPTOMS:_

Acne, allergies, loss of appetite, blindness, colds,
dry hair, eye sties, fatigue, insomnia, impaired growth, itching and burning eyes, loss of smell, night blindness, dry skin, sinus trouble, steroid synthesis reduction; Decreased immune system function, cancer susceptibility. (Vitamin A is essential for bones and teeth and protects against cold and flu.)

Vitamin B Complex:

Found in dairy products, meat, nuts and vegetables high in protein, broccoli, beans, brown rice, cabbage, cauliflower, cheese, eggs, fish, meat, milk, poultry, pork, oatmeal, raisins, spinach, asparagus, nuts, peanut butter, brussel sprouts, whole grains, and yogurt._

Body cells, eyes, gastrointestinal tract, hair, liver, mouth, nervous system, skin._

DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS:_

Acne, anemia, appetite loss, bad breath, cholesterol (high), circulation (poor), constipation, dark tongue color, depression, digestive disturbances, fatigue, dry hair or hair falling out, hypertension, insomnia, tender/painful leg muscles, nervousness, dry or rough skin. Problems muscle tone in the gastrointestinal tract, and liver. Depression and anxiety. Anemia, contributes to electrolyte imbalances. Memory loss, nervous system disorders, and immune system problems (low platelet count).

Vitamin B12:

Found in beef, blue cheese, cheese, clams, crab, fish, eggs, herring, kidney, liver, mackerel, milk and milk products, pork, seafood and tofu. It is not found in vegetables - only in animal sources._(all vitamin B supplements should be taken together)._

liver, nerves, red blood cells, gastrointestinal tract._

appetite loss, diminished reflex responses, fatigue, irritability, memory impairment, mental depression and confusion, nervousness, pernicious anemia, unpleasant body odor, walking and speaking difficulties, weakness in arms and legs. A deficiency can cause problems with digestion, absorption of food, metabolism of carbohydrates and fats, nerves, fertility, growth and development. There can also be hallucinations, memory loss, eye disorders, and anemia. A vitamin B12 deficiency can indicate there is a problem with absorption (common in people with digestive disorders).

Vitamin C:

Found in green vegetables, berries and citrus fruits, asparagus, broccoli, beef liver, brussel sprouts, cantaloupe, cauliflower, citrus fruits (like grapefruit and oranges), lemons, mangos, sweet peppers, pineapple, radishes, spinach, strawberries, and tomatoes -- just about all fresh fruits and vegetables._

Adrenal glands, blood, bones, capillary walls, cells, connective tissue (skin/ ligaments/ bones/ gums), heart, mucous membranes, nervous system and teeth._

anemia, bleeding gums, breath shortness, capillary wall ruptures (bruise easily), dental cavities, low infection resistance (colds), muscle degeneration, nosebleeds, poor digestion, stress, weakened cartilages, blood clots, and slow healing wounds. Vitamin C helps prevent infection, enhances immunology and can help prevent cancer.

Vitamin D:

Found in fish and dairy products fortified with vitamin D. Also: Eggs, butter, milk, oatmeal, salmon, sardines, sweet potatoes, and tuna. And, vitamin D can be converted from the action of sunlight on the skin!_

Bones, heart, kidneys, nervous system, skin, teeth and thyroid gland._

DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS:_Brittle and fragile bones, burning in mouth and throat, diarrhea, insomnia, irregular heartbeat, low blood calcium, myopia, nervousness, pale skin, poor metabolism, rickets, sensitivity to pain, soft bones and teeth, Osteoporosis and Osteopenia, and hypocalcemia. Vitamin D also enhances the immune system.

Vitamin E:

Found in vegetable oils, whole grains, vegetables (dark leafy green), nuts and seeds, spinach, almonds, herring, kale, peanuts, brown rice, cornmeal, eggs, milk, oatmeal, organ meats, sweet potatoes, soy beans, unrefined cereal, and wheat germ._

Arteries, blood vessels, heart, lungs, nerves, pituitary glands and skin._

Enlarged prostate gland, gastrointestinal disease, dry or falling out hair, impotency, miscarriages, muscular wasting, muscle weakness, sterility. Decreased circulation, slow tissue healing, leg cramps. Vitamin E helps prevent cancer, cardiovascular disease, cataracts and reduces scarring from some wounds. Zinc and Vitamin E work together.

Vitamin K:

Found in alfalfa, broccoli, dark green leafy vegetables and soybeans. Also: brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, egg yolks, liver, oatmeal, rye, and wheat._

BODY PARTS AFFECTED:_Blood, bones, metabolism and liver function._

DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS:_Brittle or fragile bones, low platelet count in blood and poor blood clotting, high glucose in blood. Vitamin K plays an essential role in blood clotting and bone formation. Can help to prevent osteoporosis. Vitamin K also converts glucose into glycogen for storage in the liver.

Folic Acid:

Found in beans, beef, bran, barley, brown rice, cheese, chicken, dates, green leafy vegetables, lamb, lentils, liver, milk, oranges, organ meats (like liver), split peas, pork, root vegetables (like carrots), salmon, tuna, whole grains, whole wheat and yeast._

BODY PARTS AFFECTED:_Metabolism, red blood cells, overall growth and development, and nerves._

Sore tongue, B12 deficiency, depression or anxiety, and fatigue. Folid Acid is needed for energy production, protein metabolism, the formation of red blood cells and it vital for normal growth and development. A deficiency of Folic Acid may contribute to depression and anxiety, a B12 deficiency, and birth defects in pregnant women.

Mineral Deficiencies

Calcium*:

ONE OF THE ESSENTIALS IN MAINTAINING ELECTROLYTE BALANCE --

Found in dairy foods, seafood and green leafy vegetables, sea vegetables (arame, dulse, hijki, kelp, wakame), molasses, nuts, almonds, asparagus, broccoli, buttermilk, cabbage, carob, cheese, shell fish, kale, oats, parsley, prunes, whey, tofu and yogurt._

BODY PARTS AFFECTED:_Blood, bones, circulatory/ digestive/enzymatic/ immune and nervous systems, heart, muscles, skin, soft tissues and teeth._

DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS:_Arm and leg numbness, brittle fingernails, eczema, fragile bones, headaches, heart palpitations, hypertension, insomnia, irritability, muscle cramps, nervousness, osteomalacia, osteoporosis, osteopenia, periodontal disease, rickets, tooth decay; Irregular heartbeat and slowed nerve impulse response, decreased muscle growth, aching joints, and arthritis. Calcium is an essential mineral for overall health.

Vitamin D is essential for proper calcium absorption and utilization.

Chromium (GTF): Found in apples, black pepper, calves liver, cheese, meat and whole grains, grapes, cheese, chicken, corn and corn oil, dairy products, mushrooms, potatoes, beer, oysters, brown rice and dried beans._

Adrenal glands, brain, blood, circulatory system, heart, immune system, liver and white blood cells._

DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS:_Disturbed amino acid metabolism, increased serum cholesterol, impaired glucose tolerance, lack of energy, myopia, protein/calorie malnutrition, susceptibility to infection; Lowered or escalated blood sugar levels, coronary artery disease. It is essential to the metabolism of glucose and is needed for energy and the synthesis of cholesterol, fats and protein.

Copper: Found in almonds, avocado, beans, barley, cauliflower, nuts, lamb chops, oranges, organ meats, peanuts, pecans, raisins, salmon and seafood (especially oysters), legumes, green leafy vegetables, radishes and soybeans._

BODY PARTS AFFECTED:_Blood, bones, circulatory system, hair, and skin._

DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS:_depression, elevated serum cholesterol, fractures and bone deformities, general weakness, impaired respiration, skin sores. Osteoporosis, slowed healing procsss, poor hair and skin coloring and loss in taste sensitivity. Copper works in balance with zinc and vitamin c to form elastin and aids in the formation of bones and red blood cells.

Iodine:

Found in iodized salts, seafood and kelp. Also: asparagus, fish, garlic, lima beans, mushrooms, sesame seeds, soybeans, spinach (cooked), turnip greens._

BODY PARTS AFFECTED:_Immune system, thyroid, brain._

DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS:_Decreased chances of breast cancer, slowed mental and physical development. Thyroid dysfunction. Iodine is needed for a healthy thyroid. Mental retardation may result from an iodine deficiency in children. It is only needed in trace amounts.

Iron: Found in eggs, clams, fish, liver, meat, poultry, dark green leafy vegetables, enriched breads and cereals, brewer's yeast, dates, dulse, egg yolks, kidney and lima beanss, lentils, millet, parsley, peaches, pears, dried prunes, pumpkins, raisins, rice and wheat bran, sesame seeds and soybeans._

Blood, bones, metabolic system, muscles, nails, skin and teeth._

DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS:_Breathing difficulties, brittle nails, dry or falling-out hair, dizziness, iron deficiency anemia (pale skin, fatigue), constipation, sore or inflamed tongue. Iron is vital for it's production of hemoglobin and oxygenation of red blood cells. Needed for healthy growth and the resistance of disease, and for a healthy immune system and energy.

Magnesium*:

ONE OF THE ESSENTIALS IN MAINTAINING ELECTROLYTE BALANCE --

Found in most foods, especially dairy products, fish, meat and seafood. Also: apples, apricots, bananas, brown rice, figs, garlic, lima beans, peaches, salmon, sesame seeds, tofu, green leafy vegetables, wheat and whole grains._

BODY PARTS AFFECTED:_Arteries, bones, cells, digestive/ immune/ nervous and reproductive systems, heart, nerves, and teeth._

DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS:_aching muscles, anxiety, broken nails, confusion, decreased blood pressure and body temperature, disorientation, easily aroused anger, hair loss, hyperactivity, insomnia, muscle tremors, nervousness, noise sensitivity, rapid pulse and sound sensitivity. Deficiency interferes with the transmission of nerve and muscle impulses, causes depression and dizziness, muscle weakness, twitching, heart disease and blood pressure problems, and disruption in proper pH balance. Magnesium plays an important role in the formation of bone, carbohydrate and mineral metabolism. It is vital to enzyme activity and assists in calcium and potassium uptake. Use of diuretics, laxatives, vomitting and diarrhea can significantly contribute to the body's need for magnesium.

Phosphorus*:

ONE OF THE ESSENTIALS IN MAINTAINING ELECTROLYTE BALANCE -- Found in most foods, especially asparagus, bran, corn, dairy products, eggs, fish, dried fruit, garlic, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, meats, poultry, salmon, soda, wheat bran and whole grains._

BODY PARTS AFFECTED:_Bones, brain cells, circulatory and digestive systems, eyes, liver, muscles, nerves and teeth._

DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS:_Appetite loss, bone pain, fatigue, irregular breathing, nervous disorders; Bone and tooth problems, heart and kidney problems. Phosphorus is essential for helping the body to utilize vitamins and to convert food to energy. A balance of magnesium, calcium and phosphorus should always be maintained in the body for proper health. Diets high in junk food, including soda and diet soda, can contribute to too much phosphorus which can inhibit calcium uptake.

Potassium*:

ONE OF THE ESSENTIALS IN MAINTAINING ELECTROLYTE BALANCE -- Food sources for Potassium include dairy foods, fish, fruit, meat, poultry and vegetables, whole grains, apricots, avocado, bananas, brown rice, cantaloupe, carrot juice, dates, figs, dried fruit, garlic, lima beans, nuts, peaches, potatoes, raisins, wheat bran and yams._

BODY PARTS AFFECTED:_Blood, endocrine/ digestive and nervous systems, heart, kidneys, muscles and skin._

DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS:_Acne, constipation, continuous thirst, decreased blood pressure, dry skin, edema, increased cholesterol, insomnia, muscle and general weakness, nervousness, respiratory distress, salt retention, skin and hair problems, irregular heartbeat, weak reflexes; Deficiency interferes with the transmission of nerve and muscle impulses, heart palpatations and arrhythmias, heart attack, stroke. Potassium is important for chemical reactions within the cells and aids in maintaining stable blood pressure and in transmitting electrochemical impulses. It also regulates the transfer of nutrients to the cells. Use of diuretics, laxatives, vomitting and diarrhea can significantly contribute to the body's need for potassium.

Sodium*:

ONE OF THE ESSENTIALS IN MAINTAINING ELECTROLYTE BALANCE -- Virtually all foods contain sodium. Celery, cheese, eggs, meat, milk and milk products, miso, poultry, processed foods, salt, seafood and sea vegetables._

BODY PARTS AFFECTED:_Blood, lymphatic system, muscles and nerves._

DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS:_appetite loss, cramps, decreased resistance to infection, eye disturbances, fatigue, intestinal gas, muscle shrinkage, vomiting, weakness; Confusion, low blood sugar, dehydration, lethargy, heart palpatations and heart attack. Sodium is necessary for maintaining the proper water balance and blood pH. It is also needed for stomach, nerve and muscle function.

Sulfur:

Found in brussel sprouts, dried beans, cabbage, eggs, garlic, fish, meats, and onions._

BODY PARTS AFFECTED:_Skin, immune system, blood, liver_

DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS:_Dryness of skin, increased risks of infection, poor resistance to bacterial infections. Sulfur is essential to disinfecting the blood and resisting bacteria. It aids in oxidation reactions, stimulates bile secretions in the liver and protects against toxic substances.

Zinc:

Found in fish, meats, poultry, seafood and whole grains, beef liver, egg yolks, lamb chops, lima beans, liver, mushrooms, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sardines, and soybeans, wheat germ and whole grains._

BODY PARTS AFFECTED:_Blood, bones, eyes, heart, joints, liver, and prostate gland._

DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS:_Acne, brittle nails, decreased learning ability, delayed sexual maturity, eczema, fatigue, loss of taste and smell, poor appetite, poor circulation, poor memory, prolonged wound healing, retarded growth, skin problems, splitting hair, sterility, white spots on nails; Problems with prostate gland function, and immune system, liver damage. Zinc intake and absorption is needed to maintain the proper concentrations of vitamin E in the blood. Zinc levels can be decreased by diarrhea, kidney disease, cirrhosis or the liver, diabetes. Consuming "hard water" can upset zinc levels.

References:_Prescription for Nutritional Healing by James Balch, M.D. and Phyllis Balch, C.N.C._VitaChart (8th Edition) edited by Carolyn Heller West, VitaChart, Inc.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for posting this info. Its a keeper!

Lisi

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skimpbiz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skimpbiz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for posting this....I have a few questions regarding my own personal deficiencies, and if you feel knowledgeable enough to answer them for me that would be wonderful!

I had an ER visit on Friday with a rapid heart rate. The only thing they found in my blood was low potassium. I measured 3.3 and they want you to be between 3.5-5.0. I've been eating 2 bananas a day over the weekend, but should I also take a potassium supplement? If yes, what strength?

My llmd recently had me do a Spectracell test which checks for deficiencies, and after it came back showed and recommneded the followng:

B12 - 100mcg/day
glucose/insulin - replace sugars and starches with whole foods
chromium - 200mcg of chromium picolnate for 90 days, 100mcg thereafter
glutathione - 1000mg N-acetyl cysteine daily
total antioxidant function - increase foods rich in antioxidants.

So here's my dilemma. I've gone out and purchased these supplements, but have yet to take them. I also have Vitamins - brand name One-A-Day Men's. I have yet to take either the supplements or the One-A-Day Mens.

The issue is the vitamin addresses some of the deficiencies, so would the supplements then be system overload?

For example, the vitamin says it gives me 100% of the chromium I need per day and 100% of the B12.

The vitamin provides 100mg of potassium, 3% of the daily value, and I've been eating 2 bananas a day since the ER visit took place on Friday. Is this enough or do I also need a potassium supplement?

Thanks for your time - oooh and I also have lyme, which is probably obvious with me posting here.

Posts: 173 | From Lakeland, FL 33813 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think someone else here can probably answser this better for you then I can.

My guess is the bananas do not offer enough pottasium for you or in a form that you can utilize.

I think you need a better brand of vitamins then the ones you mentioned. Perhaps a brand with some green foods in it...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement