LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » ANTIBIOTICS + IRREGULAR HEART BEAT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ANTIBIOTICS + IRREGULAR HEART BEAT
bubbalyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bubbalyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please help. I am having some sort of cardiac involvement. I took Biaxin had wicked palpitations + irregular heartbeat. Took Levoquin had palpitations + irregular heart beat. I have been in emergency with this just today.

Does anyone know if lyme can react this way or is it an antibiotic sensitivity. All I know is that Amoxicillan didn't do it until about a week after. The others were as soon as they were absorbed into my system.

Please help if you have heard of this.

Posts: 128 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bB toxins can cause heart irregularities. My layman's suggetion is that the antbiotics are triggering a herx and, in your case, it has cardiac manifestations. What does you prescribing physician think about this?

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could have Babesia. It often causes heart related issues. The best thing would be to let your LLMD know whats going on, so he/she can best determine if its a herx or something else.

Many people when they start abx will have different types of herx reactions, some will help heart palps, other breathing problems, headaches, etc.

Also, you may ask your LLMD to start you slowly on abx and ramp up to see if it makes a difference.

Take Care,
Lisi

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Gen Support where you posted this too you got an answer for someone who found that both Biaxin & Levaquin can cause heartbeat stuff for susceptible people- so I don't think it is a Herx and I think you should go off it asap!!!
Best wishes,
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talk to your LLMD about it to make sure it is not a side effect of the medication and that you don't have a serious heart problem. I assume they made sure of that when you were in the ER?

I had never had constant palps until I took samento, then they were constant and made me very tired. I had testing with a heart monitor for a week and the palps were benign. I found that minerals stopped them. Mostly colloidal minerals.

I didn't know why then that minerals would stop the palps but I later learned that one needs minerals to detox. I think that *I* was having a herx and my minerals were unbalanced and low. Can't say that is the case for you but it is worth considering.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had palps since I first started treatment...they would come and go, when I first started on Zith/artemesinin. Right now I have a cardiac event monitor (I suggest you get one of these) so I can record when they're happening and then send the info on in. So far, nothing has turned up. Maybe in your case it just means you are hitting the right bugs (effective treatment). Mine DID get better as I continued.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Levaquin is known to cause heart problems - my LLMD wanted to put me on it and my regular doc said no way, stay away from it & never take it.

Time-release Biaxin caused me to have very frightening heart reactions - thought it was going to kill me one day as my heart raced/fluttered & my head got woozy. Soon as I got off the Biaxin XR I had no more problems.

And I had never had a previous problem with regular Biaxin, years previously.

Also, taking meds in combination could bring out reactions you may not have with one med alone.

My Ob-Gyn told me she is never surprised by a patient's reaction to any med: we are all different and anything can happen.

Do not assume this is a herx, stop the meds and speak with your doctor! Even if it is a herx, it could be a danger to you - you may need to cut back on dosage or take one med at first.

ESG

Posts: 424 | From Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement