LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » A Potent Chinese Herbal Immunosurpressant

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Potent Chinese Herbal Immunosurpressant
Greatcod
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know where I can git me some?

Science: Chinese herb found to work as potent protector for body
May 19, 1999
By The Stanford Daily Staff
By Gargi Talukder

Two Stanford researchers have found that the active ingredient of a Chinese herb traditionally used to treat rheumatoid arthritis is actually a potent immunosuppressant and a powerful tool against tumor cells.
In studying the herb, Asst. Medicine Profs. Peter Kao and Glenn Rosen used pure preparations of triptolide, the active ingredient of the Chinese herb called Tripterygium wilfordii hook, to determine the biological basisfor its anti-inflammatory action.
They found that triptolide can prevent the cells of the immune system from inappropriately attacking other cells in the body, which can occur in autoimmune diseases or in organ transplants. Kao and Rosen have also found that triptolide has the ability to kill the tumor cells often found in breast, lung and colon cancer.
"This is a remarkable drug that could have a remarkable future,"
Kao said.
Although other research groups have investigated the anti-inflammatory properties of this Chinese herb in the past, Kao and his colleagues were
the first to systematically compare the molecular action of pure preparations
of the herb's active ingredient to the actions of more traditional immunosuppressants,
such as cyclosporin A. This work allowed them to understand how triptolide works at the molecular level.
Kao and his colleagues have shown that triptolide's immunosuppressant effects occur by a different mechanism thanother immunosuppressant drugs.
The more traditional drugs prevent immune responses by blocking the proliferation of active immune cells.
In contrast, triptolide averts the action of immune cells by blocking their actual activation. Kao described triptolide's effects as "extinguishing" the action of the gene known as NF-kB, an important regulator of immune
cell activation.
The fact that triptolide seems to work by a different mechanism than other immunosuppressant drugs means that it could be a useful alternative
drug for people suffering from painful inflammatory diseases such asrheumatoid
arthritis.
Traditional immunosuppressants have such severe side effects that they often cannot be used by patients until their situations become life-threatening.
Although Kao and his colleagues do not yet know what side effects triptolide may have, he sees triptolide as "a potential way to modulate the immune system in a productive way."
He believes that triptolide shows exceptional promise in treating patients who have had organ transplants and are suffering from graft versus host disease, in which the transplanted organ causes an immune response within the patient.
Kao and his colleagues are interested in the fundamental biological questions surrounding immune responses, and he believesthat
triptolide's unique mechanism of action will provide key information about the way cells
of the immune system respond to immunological cues.
Along with its anti-inflammatory properties, triptolide is also able to kill tumor cells.
Rosen was searching for agents that would improve the ability of a class of compounds related to tumor necrosis factor (TNF) to kill tumor cells.
He and his colleagues found that not only did triptolide cooperate with
TNF to kill cancerous cells, but it could also kill tumor cells on its own.
Triptolide is essentially able to force cells to commit suicide by driving
them into a process known as apoptosis.

TNF and other related compounds also force cells into apoptosis, but they can have severe side effects when given to patients.
Rosen and his colleagues expect that since triptolide does not activate the NF-kB molecule, the side effects from taking this herbal drug may not be as severe as those caused by TNF-related compounds.

The results of Kao and Rosen's work were published in the May 7 issue of the Journal of Biological Chemistry.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripterygium_wilfordii

Get it from a Chinese doctor?

I am confused about whether we want our immune systems goosed or damped down. If we have infection, maybe enhanced. If autoimmune, maybe suppressed. If both....???????

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greatcod
Unregistered

I remember that there was an article in Newsweek
about a young Vermont woman with Lyme who was made symptom free by treatement with immunosupressants. A Yale doctor, Kahn?, did the treating. Made me very curious.
It seems that we are dealing with a small volume infection that elicits a large scale immune response. If most of the Bb is sequestered in tissue, largely out of reach of the humoral immune system, then we get this up-regulated
monster that causes most of our symptoms. I'm allergic to many many things now.
Shutting it down a bit makes some sense. Of course, there isn't a doctor in Massachusetts who would try that.

Cass A
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try 1stchineseherbs.com

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Protopanaxadiol ( 11 ), a derivative of a triterpene aglycone of several saponins from ginseng ( Panax ginseng ), exhibits its apoptotic effects on cancer cells through various signaling pathways, and is also reported to be cytotoxic against multidrug resistant tumors. 33 , 34 Triptolide, a diterpene triepoxide, was isolated from Tripterygium wilfordii , and has been used for autoimmune and infl ammatory diseases in the People ' s Republic of China. 35 PG490 - 88 (12 , 14-succinyl triptolide sodium salt), a semisynthetic analog of triptolide,exerts antiproliferative and proapoptotic activities on primary human prostatic epithelial cells as well as tumor regression of colon and lung xenografts. Tripterygium wilfordii pdf

32 Protopanaxadiol (11), a derivative of a triterpene aglycone of several saponins from ginseng (Panax ginseng), exhibits its apoptotic effects on cancer cells through various signaling pathways, and is also reported to be cytotoxic against multidrug resistant tumors.33,34 Triptolide, a diterpene triepoxide, was isolated from Tripterygium wilfordii, and has been used for autoimmune and inflammatory diseases in the People's Republic of China.35 PG490-88 (12, 14 succinyl triptolide sodium salt), a semisynthetic analog of triptolide, exerts antiproliferative and proapoptotic activities on primary human prostatic epithelial cells as well as tumor regression of colon and lung xenografts.Triptolide, a diterpene triepoxide

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greatcod
Unregistered

Still can't figure out where to buy, 1stChinese doesn't carry, but here is another science article singing its praises.
I am becoming a Minor Herbalist.

1: Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2000 Feb;26(1):29-50, viii. Links
The Chinese anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive herbal remedy Tripterygium wilfordii Hook F.Tao X, Lipsky PE.
Harold C. Simmons Arthritis Center, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, USA.

Various preparations of Tripterygium wilfordii Hook F (TwHF) have been used in the treatment of a number of autoimmune and inflammatory diseases since the 1960s. Accumulated data from the clinical trials suggest efficacy of this treatment in a number of rheumatic diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus. Studies on the relationship of the chemical components of TwHF and its immunosuppressive and anti-inflammatory effects suggest that diterpenoid compounds with epoxide groups account for the therapeutic effects of this herbal remedy. This herbal remedy is therefore a unique and powerful alternative therapy for autoimmune and inflammatory diseases.

retpony
Member # 11070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for retpony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This could be what you're looking for:

http://www.herbdot.com/shop/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=38&category_id=846d141ee11430ad1d5ff943a58b82a4

Posts: 3 | From new jersey | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be careful in suppressing the immune system. My mother was put on steriods and went from being able to live on her own to needing assisted living very quickly. She was in her 50's and now in her 70's has never recovered. Of course we did not know that our whole family has lyme and co-infections so she did not get treatment for infections.

How about an immune modulator? Samento or beta glucan or??

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greatcod
Unregistered

Thanks retpony. I checked out the website and they do have it in pill form. Unfortunately for me, it is counterindicated for people with tender stomachs.
Surpressing or boosting, I honestly don't know.
Rock and a hard place again.
And I remembered that the Yale doc used IV gamma globulin in treating the young woman.

D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the information from everyone. I think this may be a good possible treatment for my Crohns disease. Some immune suppressants increase the risk of Cancer. That is one reason why I have not used any.

I will have to dig into this deeper, but it is an interesting possibility.

D Bergy

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Far infrared sauna does the same.

We're talking reducing TNF alpha AND IL1 beta, INactivating NFkBIKKA. Increasing NO, dilating the vessels to deliver healing nutrients (oxygen) while helping to clear toxic levels of glutamate...

How about some Ginkgo Biloba (inhibits glutamate release by vibrating cilia which may be causing continuous transmission of electrical signals, and by reducing GABA uptake, which naturally inhibits glutamate production)?

and/or Genistein?

And keep vitamin E and C up.

Jury's out re: glutamine. Leaky gut link, but can convert to even more glutamate.

Glucose level is too low.

From "Maintaining a more youthful brain" (came with my supply of Juvenon):

"In fact, every day our brains require the equivalent of a quarter-pound of sugar to be converted into the chemical form of energy, ATP."

Throw in D-ribose and hope for the best...looks to be downregulated. Brain needs d-glucose, body needs d-galactose. D-ribose can convert to both.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notkrazybrian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notkrazybrian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I would be careful with supressing the immune system I believe thats whats put me into the chronic, late stage part of this nasty disease.
Posts: 217 | From Everywhere | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ihatelyme
Member # 16309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful to try out triptolide. The herb name is "Thunder of God Wine". This is a very toxic herb. It has great harm to reproductive system. I was trying to try this herb. But after I did some research and talked to some people in China, I gave up this one. I wish anyone here learned this be careful with this medicine.
Posts: 27 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ihatelyme
Member # 16309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful to try out triptolide. The herb name is "Thunder of God Wine". This is a very toxic herb. It has great harm to reproductive system. I was trying to try this herb. But after I did some research and talked to some people in China, I gave up this one. I wish anyone here learned this be careful with this medicine.
Posts: 27 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AI1 #3 by Dr. Zhang does exactly this. It's highly effective, extremely safe. He notes that it should not be used any longer than symptoms persist, up to 3 months, then it should be discontinued, rest for one month, and then recontinued again.

AI #3: An immune suppressive treatment that reduces the symptoms of muscle aches, joint pain, fibromyalgia, skin rashes, allergies, vasculitis, severe Herxheimer reactions, Raynaud's, Sjrogren's and autoimmune antibody production. The max dose is 5 caps/day. Once the symptoms subside the dose is reduced to 1 cap 3X/day. When symptoms are relieved, then AI#3 should be discontinued. AI#3 should not be used for more than 3 months.

AI #3 Capsule

One capsule three times a day with meals; or for higher dosage, two in the morning, one at noon, and two in the evening.

Caution: This capsule should only be used for reducing the severity of Herxheimer's reaction, or for joint pain, skin rash, autoimmune reactions, and allergies. It should be stopped after these symptoms are no longer present. The treatment course with this herbal remedy should be limited to three months. If treatment must be resumed, wait at least one months before resuming use.

You can purchase it through Hepapro.com if you choose. It's expensive, and shipping is costly, but the product is of the highest quality.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have lyme induced rheumatoid arthritis. Joint pain and swelling has been my sole complaint since homeopathy totally cleared my brain fog, memory issues, migraines, hearing loss 3 yrs ago.

My rheumatologist is also LLMD member of ILADS. She uses herbs along with abx and traditional RA drugs. Amazing, I have not heard of this herb until now. She is not using it on me.

I am currently on doxy, plaquenil and Enbrel. The Enbrel blocks my production of TNF. She says this is necessary temporarily (3-5 yrs) while she goes after the bugs. I test positive for Babs, Lyme, Mycoplasmas, CPN, EBV, H Pylori, tapeworm.

Any attempt to kill the bacteria, fungi, parasites without the Enbrel puts me in a world of pain and risks damage to my joints.

Enbrel is in the family of biologics. They only came on the market in mid 90's and they work differently from steriods, methotrexate. They actually stop the progression of the disease and in some cases are reversing damage.

She also is supplementing me nutritionally wherever bloodwork says I am deficient. Lots of CoQ10 and magnesium for my heart as RA attacks the heart and blood vessels. Vit C, Zinc, Vit D, etc. I do fresh veggie juices and throw in garlic and ginger to help fight infections as the Enbrel lowers my ability to fight off infections.

I have been in really great shape for 1 1/2 yrs now, but the Enbrel put me back to how I was before being sick. I resisted that stuff for a year and now you would have to fight me to take it away.

Tons of detoxing herbs and IVs of glutathione (my best med!).

Marnie, my doctor said the FIR sauna will be a good thing in my future but to stay away from it for now. I am so toxic, she says I could become psychotic and land in the ER if I tried it right now.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Tripterygium wilfordii - 487 abstracts

======================================

Safety / cautions - detailed here:

Tripterygium

Tripterygium refers to several of species of the genus Tripterygium that are ... The most frequently used variety, called leigongteng (from T. wilfordii) ...

www.itmonline.org/arts/triptery.htm

======================================

Autoimmune Diseases and the potential role of Chinese Herbal Medicine

For rheumatoid arthritis, many of the reports described ``new'' agents, such as the active components of Tripterygium wilfordii (leigongteng), ...

www.itmonline.org/arts/autoimmune.html

====================================
====================================

To learn more about the basics - and some particulars - of herbs, this is a very good book. It is not at all about lyme, but a great place to learn how the body works and how to work with it.

Tripterygium wilfordii does not connect to the search tool for this book.

Most herbs balanced with other herbs in a formula. Reasons for this are explained in the book.

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/

The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Tillotson)

Much of the book is, graciously, on line. It can be ordered at the site or through Amazon where there are customer reviews of interest.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Biochem Pharmacol. 2008 Aug 1;76(3):362-72. Epub 2008 Jul 2.

Neuroprotective role of tripchlorolide on inflammatory neurotoxicity induced by lipopolysaccharide-activated microglia.

Pan XD, Chen XC, Zhu YG, Zhang J, Huang TW, Chen LM, Ye QY, Huang HP.

Department of Neurology, Fujian Institute of Geriatrics, The Affiliated Union Hospital of Fujian Medical University, 29 Xinquan Road, Fuzhou, Fujian 350001, People's Republic of China.

A large body of evidence has suggested a strong association between neuroinflammation and the pathogenesis of many neurodegenerative diseases.

Therefore, it is a good target for therapeutic treatment. So far, studies have proven anti-inflammatory herbal medicine and its constituents to be effective in slowing down the neurodegenerative process.

The present study tested tripchlorolide, an extract of Tripterygium wilfordii Hook F (TWHF), as a novel agent to suppress inflammatory process in microglia.

It showed this novel agent to be cytotoxic at a dose of 20-40 nM to primary microglia and BV-2 microglial cells but not to primary cortical neurons and Neuro-2A cells in vitro.

Moreover, tripchlorolide protected primary cortical neurons and Neuro-2A cells from neuroinflammatory toxicity induced by the conditioned media from lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-stimulated microglia, which resulted in a significant decrease in their cell survival.

The changes of the inflammatory mediators in this process were further investigated. In the LPS-stimulated microglia,

the production of tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha), interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta), nitric oxide (NO), prostaglandin E(2) (PGE(2)), and intracellular superoxide anion (SOA)

was markedly attenuated by tripchlorolide at a dose of 1.25-10 nM in a dose-dependent manner.

Furthermore, the production of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) was also significantly inhibited by tripchlorolide in both mRNA and protein levels.

These results suggest that tripchlorolide can protect neuronal cells via a mechanism involving inhibition of inflammatory responses of microglia to pathological stimulations.

Therefore, it is potentially a highly effective therapeutic agent in treating neuroninflammatory diseases.

PMID: 18602088

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

www.itmonline.org/arts/neuro.htm

Neuroprotective Herbs and Active Constituents
Approaches to Preventing Degenerative Diseases

- by Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D., Director, Institute for Traditional Medicine

excerpts:

BACKGROUND

Considerable efforts have been made in recent decades to discover which substances can help prevent serious diseases and even limit the effects of the aging process.

Foremost in this area has been research into the role of antioxidants, which come in numerous forms, such as vitamins, minerals, phenolic constituents, and sulfur compounds, from both foods and herbs.

These substances may inhibit, among other things, development of cardiovascular diseases and cancer; the evidence for this effect is fairly strong. To get the benefits, the antioxidants must be ingested over a period of years in quantities sufficient to yield the desired effects.

The quantities needed to attain measurable effects are often easily within reach through dietary habits. A number of common foods and beverages, such as broccoli, apples, blueberries, wine, and tea (to name but a few), have been identified as beneficial.

Antioxidant properties of medicinal and beverage herbs and their active ingredients have been evaluated to determine how these might best fit into a healthful regimen.

Several herbal teas appear of potential benefit, including the popular Rooibos tea of South Africa. Ordinary kitchen spices, including rosemary, basil, turmeric, and cumin, have been shown to have potent antioxidant action.

. . .

Not all the protection comes from antioxidants produced in the body as its free radical "surveillance" system.

A significant amount comes from dietary components that also serve as antioxidants.

Diets vary considerably among individuals and population groups, and the antioxidant ingestion can have a very wide range.

Fruits, vegetables, and certain beverages are particularly rich sources.

-Full article at link above.

-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement