LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What to do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What to do?
Tori
Member # 11647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*

Well, I finished my month of Doxy. The only thing that had changed in that month was the swelling in my left elbow resolved...otherwise, I still feel lethargic, foggy and continue to have spasticity and nerve pain. I finished the Doxy last Saturday, saw Rheumatologist on Tuesday. I asked him about co-infections and he said he'd refer me to a ID doc if I started to show symptoms. [Roll Eyes] Started to?!

Anyways, He plans on rechecking the WB in a month. (First test was IgM+ and + for #23/#41 but IGG -.) If it is IGG+ in a month, I will get IV Rochephin for 4 weeks. He told me, in the mean time, if I get any new or worsening swelling, call him. I really, really am hesitant to call him at all because I feel he isn't listening to me and his nurses are condescending and patronizing.

(A week after I started the Doxy, I developed petechiae and splinter hemorhages under my nails. I freaked and called the nurses, concerned about endocarditis, they poo-pooed me and I said "nevermind, I must be overreacting" because they made me feel stupid and they have treated me like a Psych patient since. BTW- I AM a nurse)

So.... today, two days after I last saw him, I am developing swelling and pain in my RIGHT elbow/shoulder. I never had any s/s of inflammation here, so it's a definite sign that the Lyme is still active.

My question- IS it worth it to call him now?

I kinda feel like waiting until Monday, by then it will be nice and swollen but also VERY painful but I don't want to think about this ALL weekend long and want to do something NOW!

I can't afford a LLMD at this moment. I have a new baby and have been off work because I am too sick.

I'm so frustrated! HELP!

Posts: 69 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey there-

sorry to hear about your quandry.

i know this is a difficult time, i am in the midst of it.

you might want to ask yourself though, what is more important right now.

if you simply have no means to see a llmd (by cash or credit) that is one thing

but if you can but just dont want to spend the $$ (i understand i spent 1500.00 on my first visit)
i strongly advise you do.

do not wait until it gets out of control.

please act now if you can, there is no price for you own health.

best wishes and good luck

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geeze! So sorry to hear you got ANOTHER tick bite!!!

I think you should head over to the nearest doctor.. even a walk in clinic... especially since you are a nurse. I think you should tell them that you were bitten by a tick and you don't feel good.

I think the nasty junk you are already getting from the dopey duck is only going to get worse. Actually I'll bet money on it.

Why wait for a month while the infection spreads more... then expect a test that is KNOWN and been PROVEN to miss up to 90 percent of those infected... to be your "savior".. and then..

Surprise! Be told you need to see the worst of the worst ducks in the world who.. IF it happens to be positive... HA!

They will tell you it is a false positive.. and you've been treated already and are cured.

If I had a nickle for everytime I've heard that story!!

[toilet]

May I suggest..

Pick up the pieces.. use your skills.. and go for it.

If this were your child you were trying to help.. you'd be a balistic BEAR or Tasmanian Devil by now.

You need to think that way for yourself too. YOU are that little one's protector.. and you are needed to be the best you can be.

Don't let the tick win!

And more important.. don't let the butt-heads win!

This is your LIFE!!!!

[Big Grin]

I am NOT a doctor and this is only my opinion.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tori

I don't know what your dosage of doxy was. Should have been
atleast 400 mg daily.

I hate this disease! But with that said the sooner you choose to see someone literate and recommended - the sooner you will improve. I traveled this past weekend with a nurse whose 4 children all have been diagnosed within the past year with lyme. (The mom herself was treated for 3 years with oral abx over ten years ago.) She herself has many symptoms. She admitted that she was not symptom-free when stopping and has just altered the quality of her life these years.

I don't know your history but I know that everyone I know has had to feel humiliated and crazy (numerous times) by mainstream neurologists, cardiologists and ID docs. And of course the primary physicians don't want to think outside the box on this one because they have the IDSA guidelines to control their lack of thinking.

I hope you will read the newbie links. I can tell you my one son's lyme literate primary care physician and his llmd both recommended he see an immunologist. I am thinking.....how come - we know it's the lyme/babs/bart..... but we went.

This doctor looked at my son and said: "I don't know anything about lyme but this disease scares me!"

The great thing was he welcomed the handouts that I brought for him (only going to give if he wasn't arrogant)

This disease is going to isolate you from folks.....but you are intelligent and you are going to be able to handle the doubting folks with the support of good folks here.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to add, Tori, that I got treatment 6 months after I removed my tick and I was on abx for 15/16 months: the last two months I was symptom-free.

I am thrilled to say I have been symptom free now for 6 months. I continue with a good supplement protocol.....and a few herbs, too.

I wish I could say my sons were doing as well - but I did not have babesiosis like they have.

So my advice is make a call to the closest llmd. You are going to need cell wall drugs, cystic form drugs, intracellular drugs to get well.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tori
Member # 11647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone!!!

Tincup- I haven't been re-infected. I don't know when I was bitten. It could have been 5 years ago when I first started having neuropathy or it could have been 1 year ago when I exhibited 1st and 2nd stage ( during which I was treated with steroids for intractable migraine, Explains the - IGG, IMO.

My history is this- Having burning, numbness, tingling in various places six moths ago. Went to Neurologist, had EMG and MRI (both -) sent to Rheumatologist. Tested for Lymes because of inflammatory arthritis and fibromyalgia. He thinks WB was false positive but treats me with Doxy 200mg/day. (I brought up need for 400mg/day he says "I have NEVER prescribed 400mg/day. No one can handle that much!" [Roll Eyes] )

Done with Doxy last Saturday. New symptoms today. [Frown] I just called and told his nurse about the new symptoms. I'm sure they think I'm nuts. [Frown] [Roll Eyes]

I just wish they'd just do the IV Rocephin already!!! [Mad]

Posts: 69 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tori
Member # 11647

djf2005- I really DON'T have the $$. I am seeing if the ducks can help until I save up for the initial consult fee- $400 [Frown]
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tori, you're in a bad situation -- you can't work, so you don't have the money for an LLMD, but without an LLMD you can't get better so you can work.

I'd look to family, friends, parents, anyone who can help you pay for proper treatment. You need to see an LLMD who can make you well. You can worry about paying back whoever helped you once you are able to work again.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have received some very good advice. As someone who has been sick many years with this illness I can only say that I wish I had the same opportunity that you have right now. The longer you wait, the harder it will be.

Come up with the money to see an LLMD however you can but PLEASE make it a priority. You will not find a non LLMD who will know what to do and most beleive the IDSA rhetoric anyway and won't lift a finger to help. They'll be happy to offer copious drugs (but not drugs to get rid of the infection), all the while the infections are ravaging your body.

You need an LLMD for many reasons but one very important reason is that you need to ensure that you are treated for co-infections. A huge percentage of lyme patients have co-infections and they need to be diagnosed clinically since the tests are not reliable. If you have babs, you won't be able to get rid of lyme until that is treated. Without the proper help, you can spend years of unimaginable misery, stumbling around trying to figure out what is wrong.

As I'm sure you have gleaned from this forum, this is a very complex illness and requires a doctor who understands how to treat it. There are many pitfalls that ducks simply don't know anything about and don't want to know about.

I can't stress enough the importance of getting the right help ASAP.

Edited to add: You and sixgoofykids posted while I was writing my post. I agree with sixgoofykids, get the money however you can.

Wishing you the best,
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tori,

i think TinCup was telling you to tell the story that you had a new tick bite.

A little white lie so to speak to get what you need as a bandaid until you can get the real dressing.

Hope I got that right.

You need to take care of yourself.

For the baby, and for you.

Congrats by the way. You must really be exhausted.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tori
Member # 11647

Thanks Terry and Geneal...

Hmmmm...Good idea. But I already called and I have yet to get a call back. [Roll Eyes]
[rant]

Stupid ducks!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tori....go to Urgent Care and tell them you were bitten.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tori
Member # 11647

The duck said "Keep taking the Piroxicam (NSAID) and we'll see what the labs say in a month." In a month!? I am here crying out of pain and frustration...a month?! Nothing for pain now?!
I am calling my GP in the AM and telling him what is going on. He will be furious that the Rheumatologist isn't even giving me anything for pain. My entire right arm is swollen from the elbow down!!!

The thing is they use the Epic System here. My hospital has direct access to my full medical chart and history. They will pull that up, see that I have called the doc, see his response and guess what I am up to.

I so appreciate all of your advice and guidance......I feel so lonely and helpless about all of this.

I can't type much more, my arm is cramping.

Thank you all... [group hug]

Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tori, I am so so sorry. I have been up against this wall, and it is a very frightening place to be.

I say, damn American medical system. Damn them!

--------------------
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto, Just Julie - from another Julie!

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement