LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Controversial Lyme Book

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Controversial Lyme Book
PortlandLymie
Member # 11976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PortlandLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor told me about Lymenet, I am new here. I was diagnosed with lyme in 2004 after battling a strange mystery ailment for a year. So far I am getting better on antibiotics looking into other options.

I am reading a book by Brian Rosner called "Top ten Lyme treatments"

http://www.lymebook.com/top10book

So far I am a bit confused. He mentions not to use IV antibiotics but my doctor says that is totally wrong. Also he mentions using the Marshall protocl which I believe makes you take less vitamin D and even restrict vitamin D. How can that be healthy especially in light of recent research that shows vitamin D helps the immune system?

For now I will stick with antibiotics but I wanted to get anyone's opinion on this book or other non conventional treatments that have helped. I've already looked at the lymenet newbie links.

My best,

Mike gleeson, portland

Posts: 31 | From Portland OR | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think for some IV ABX are required. I think the point was that it may be pushing the infection deeper and creating cystic forms of the infection which sets us up for later relapse.

As for the MP, this is a controversial area even outside of the book. I hve not personally been convinced that it is a good approach, but some people including Bryan have felt it provided good results.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mike,

You will find there are a lot of different opinions out there on treatment. Brian's is one of them ... your doctor's is another.

I truly believe you have to find a doctor whose philosophy of treatment is most like yours then go 100% with his program.

My LLMD is basically a holistic doctor, but believes that you have to start out with antibiotics. He works with orals. He treats coinfections first or simultaneously. He supports the antibiotic therapy with supplements. He has an herbal protocol, but lowers the bacterial load with abx first.

I have had this for 35 years and only identified it recently. The past four years I've been pretty ill. Prior to that I had three other times where I was so ill I could not work, but it only lasted a few months.

The first two times I got mostly better with diet, exercise (rigorous), sunshine, and rest.

The third time, I also had my amalgams removed and went on an anti-candida diet. This remission lasted over 10 years!

This time I'm much sicker ... I got sick after another infection required a 21 day round of doxy. Seems that the doxy stirred things up.

In my "healthy" years, I had some symptoms, but nothing major. I had lots of energy.

So, I'd say that for me, good diet, exercise, and sunshine have been a HUGE help in living normally with the Lyme. I still do all that in conjunction with my treatment.

The antibiotics can't work alone ... you have to rebuild health.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have not read it yet, a slightly less controversial Lyme book is "Healing Lyme ..." by Stephen Buhner.

This book deals with an herbal approach and has very good summaries of the medical literature on Lyme and other tickborne infections.

Search under Buhner or Healing Lyme or any of the specific herbs (andrographis, resveratrol, cat's claw etc) to find lots of discussions on this website.

Many find the herbs help and take both the herbs and antibiotics.

Glad your doc pointed you to this website. Many helpful peolpe here.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I certainly don't agree with everything in this book but overall it's OK.

The Marshall Protocol is way out there, I think, but many people swear by it.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to read his first book as well. Some treatments work for some people...some do not...just like everything else for lyme!!

Go with what your dr says. If none of that works, then look elsewhere. Bryan explains in his book that if the first line of defense were working there would be no need for the things he describes in his second book.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kthompson
Member # 11931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kthompson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey sixgoofykids,
I am so glad that I read your post here because I was starting to feel like I was losing my mind but your story is alot like mine.

I have been dealing with lyme for a very long time, how long I don't know but at least 20 years that I can trace back to, maybe more.

I was diagnosed about 7 years ago and took about 4 years to really get me to a point where I felt good.

Started having symptoms again in Dec of last year and after being treated with doxy in Jan. and again in Apr. I am sooooo much worse now than I was. Does anyone know why that is? I am still back in search of a good LLMD to get me back on track.

I am so glad that I found this site so that I know that I am not alone in my frustration.
Thanks

Posts: 3 | From Connecticut | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One month of doxy just isn't enough ... it's only enough to stir things up. I REALLY think that's what happened to me ... but at the same time I was under significant stress, not just normal stress.

My other three times I became symptomatic were all periods of unusual stress.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greatcod
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing isn't it, how many newbies have Brian's new book? He must have quite the following.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by seibertneurolyme:
If you have not read it yet, a slightly less controversial Lyme book is "Healing Lyme ..." by Stephen Buhner.

This book deals with an herbal approach and has very good summaries of the medical literature on Lyme and other tickborne infections.

Search under Buhner or Healing Lyme or any of the specific herbs (andrographis, resveratrol, cat's claw etc) to find lots of discussions on this website.

Many find the herbs help and take both the herbs and antibiotics.

Glad your doc pointed you to this website. Many helpful peolpe here.

Bea Seibert

I agree, Stephen's book and treatment work quite well. Some can take with abx, some can only do the herbs alone. Both ways CAN work for you, depending on your system.

The big thing is when you are on herbs, you will mostl likely "feel" better while you are treating.

Jim [Cool]

Greatcod
Unregistered

"The big thing is when you are on herbs, you will mostl likely "feel" better while you are treating."

That's how the traditional medicines worked. They had no knowledge of germs, of the immune
system, of genetics or of many conditions and diseases that we know now.
Instead, they tried to make the patient feel healthier. They understood the outer symptoms of course, chills and fever, can't poop and diaheria, and so forth. They didn't understand
the biochemistry of illness or treatments, but they did understand what combinations of herbs and plants made people be healthy and feel better.
Greatcod, Minor Herbalist-- No charge for your first consulation

chroniccosmic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chroniccosmic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got Bryan's first book for sale if anyone is interested.
Posts: 460 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Greatcod:
"The big thing is when you are on herbs, you will mostl likely "feel" better while you are treating."

But what if you only FEEL better?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by chroniccosmic:
I got Bryan's first book for sale if anyone is interested.

Good book! But I already have it.

If you don't sell it, I have a friend who may want it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still waiting for him to change the Burrascano Guidelines to the current ones.

Last I heard, he said he would.

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
quote:
Originally posted by Greatcod:

But what if you only FEEL better?
##

WHAT more do you WANT? Hey, IF I can feel BETTER for the rest of MY life, that is good enough for me. After all we live in a feel good society.

As long as my mind is clear, I can still see decent, NOT have headaches and pain, and be productive, what more can I ask for?

Jim [Cool]

Greatcod
Unregistered

You are missing the point, which is that the goal of traditional medcines is to make the person feel healther. And over the centuries, they figured out which plants and herbs help people do that. A very good and vital goal.
Medical science approachs the problem differently, trying to restore health by understanding the pathogens and what kills them, and how its medicines work to do that, in the case of infectious diseases. And that too is vital.
My problem is with anyone who claims, for whatever reason, to have found a cure-all.
That's just BS, and is designed to take advantage of desperate people in many cases.
Where there's suffering, there's a buck.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by JimBoB:

WHAT more do you WANT? Hey, IF I can feel BETTER for the rest of MY life, that is good enough for me. After all we live in a feel good society.

Well, I don't really disagree with that....just throwing it out there. I worry about newbies not getting the treatment they need in order to KILL the keets.

I'm where you are now....I feel the Lyme has been "arrested" and I now FEEL GREAT due to a great natural product.

So, I hear ya!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

JimBoB
Unregistered

TuTu:

THAT is hopefully where Fallon's study or studies will be beneficial to ALL of us.

HOPEFULLY, HE WILL do more than JUST abx in the studies.

MANY do not respond to abx, and/or relapse if they do. So there NEEDS to be other regimens subjected to "formal" testing, so the many that cling to THIS system of western medicine can see what really works and what doesn't.

Most of them do not listen to us who have had good results with herbs, or other forms of helpful protocols.

True, NOTHING is "perfect" for ALL of us at this point in time, and maybe there never will be in this imperfect system we live in. We have gone so far astray of where the creator designed us to be, that there really isn't any hope to ever get it back the way it is going.

We can only HOPE that we can find something that keeps us reasonably in decent health, especially for those that are getting on in age.

In all that I have read and seen the past couple of years, I personally don't believe that any abx can "kill" ALL the Chetes. IF they can hide so well, as has been reported, there is always going to be some surviving.

THAT is where it is important to get "healthy". That can't be done with abx. It takes our natural immune systems to do that. BUT, yes, it does need help occasionally.

It stands to reason, though, that we can't kill all the good with the bad.

We can't get away from "bugs". We need to get our bodies in tune to live harmoniously WITH them. At least as long as we can.

Jim [Cool]

PortlandLymie
Member # 11976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PortlandLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the answers, you guys are great.

What does "doxy" mean?

Thanks.

Posts: 31 | From Portland OR | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by PortlandLymie:
Thanks for all the answers, you guys are great.

What does "doxy" mean?

Thanks.

Doxycyline. An abx.

Jim [Cool]

JimBoB
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
quote:
Originally posted by JimBoB:

Well, I don't really disagree with that....just throwing it out there. I worry about newbies not getting the treatment they need in order to KILL the keets.

I'm where you are now....I feel the Lyme has been "arrested" and I now FEEL GREAT due to a great natural product.

So, I hear ya!! [Smile]

TuTu:
WHAT is the "great natural product"?

Jim [Cool]

PortlandLymie
Member # 11976

Thanks everyone. I think I will continue on antibiotics and get ready to use Buhner's protocol if I still have symptoms after my antibiotics.

Mike

jasonsmith
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasonsmith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What milligram a day for the Ceftin?

Does it work better than Doxy? I had to stop the Doxy because it gave me too much diarrhea. I already have that anyways, IBS.

So, I'd like to replace that drug. Right now I'm taking:

Diflucan
Biaxin
Tindimax
Bactrim DS
Mepron
Artemesia (Zhang's)
Theralac (A couple a week)

I was taking Zythromax, but I think that was giving me diarrhea, so I switched over to the Biaxin.

I also have some Flagyl.

Flagyl vs. Tindimax?

Zythromax vs. Biaxin?

Posts: 310 | From TN | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenaD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going back to the stuff on here about Bryan's book...

I asked my LLMD (who I feel is very educated on tick illness) about the Marshall Protocol and the IV debate...(Basically I was praying he wouldn't want me to do the Marshall Protocol [Smile] ).

He said the IV antibiotics are only in certain cases...Same thing with the Marshall Protocol. He said it's just one tool.

Sounded to me like it depends on the situation, but he would prefer to be as conservative as possible when treating.

--------------------
"Never underestimate the power of a few committed people to change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead

Posts: 290 | From New York | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by jasonsmith:
What milligram a day for the Ceftin?

Does it work better than Doxy? I had to stop the Doxy because it gave me too much diarrhea. I already have that anyways, IBS.

So, I'd like to replace that drug. Right now I'm taking:

Diflucan
Biaxin
Tindimax
Bactrim DS
Mepron
Artemesia (Zhang's)
Theralac (A couple a week)

I was taking Zythromax, but I think that was giving me diarrhea, so I switched over to the Biaxin.

I also have some Flagyl.

Flagyl vs. Tindimax?

Zythromax vs. Biaxin?

WOW, no wonder you have diarrhea.

I didn't know ANYONE took THAT many abx at a time.

I couldn't even take ONE at a time for the most part.

THAT is where the herbs come in. THEY will build your system UP.

HOPE you have a system left when you are done. Are you taking a LOT of probiotics and liver cleansers, such as Red Root tincture, and Milk Thistle?

I find they are more important than the killers for your well being.

Jim [Cool]

PortlandLymie
Member # 11976

Has anyone used deseret biological homeopathic remedies?
Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energy2Heal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met a woman here in my city who said the Deseret Lyme homeopathic "series" did the the most to get rid of her Lyme (or cured her).

I don't know anyone else who has used them.

Posts: 443 | From The Wild West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wanaqueling
Member # 12092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanaqueling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jimbob, you could kill yourself with liver damage taking all those at once. There is no evidence to suggest any benefit from taking so many different types of antibiotics at once!

Many LLMD's now suggest Biaxin/Plaquenil as the best way to get the Lyme out of your cells.

Jonathan

Posts: 12 | From Wanaque, New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PortlandLymie
Member # 11976

I'm still curious to hear more stories about the deseret remedies. Anyone else?
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Portland,

I was first bit in 1995 and 6 mths abx got me back on track.

10 yrs later in 8/05, I came down with migratory joint pain. I had already been suffering migraines, stiff neck, hearing loss, short term memory problems, and most recently mental confusion ever since the first bite.

This go round chronic (longterm) lyme was diagnosed. This particular MD was also a board certified homeopath. He did not feel abx were the answer.

Deseret Biologicals were some of the remedies he prescribed. They are FDA approved. The remedies completely cured my migraines, short term memory problems and mental confusion. I had great energy while on them as he also gave me homeopathic vitamins.

Unfortunately it did not get rid of my joint pain so I am still working on that. But doing very well by cleaning up metals, yeast, parasites.

I highly recommend the remedies under the guidance of a certified homeopath.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement