LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Buhners Protocol while on ABX?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Buhners Protocol while on ABX?
notkrazybrian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notkrazybrian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got buhners core protocol of cats claw, andrograhis, and retrevosol sitting in my medincine cabinet waiting to be used. I was just wondering if anyone has had success with this protocol while on abx? Should I tell my LLMD, before I start out? Any advise would be great. thanks. Brian
Posts: 217 | From Everywhere | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energy2Heal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know people have done it with abx, others without. It would be best if your LLMD knew about it, but I don't know how many are around that would be interested in working with it.

Do you have the book? It is essential if you're going to take the herbs.

No I am not on the protocol, but have the book and herbs ready in case I decide to.

Need more info?:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=050753

http://planetthrive.com/cgi-bin/members/pub9990215891170.cgi?categoryid=9990235248536

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/lyme_aid_buhner/

Posts: 443 | From The Wild West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Brain,

I am currently reading the book now. He also has treatment protocals for co-infections, which I am thinking about doing, but I want to talk with my LLMD first.

I am intrested in the responses you get in this thread as well, since I am thinking of doing his protocal also.

Keep us posted on how your doing. [Wink]

Posts: 6639 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notkrazybrian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notkrazybrian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Andrew I have read the book from front-to-back and am basically doing the same as you, have them ready to go, just waiting for the right time or some incouragement. brian
Posts: 217 | From Everywhere | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently doing Buhner's core protocol along with my abx. I told my LLNP and she was ok w/it. I just consulted w/another LLMD and he was fine with it also, fwiw.

I've had no problems with it. I progressed the dosage exactly as recommended by the book. I feel that it has helped. I've been at the maximum dosage (16 tabs/day of each herb) since April 9th.

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energy2Heal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, psano2! I'm impressed that you're up to the maximum with no problems. That's great!

Which herbs exactly are you taking? And he talks about increasing by one pill a week per herb, but how often did you introduce each new herb?

- Andrew

Posts: 443 | From The Wild West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewInCA:
Wow, psano2! I'm impressed that you're up to the maximum with no problems. That's great!

Which herbs exactly are you taking? And he talks about increasing by one pill a week per herb, but how often did you introduce each new herb?

- Andrew

Andrew:

Each person has to do what works for them.

And Buhner actually talks about DOUBLING them each week, but some can't go that fast. I couldn't.

I have been on the "core" protocol for 18 months now, plus a whole lot more.

I did take them along with abx for about two months, but the Doxy and Tetracyclines were too hard on my stomach, so had to quit taking them.

I have gotten MUCH better on the herbs alone anyway. By all means study the book and FOLLOW HIS recommendations as best you can.

Some people can ramp up fast on the herbs, I had to go real slow at first because of the severe stomach pains I had all the time. The pains were not from the herbs, as I had them for a long time before taking herbs. Abx made the pain worse though.

Right now I am on a reduced maintenance protocol, of only less than 2/3 of the maximum protocols.
I take Andrographis, Stephania Root, Resveratrol in the form of Hu Zhang, Cat's Claw, Devil's Claw, Sarsaparilla, Nettle, Milk THistle, Red Root tincture, Periwinkle tincture, and Vitamin A, along with C-Salts.

At one time I was taking 93 capsules a day for about 5.5 months. Now I only take about 43 capsules a day. Course I still take the tinctures also.

Does it help. You better believe it. I felt I was going to die two years ago. I was at about 30 to 40% but now I feel I am operating between 80 and 90% of my potential.

I also breathe in the Sali-Pipe for my asthma. I was also on vitamin E but ran out. And vitamin B complex, but that gave me pain in urinating so quit it.

I have tried other herbs too, but either they didn't help or hurt. So am not taking any of them right now.

The herbs don't do you any good at all, IF you don't get them into your stomach.

Jim
[Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardynaka
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on doxy 200mg/day and part of B's core protocol. This time for acute infection (just bitten). I feel toxic, so things are getting killed. I'm also on artemisinin.

I don't recommend this combo I am to anyone, as it's pretty strong. I was almost free from lyme when I got bitten again, so my bacterial load is not too high, I suppose.

Just start slow, one herb at a time, leave andrographis as the last one. You don't have to ramp up fast, your body will tell you what you need once you get used to the herbs. Better to go slow than to go too fast.

Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Very True.

Sorry to hear you were bit again Selma. Are you on Astragalus also?

Jim. [Cool]
###

hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Jim, on astragalus, cats claw and knotweed. I'm short of andrographis (just got the tincture, but it's not testing good for the moment), so I'm waiting for the new package to come... Sarsaparilla is also not testing good, I wonder if I need a new batch...

Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

What brand of Sarsaparilla are you using? I normally have been using StarWest Botanicals brand that I have been getting from 1st Chinese. Lately I have been using some commerically encapsulated bottles of Sarsaparilla that I got from Psano as she couldn't take or at least thinks she can't take Sarsaparilla.

It seems to be fine for me. I am on a lower maintenance protocol, and only taking 8 capsules a day of the Sarsaparilla right now; along with my other herbs.

I take enough herbs each day that MOST of them don't get "old".

Jim [Cool]

psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AndrewinCA,

Sorry, I missed your post and just saw it. I increased my dose weekly, exactly as written in Buhner's book. I'm taking Andrographis, Cat's Claw, and Reservatrol (Japanese Knotweed).

As JimBob said, I had a problem w/Sarsaparilla. It just didn't agree w/my intestines, but I'm absolutely fine with the others.

I've started seeing Dr. H and he put me on a detox regimen of cholestyramine, chlorella, and I'll be getting glutathione infusions, so this should all help detox me. I have to say my last Drs didn't address the issue of detoxing at all...

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

So what do you folks using Buhner's protocol think about using some of the herbs in a possibly "non-standard" way?

By that I mean starting with a low dose of the knotweed or andrographis. From what I've read in the book and research I understand that andrographis should be started last? (is that true?)

A person who does homeopathy/muscle testing for me has noted that two of the herbs (andrographis and knotweed) have come up as top remedies for me during our testing.

Just wondering what other people on the protocol would think of taking knotweed or andrographis without say... the cat's claw or smilax.

- Andrew

psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Actually, I started all three at the same time, 1 of each 3 times a day. I didn't do one at a time like some of the others here.

Except for sarsaparilla, my body is pretty tolerant. I would say to go ahead and try it.

The only qualification I would make is that for myself, I'd been on antibiotics for about a year and a half before adding the herbal protocol, and I'm pretty sure my bacteria load had been reduced a lot before starting the core protocol. Depending on where you are at present in your treatment, you may have stronger herxes initially than I experienced if your bacterial load is higher. In that case, you should watch your symptoms carefully, and you may have to modify your dosage downward if your reaction is too intense.

hardynaka
Member # 8099

Andrew, take the two then! Any combination you do will work somehow. I don't take all the herbs for the moment either.

Knotweed and andro are already great! If your body accepts them, you're a good luck guy! Maybe you could try cats claw later. All herbs have different functions, but I do drop one herb and another from time to time (when they don't muscle test good for me too).

JIM, I'm with rain-tree sarsaparilla, but it's too old I think, as I'm always on a low dose protocol. I need to buy new herbs soon. I'm just not thinking to kill more, as I'm loaded with killers for the moment.

Selma

JimBoB
Unregistered

I agree, Andrew, take the two IF they test out and work good for you. However start out slow, like one a day of each for the first few days, and see HOW you feel.

IF okay, up it to two a day of each for about a week, then the next week go to 3 a day for a week, etc.. Until you can get up to Buhner's recommended maximum protocol, IF you can take THAT.

However, I can tell you, that I have experienced that OTHER herbs help with MANY symptoms and make you FEEL better than the knotweed and andro do. I had terrible neuro Lyme, with brain fog and blurred vision.

I find that Cats Claw and ESPECIALLY Devil's Claw help me with THOSE symptoms.

AND do NOT always feel that you are HERXING because of the herbs. I did NOT herx from the herbs, only from the abx. AND also when I took some of the WRONG herbs, and/or combinations of herbs.

I found that Red Root, Milk THistle, and Sarsaparilla helped keep my system cleansed so I am sure that is one of the main reasons WHY I don't herx. Just get better with the herbs. WHEN I was on some of the abx, I also took Acidophilus to replace good bacteria.

DID you test okay for Sarsaparilla? IF SO, I would be SURE to take that.

SELMA:

I take StarWest Botanicals Sarsaparilla. I get it now from 1st Chinese Herbs, even though it is a little more expensive that directly from StarWest. I get free shipping on it though, so it is probably about the same that way, AND it is much easier to order from one outfit and work with them.

I keep ALL my OPENED herbs in my fridge, closed up of course to help keep them fresher.

Jim
###

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement