LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » LYME and HERPES or SHINGLES is there a connection?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LYME and HERPES or SHINGLES is there a connection?
Vanilla
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would ask how many people here have lyme and herpes but I doubt anyone would want a roll call on this subject...

I thought I possibly received a new tick bite recently.

My LLMD who appears to be rather busy lately has yet to get back to me about switching my meds to cover a possible new bite..

He left me a message once wanting to know what meds I was on and then neglected to follow up even though I contacted him twice since then. I guess he has never heard of such a thing as a patient chart or how to locate one. These things can be a mystery to a busy LLMD.

Right around that time I had a weird red patch that my dermatologist says was herpes in a place I had never had a herpes break out before... kind of a lone star tick area if you catch my drift-the rear near the spine...

I have not had a herpes break out for years. I thought perhaps that Mepron had put the herpes virus in a deep chill for a bit. WRONG!

Can tick bites cause shingles and or herpes break outs? I would think possibly because a new bite would be hard on your whole body and immune system.

Sorry to gross anyone out with a herpes guestion but hey this is a medical board...

I am also wondering how many LD patients have herpes and if there is any connection between herpes and Lyme?

Some believe MS is actually Lyme and I have heard there might be a connection between herpes and MS...

Any light on this subject would be appreciated.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
***Can tick bites cause shingles and or herpes break outs? I would think possibly because a new bite would be hard on your whole body and immune system.***

It seems that it could, and for the very reason you stated. When our immune systems are down and out, anything can happen.

That's interesting about herpes and MS. Never heard that.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 63

Icon 2 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yes! I have had shingles twice during my Lyme career!

Not at all unusual for lymies.

--------------------
nan

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are a couple of threads that come up in a search: (90 something threads came up)

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=050441#000003
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=045923#000000

Vanilla,
Keep calling the doc's office until they answer you. If that won't work... can you go to a walk in clinic? They should be able to diagnose shingles or herpes. If it's viral you want to catch it while an antiviral will work I, think.

I hope it wasn't a tick bite and hope it's something that goes away without too much nastiness. [Frown]

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notkrazybrian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notkrazybrian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yea, shingles isnt that uncommon for people with lyme. Im getting over my first round of shingles! Brian
Posts: 217 | From Everywhere | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
herpes viri: ,herpes simplex, herpes zoster(
chicken pox and shingles, herpes 6
and others all work in the following manor.

you get a primary infection usually when young.
this results in a high fever ,causing antibodies to form and the virus "gets Better"

wrong, the herpes virus group, goes into remission
and sits in the nerve endings waiting!!!

it waits until there is something that stresses
the body.
illness, emotional, physical decreased immune system all cause stress on the body and
allow these viri to return to full strength.
the most common is herpes simplex or oral herpes
cold sores. they are called cold sores because
the virus comes out when your body is stressed
with a cold.

not known as fact, but i do believe each herpes
virus type has a different threshold of
reactivation.

shingles is usually found in very debilitated people, where cold sores are common for many with every cold.

there is also a correlation of the EBV to
shingles and immunodeficiency.
do not know what but there is a link.

EBV is mono as a child and can turn into
lymphoma as an adult. mechanism not known
at the present time.

antivirals, antifungals, antiyeast are all
necessary for the complete treatment of lyme.
i have been on antivirals for 7 years and never had a cold in 7 years, no shingles either.

i did not go into remission this time until i took vfend
an antifungal and antiyeast for 8 weeks.

docdave

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

I had a bad case of mono as kid.

Trueblue I already showed it to my dermatologist the one with the blow torch madness. He offered me meds but heck I have a drawer full of meds I am on already. Not into adding to the list if at all possible.

I am not worried about it because every day it gets better and better unlike some other diseases that stay and linger. Granted it will never go away either but the symptoms go away faster with herpes then they do with Lyme.

[ 30. May 2007, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: Vanilla ]

jasonsmith
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasonsmith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is vfend an antifungal and antiyeast? I looked it up, and it only says it's an antifungal.
Posts: 310 | From TN | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amberlin96
Member # 11535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amberlin96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I have read and heard from my doctor, it is basically that these dormant viruses-many which u would never even know u had(at least i didnt, until getting your immunological screenings)re-activate because of the suppression of your immune system.If you look up many of these viruses, u will find alot of links to hiv/aids related cases where they have REALLY re-activated duu to a shotty immune system. And with many of them, it's estimated that something like 90% of the population carries them, but they rmain dormant and under control by a healthy immune system.
I may be wrong on this- I havent done extensive research, but skimmed a few articles and also overheard a dermotologist telling this woman that this thing on her back was herpes related and he also said something like 90-95% of population carries herpes viruses.
Im assuming its not necessarily hhv-6, but most ofthem are in herpes family...CMV, Mono, EB.
Feel free to correct me if im wrong, like I said I havent looked into it much, just a little here there and heard from a few md's.

--------------------
Ill since 1998
DX 2005

Posts: 93 | From tampa, fl, usa | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I have a friend in her early 30s who has been diagnosed with both Lupus and MS; just last year she had a terrible battle with SHINGLES and ended up on steroids.

I've been trying to get her to do either Igenex WBs or the flow cytometry test for Lyme.... but she lives in a duck-land state so hasn't found any docs that will do this. Her doc did finally agree to do some ``standard Lyme test'' or another, which was negative of course, but I'm still trying to find out what test they did and what lab did the test, etc.

As far as Herpes goes, my barely-symptomatic boyfriend who tested ultra-high positive for Lyme with the Q-RIBb test has a terrible time with recurring cold sores. I give him extra pantothenic acid every few days which helps a lot, but if he gets real worried or stressed about something, he will still get a cold sore.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breezywings
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breezywings   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raising my hand. I have tested positive for both forms of herpes and have had two miserable outbreaks of shingles. So painful and the Valtrex didn't really do anything for me.

I am very interested in seeing the rest of the responses.

--------------------
...~*Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming*~...

Posts: 120 | From New Jersey | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breezywings
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breezywings   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raising my hand. I have tested positive for both forms of herpes and have had two miserable outbreaks of shingles. So painful and the Valtrex didn't really do anything for me.

I am very interested in seeing the rest of the responses.

--------------------
...~*Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming*~...

Posts: 120 | From New Jersey | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Finally after almost 2 weeks I did hear from my LLMD yesterday that I do not need to switch meds to cover a possible new bite.

Is there an connection between Herpes and AIDS?

http://tibetanacademy.org/tibetanview.htm

How does Tibetan Medicine view the AIDS virus?
Presently, the proliferation of the AIDS virus is the product of modern times, even though a precursor of this virus, namely herpes, did exist in the past.

In Tibet, people who became ill with this strain of herpes would take Tibetan herbs, laxatives and emetics for six to seven months to rid the body of this virus.

During this time the patient would also have to entirely abstain from sexual intercourse. It is believed today by Tibetan physicians that the result of people taking pharmaceutical drugs to treat a herpes virus, that later mutates into an AIDS virus, makes treatment ineffective.

The Tibetan Oral Instruction Tantra implicitly comments on such treatments when it states: "If one does not know how to treat infectious and microbial diseases effectively, one's remedy may exacerbate the disease.

While "AIDS" has existed for about twenty-five years, the nature of this disease was prophesized long ago in various ancient Tibetan medical treaties (writings) which described its origins.

sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got herpes on my mouth when I was 16. I also got chronic fatigue syndrome when I was around 28. I don't know if they are related. There are alot of viruses around. They sell this stuff called Zovirax (aciclovir) in UK for about $10 a tube over the counter. It works great. You need about $90 & a prescription to get it here... go figure? You may want to try L-lycine (an amino acid) for herpes. It works pretty good as a preventitive measure. Ice & camphor are also good remedies. Vitamin C may help & other immune boosters.

I had a test for EBV a few months ago & my doctor said it was slightly elevated. He also said that it's pretty normal to see this these days. With all the abx we take for Lyme, one would think it prevents some of the herpes & shingles. I guess all the viruses are different. I think shingles is a variant of chicken pox. Somehow, it stays in the system & can be re-ignited by stress or lack of immunity (like herpes which is related, as well).

Chinese & Tibetan medicine may be helpful but many of these modern diseases were not around when these forms of medicine were created. The times are very different now than ancient China & Tibet. I may add the use of herbs but I'm going to continue the abx.

All the best to you!

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Beta Glucan is good too and works well. Actually at the moment I am better and not too worried about it anymore or at least for the moment.

If I do not have to I do not like to take meds for it because I am on enough of those already for lyme and babs and I have not had herpes until recently for a long time. Besides a possible new tick bite I was eating a lot of nuts before my recent out break and nuts are not a good thing to eat in excess when one has herpes.

I think herpes has been on the planet for forever and I am sure the Tibetans and Chinese have been dealing with it for some time.

lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Vanilla,
I had similar question posted. I have 3 active (herpes viruses) with my LD. I think when we are immunocompromised anything is possible. I know my viruses were "activated" with a cortisone shot that also disseminated the LD.

I have been on Valtrex for months, trying to get these 3 under control and reversing. Valcyte is better, but very expensive - both are expensive.

I have "met" several people now online with active herpes viruses and LD.

Ask Dr.H about Valtrex I know another patient of his near me who also has viral issues he put on Valtrex.

I think the viral issues are scarier than LD sometimes, I don't know which is worse. Viruses can cause everything from lymphoma to MS and more. However, LLMD's I have seen don't seem too concerned but they are keeping an eye on them by testing me every few months.

Take care.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Thanks.

I am not too concerned at this point either unless it keeps returning.

And I really am hoping not to have to take a med for herpes because I am already on 3 for LD and babs and I am not someone that likes taking meds at all. I would love to get off all meds and sooner rather than later.

butchieboo
Unregistered

Hey there vanilla,

Just to give you and anyone else out there an indication I looked up an old labcorp comprehensive infectious disease blood test I had done....

Back in jan of 99....after I relapsed from lyme and six months of oral doxy and ammoxy.

I was positiv IGG AND IGM for
California enceph(lacrosse)
Eastern Equine encephalitis AB
St louis encephalitis virus
western equine encephalitis
LCM virus and CMV(cytomegalovirus IgG as well as
Poliovirus AB CF QN
HSV
HSV1
HSV2

Adenovirus AB,CF
(influenza types A and B AB,CF
Measles Rubeola
Mumps AB IGg IFA
Varicella-Zoster AB,CF
COXSACKIE A AB PANEL CF
TYPES
Coxsackie B AB panel, CF
types
Echovirus ab panel CF
types
Strangely enough no positive for Ehrlicha Chaffeensis DNA PCR
or
Babesia or HIV
So I do believe some of these things testing positive in my blood have got to be crossreferrences to co/infections of lyme.

and

Although I tested neg for Ehrlich and Babs I still had symptoms of each...

There is a great big Grab-bag of diseases that come along for the ride out of the ticks belly....
No Wonder we're almost all chronically ill with this crap!

Hope this helps...BB

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement