LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Scared for flagyl

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scared for flagyl
PBizzle
Member # 11463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PBizzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I have a bacterial infection, unrelated to lyme. This calls for FLAGYL. I'm terrified. Doc knows I have lyme, but doesn't seem a bit concerned with adding flagyl to the mix.

I've heard many horror stores about this drug. I'm taking 500mg twice daily for three weeks. I'm still continuing the Doxy as well.

What should I expect? A herx from the land of hell? Most of my lyme symptoms have always been GI related, so if I haven't already felt like death, I certainly will after starting this. Right?

Posts: 81 | From Central PA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1,000 mg a day of Flagyl!!!!!!!!

BIG NO! You will be in the hospital. This is one of the strongest ABX in terms of herx reactions and lyme disease. I started out with a 250mg pill and cut it into a 1/4th. This was enough to knock me on the floor for a day in writhing pain and I was totally diabled from it. I strongly suggest not doing as your doctor said [Eek!]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maritzap
Member # 11146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maritzap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 15 year old daughter has been on flagyl for 3 weeks and levaquin 1 week.
No problems with either one yet.
She started to herx bad after 1 week and we just increased her detox herbs.
Also infrared sauna has helped her detox too. She goes 1x per week. Probiotics also must do.
The detox is so very important I believe.
Her biggest complaint lately has been upset stomach. Can't find anything helpful for that.
Good Luck
Maritza

Posts: 75 | From San Diego, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IF this were ME, no way I'd take that much the first few days. It would knock me flat.

It's NOT me, so do what you feel is best. I'm not a doctor.

Is this your GP who prescribed this? Not an LLMD?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tinidizole is similar to Flagyl but has much less side effects.
Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am pulsing Flagyl(generic brand)-two weeks on, two weeks off. 500mg three times daily. My LLMD will not prescribe it for any more than 2 weeks at a time.

And yes, it is a kicker. I even warn friends when I am about to start a two week course not to expect too much from me.

Last go around I had SEVERE headaches the first couple of days. Just when I was about to throw in the towel the headaches let up.

I don't feel much like participating in life while I'm on it-so I don't. I cut myself a break and say the most important thing I am doing now is taking care of myself.Which usually means sleeping a lot.

I also mark a calendar so I can see the end of the tunnel. It's like crossing the finish line.

Important tip- the generic brand has the worst taste-I learned here on Lymenet to dip it in Olive Oil before taking- goes down smooth.

Flagyl is often used for treating the cyst form of Lyme.

Carol

treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont be affraid of Flagyl if you want do tindamax.

I have done flagyl or its generic a lot did it one time 6 months straight no big deal just dont drink alcohol.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please don't let these other posts scare you. When I took Flagyl for Lyme, I took 2,000 mg per day. I herxed very hard yes, but it was a normal, and expected reaction. I made tremendous progress on Flagyl and it was essential to my treatment and recovery protocol. 1,000 mg/day is a low dose, typical for parasites, etc. When I got giardia I took 500 mg 3x per day.

I took Flagyl for 2 months straight, then began pulsing it in higher doses. They make Flagyl ER as well.

If you are going to be afraid of treatment, (work on that) and then think which is worse, the disease, or the possible side effects from it working? it doesn't take long to realize you have to treat Lyme disease aggressively, and bite the bullet and get down to business. Stay on your protocol, stay the course, and fight!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
High dosages are OK....I just would NOT begin there!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penn92
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penn92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please don't let the scary stories put you off. I was freaked out when I started on Flagyl, too, but for no reason, it turned out. I did fine - minor herx, nothing to speak of, really. More improvement of sx than anything else.

I think you need to see how you, personally, react. Start out on one dose for 2-3 days and see what happens. If you're OK, then add in the second dose. You're smart enough to know your own body and what you can handle.

--------------------
Getting older is when we would rather not have a good time
than have to get over it. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 386 | From Radnor, PA - where the ticks run free | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi PB

This is the thing about flagyl--

Some people get Really Bummed Out --
Get thoughts of harming oneself --

Crazy thoughts ect --

It is Important to have someone
Keep a Eye on you --

It even bummed me out and I Never get
bummed out --

Some of the wackyest posts folks have
written on Lymenet has been while
these folks were taking Flagyl --

Crazyness seems to take awhile to happen-
builds up slowly -- week or three --

Most folks Herx perty Hard on Flagyl-
so be expecting it --

Drink Lots of Tea or water -- Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pattilynn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pattilynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on Biaxin and just added flagyl this week. After a few days (last night) I got a severe migraine. I mean severe! I vomited, dry heaved from the pain from 10 pm to 6 am. I had to call off work. The pain was so bad I thought I would die. I'm better now. Very scared to take it again!
Posts: 340 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement