LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » GABA and NO

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GABA and NO
BJG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I am checking on GABA and NO.

Does it make any sense to use the same products that body builders use in regard to GABA and Nitrous Oxide.

Although I am not a body builder {Not even close}
many of there suppliments make sense in becoming whole again from Lyme.

Thanks
BJG [woohoo]

Posts: 468 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looking into GABA led me to reading about Bacopa, a more natural comparable treatment - look it up. It is interesting. I have not tried it yet.

ESG

Posts: 424 | From Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BJG,

Don't lie. I have seen you. You look like you are on steroids with all of those muscles! Everyone would die to have a body like yours. [bow]

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8880 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up

--------------------
Hiker53

Posts: 8880 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took GABA for quite awhile. It got rid of my migraines and made me calmer, but it does not cross the blood brain barrier well, so you will need about 1,500 mgs. daily to feel anything, IMO.

Creatine might be another very good body builder's supp. to increase our energy with Lyme.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susan2health
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan2health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to increase GABA slowly--it can cause brief rapid heart beat and light headedness in some people.

I experienced that with too high of doses.

Posts: 233 | From United States | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More sense to take complete amino acids...as in gelatin. It is a complete protein supplement and is cheap.

Do not add to juice (one of the amino acids reacts negatively with juice...I forgot which one, but can find the info. if needed. Scott, do you remember which amino acid it was?)

Buy a can of gelatin at the grocery store. Get cheap empty gelatin capsules at a drug store. Open them and scoop the powdered gelatin into them. Close the capsules. Take with water.

Now...too many proteins (acidic) can be hard on the kidneys, soooooooo...

Counter this with a sugar Bb cannot use...

D-ribose, a 5 carbon sugar.

Which can -> hypoglycemia.

Which can be countered by D-glucose, commonly known as dextrose.

Tablets are available OTC.

I don't think Bb can use DELTA glucose/dextrose.

I highly suspect Bb's PKC inhibitor is PKC DELTA...

We respond by upregulating all the "alphas" (inflammatory factors), "betas" (function unknown) and "gammas" (anti-oxidant support).

I think we need to over-ride Bb's block on the "deltas".

Educated guess.

P.S. Bb cannot grow in gelatin. It needs specific sugars and fats.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would glycine do the same as the gelatin?

What ratios of sugars to gelatin/glycine?

elle

--------------------
When I feel blue . . . . . . its time to take another breath

Posts: 296 | From East Coast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

up

--------------------
Hiker53

BJG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all,
Thanks for your responses.

My inquiry into Gaba and specific amino acids is in hopes of finding a way out of this terrible skin burning.

I had read that Gaba may be afective in blocking the pain.

Any suggestions???

thanks
BJG

Hiker, watch your back, I may just egg your RED CAR!!! [woohoo]

Posts: 468 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

BJG,

Your grandma car will have to catch my sporty car first unless you have a good throwing arm--which you probably do if you are using GABA!

Hiker [Wink]

--------------------
Hiker53

klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BJG,
I am no doctor, but I doubt GABA will block skin burning, because, as I said above, I took large doses of GABA for a long while, and I've also taken Xanax around the clock for over 21 years now for muscle spasm. Xanax also works on GABA receptors.

I have a severe problem with skin burning, especially in the evenings, and in summer time. My skin turns red and burns like someone has taken a blow torch to it. It affects my whole body to the point where sometimes I can't wear a bra or shoes and is especially bad on my face and arms, and neither GABA nor Xanax has stopped it.

Please don't let that stop you from trying it, however. I would love to know if it works for you. Good luck with it,

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elavil helped me with the skin burning, but I had an adverse reaction, so I wasn't able to continue with it.

Talk to your doc about it; ultimately, most of my skin burning is now resolving, now that I have a doc who knows the score and has got me on treatment that is working

[woohoo]

P.S. Can I have bodybuilder muscles too? And a little red car?

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beach4so
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beach4so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BJG,

My whole family from myself to my 3 kids, 10, 7 and 5 are all on Gaba and other amino acids for the lyme. It has been wonderful for all of us.

The LLMD gave my 5 year old Clindagel which is Clindamycin phosphate topical gel for his skin. He always had rashes, and complained of it hurting.

He was very sensetive to the sun and detergents too. This has really helped him.

Hope you find something to help you soon.
Starr

Posts: 698 | From Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement