LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I had an BAD ACCIDENT involving a MOWER...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I had an BAD ACCIDENT involving a MOWER...
wilsongal22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11210

Icon 9 posted      Profile for wilsongal22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummm...hello. Some may have noticed me not being on as much. I haven't had time with playing so much tennis constantly and some other stuff.

But, yesterday was a day that changed all that. My dad mows grass for a living(some of you may already know that) and I was helping him as usual.

The grass was dead except one little spot so we decided to go ahead and do it because we were going out of town this weekend and wouldn't be able to do it.

So, I started and noticed the mower was a half inch to low. I was using a different mower that with the bar the blades are turning at all times unless it is off. Which is opposite the usual one I use. Normally you let go of the bar the blades STOP.

Anyways, I went to change the height of the wheels. Raise it up a half inch. I went to the front and like a dumby I barely lifted the front, as usual, to change the wheels. Just enough for the wheels to come off the ground.

When all of a sudden there was a huge grinding noise [Frown] and I was freaked out. I saw it had gotten the end of my shoe, but didn't even think about my foot. I was angry because I knew I was going to be in so much trouble. [Mad] I had a lot on my mind and just didn't think about it until it was to late.

After I saw it had gotten my foot to I started running to the truck and waving at my dad. I was freaking out and shaking very bad and so scared he would be mad at me for being so careless.

It didn't hurt but a little and he yelled at first but he was only scared. I was just mad at myself for what had happened. [Mad] So, my mom came and took me to the E.R.

It wasn't bad. It only got my first two toes on the right side. It got the second toe worse.

After about 5 hours, I got 7 stiches in my second toe and I broke it and lost the nail completely. I lost part of my nail on my big toe. But, it wasn't that bad. Not a lot of pain or nothing I was just beating myself up for letting it happen. It didn't seem real at all.

Today it looked much much worse! It doesn't hurt much though. I am up and about because I HATE to sit but I have been trying. I have antibiotics I am taking in case of infection and I have pain meds but I am not taking them. (I don't like pain meds because I try to work through it, but if it were necessary I would)

I was going on vacation to Florida Friday but my parents canceled for 2 weeks because I can't get my foot wet in any way at all. I love riding the waves so it wasn't an option for me. And they hated to see me stay home. So...

Also, I can't play tennis for a long time. I can't do anything until after the 30th. After that it is up to my toes to tell me. He said it would take 6-8 weeks for my broke toe to heal. Which pretty much means NO TENNIS THE WHOLE SUMMER...BUMMER.

That's what I planned on doing EVERYDAY.

But, as much as I am beating myself up, I look at the positive, I am alive, and I have all my toes!

Although the thought of using a mower again freaks me out and I can't stop thinking about it or hearing the sound of it. And people keep talking about how I did it, and why, and I should have known better, and all of this, but they weren't there and it makes me sad and angry when they say that stuff.

It was a freak accident and I NEVER meant for it to happen.

But, I am doing ok. A little sore and upset I can't do anything, but I am still alive so...I have that to be thankful for. And the fact that it wasn't worse.

I have my shoe as well! Which looks cool... [Smile]

Well, I thought I would update on how my summer was going so far! [Smile]

Thanks and BE CAREFUL MOWING!!!! [Big Grin]

[ 15. June 2007, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: wilsongal22 ]

--------------------
Jesus sweated blood over the task that lay before Him.He could have escaped his brutal execution at anytime,but he didn't he stayed there for you.

God bless,Christi

Posts: 306 | From Alabama | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaS
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope it heals quickly for you Christi! So you can go to Fla and swim and have some fun!

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, be glad it was just your toes.

There was a man here in Wisconsin a few years ago, that fell over backwards while mowing with a push mower, and forgot to let go of the mower.

Well, he cut off his You-Know-What and it was in all the newspapers, etc..

Talk about embarassing.

Take care. ALL accidents are stupid and freaks.

I don't know of anyone who "plans" them. THAT is why they are called accidents.

Jim. [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wilsongal,

I hear a perfectionist in you. You are really beating yourself up for a common mistake. All accidents come about due to a careless moment.

We all have careless moments. Be very glad you weren't injured more seriously and hopefully this injury will heal without complication.

Its okay that you made a mistake. Really! It really is okay. The important thing is you. You were not hurt any worse than you were. You are important. Its okay that you made a mistake.

Please have loads of fun in Florida and take care to keep you wounds clean until they heal.

You sound like a great helper to your folks!

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaime1978
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaime1978     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow. I am glad you are alright. What a scary thing to have happen. I'm sure your parents aren't mad, they are just scared.

My uncle lost his eye from a lawnmower. It drives me nuts when I see these people on riding lawnmowers with thier little kids sitting on their laps. accidents only take a second.

don't beat yourself up, and count your blessings...you are very lucky.

jaime

Posts: 151 | From ohio | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry you hurt yourelf Christi, I hope you will be feeling better soon. [Wink]
Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to read this!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The accident sure did screw up your plans for the summer. Accidents happen and especially mower accidents. It's a reminder that when using power equipment you must be alert at all times.

May you find something else to keep you going during the summer. You are a lucky girl. It could of been so much worse.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilsongal22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilsongal22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!

Although, I feel really bad for the guy in Wisconsin...poor guy.

It looked worse yesterday, but it hasn't hurt much. It is weird to see it and remember that a lawn mower did it. It still doesn't seem real to me. But, the doctor I had was one of the best in the state with numbing and foot care. He was stationed in Germany and he was in the army and he saw things like my foot often.

But, he said it would be numb for a long time. It was still numb a lot yesterday! I think it is more awake today because it is hurting more.

I am also going with my friend from across the street to tennis practice. I tried calling my coach, but no answer. I love to watch them play and I need to talk to her so I just decided I would go!

At least it gets me out of the house. This place is like a prison to me! I don't like be locked up! [Smile]

Well, so far everything is going good with it. As long as it doesn't get infected I will be ok!

Thanks everyone!

--------------------
Jesus sweated blood over the task that lay before Him.He could have escaped his brutal execution at anytime,but he didn't he stayed there for you.

God bless,Christi

Posts: 306 | From Alabama | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Largest number of home injuries are caused by lawn mowers. I used to mow in steel toed boots.

You lose a toe, you ask for back trouble later in life. Those toes are important.

Never adjust a running mower!

Hope you have fun, lesson learned, take care. That was scary.

Kelly

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you heal quickly and are back doing all the things you enjoy quickly as well.

Try not to feel guilty about this because guilt is useless emotion.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilsongal22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilsongal22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...have fun? I don't know about that. Kind of hard since I can't do ANYTHING at all.

It bothers me how everyone(not on here) is joking about it until they actually see my toes. Then, they cringe and look away and say "ewww...goh that looks awful."

Then, they freak when I tell them I haven't taken any pain medicine for it at all. I don't like taking pain meds so I never do for anything. I have always learned to deal with it so, I am not a pain med type of person.

But, I have found that people freak also when I say "lawn mower." If I were to say a dog bit it they wouldn't freak as much. It's weird how that is. I guess lawn mower blades are a lot scarier than dogs!

But, then some people don't think anything of it. Like almost losing my toes doesn't bother them at all. I mean it is pretty bad, but everyone forgets that because I am so calm about it. They forget just how bad it was.

But, everything is going good. No sign of infection or nothing. I still can't really feel them though. And I can't move them at all. I have sat for hours bare footed watching my toes trying so hard to get them to move normally! It's sad.

I just wonder if I will ever be 100% again. Or if something as small as a toe has ended a lot of what I like to do. I mean, it was a pretty bad accident. But, I guess I won't find out right now.

A few months time will tell. Until then, I hope everyone has a GREAT WEEKEND! And if your going to mow [Big Grin] , BE CAREFUL! [Big Grin]

--------------------

God bless,Christi

wilsongal22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11210

Wednesday I went and got my stitches out. The doc said I took perfect care of it and it looked perfect. I got the ok to be able to get it wet.

When I took a shower the scab got soft and came off!!

The deepest part is, of course, down to the bone, well, that part wasn't healed together at all.

It was completely open and started bleeding really bad. It was late and I didn't want to wake my parents but it scared me because I figured it should be at least healed together from the stitches, but it wasn't.

Water = big mistake

I told them yesterday and it seems the stiches should have been in longer or more of them. It was a really bad laceration. All the way to the bone which of course is broken. So, with it opening and closing(which is gross) I was scared about it.

It is a setback. It is also draining yellow! So gross, but I didn't know what to do about it.

I was going to go back to the E.R. because the sheet said to and had a list of things to go back for and I have several things on the list.

I am waiting to see what it does and if it doesn't start getting better I will have to go back and see what's up.

So, a little setback for now. But, the little parts that have healed left a wicked bad scar!

So, I will see how it goes and let you know if anything happens.

Thanks. Have a GREAT weekend!

[ 16. June 2007, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: wilsongal22 ]

--------------------

God bless,Christi

lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christi,

If it's draining yellow it is already infected and needs to be treat ASAP.

If you did not get to a doctor's office today I would suggest that at least your parents call a doctor and get advice.

Probably you will need a return trip to the ER for a doctor to assess it and rx abx to get rid of the infection., This is nothing to play around with, or to wait around to see what heppens. I needs to be taken are of NOW!

Please show this to your parents if they are unwilling to take you to get it treated. I am adult, with three grown children. I would not allow this to go untreated if it were my own child.

Please let us know what happens with this, after it is taken care of. It definitely needs immediate medical attention. Even if it's one of those urgent care centers, it needs to be seen by a doctor.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilsongal22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11210

Ok. Thanks. I thought that same thing. Something about yellow stuff didn't look good to me but...

It was only a small amount. It isn't continuing to drain or anything. It just happened once. But, once is all it takes. Hopefully if it doesn't look better tomorrow I will be going back.

I was supposed to today, but it didn't look that bad. No fever or anything.

But, I will take your advice into consideration and see about going as soon as I can. Just to make sure. It can't hurt at least.

Thanks so much for your concern. And I will let you know what happens. Have a GREAT weekend! [Big Grin]

--------------------

God bless,Christi

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement