LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » why do symptoms disappear when travelling? strange......

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: why do symptoms disappear when travelling? strange......
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is one problem that has me completely stumped. i welcome all comments but ask that you be nice...LOL...

ok, here is what is so dang strange. i just went to oklahoma for several days. i had a good time, slept so so but felt very well. i drove about 3 1/2 hours, no problems.

i had no symptoms when i was at her house and went out to eat. had chicked fried salad which was great, no side effects. also had spaghetti and corn beef for dinner a couple of nights. she does not eat any breads, not too many sweets, and i had no soft drinks. water and a little tea to drink.

i was pretty tired tho and went to bed about 9 both evenings and would get up at 7-8 clock in the morning.

we went shopping and enjoyed ourselves, only my legs were a little weak, not to bad.

so why were my symptoms so much less than when i was at home.

i took no pain meds, and had forgotten all my vitamins and therlac, so all i took was bp meds.

psycho maybe? way less stress maybe?

wierd. has this happened to anyone else?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuLuFlorida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuLuFlorida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find that this happens to me too. I think it's a mental thing abuot being in a new environment. Also, I know I dont want to look sick around people. Over memorial day weekend I had my family reunion and had very little symptoms the entire time and only slept about 8 hours a night. I also played with my little cousins and wasn't in too much pain. When I returned home however I slept for about 2 days straight and have been in constant pain since. So who know.. just my opinion thoguh.

--------------------
"One day at a time"

Current:
-1.2 IM bicillin three times a week
-1.25 IV Vancomycin every day
-IV glutathione and IM B12
-Byron White since Jan. 2011
-ALA, Yasko protocal, Adapten-All, thyrosol, Pekano, phosphalipid exchange, probiotics, oregano...

Posts: 390 | From FLORIDA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randibear -

I've had similar experiences!

First thing that came to mind is allergies -- the trees are horrible in terms of pollen right now. When I go to different environments with different plantings, my allergies lessen.

Also, MOLD & MILDEW. Tis the season. Is your home mold/mildew free? Spring time is pretty moldy too. Drier environments are better.

Also, sometimes wanting to have fun with someone distracts me momentarily from my body aches. At home alone or doing tasks that are not as fun, I notice my symptoms more. I also push more to be able to do things with people. Afterwards when I go home, I'm exhausted!

That said, dizziness and vision stuff really derails me no matter where I am. Weak legs in hot environments is also no fun.

Now that you are back from your visit, are you cumulatively tired from the trip?

Not to overanalyze by seeing the tick half full,,,

Maybe it was just a good thing!

Blessings,

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had similar experiences, but I think it's in part due to the different schedule I keep when I'm with others. When I'm home I stay up too late at night, and get into a bad schedule of waking up late, staying up late.

When I am at others' homes I get in synch with their schedules and I think that helps me. I also usually get more sleep at night than I do when I am at home, just go to bed earlier, and still sleep in a little late, when at all possible.

I also take advantage of not being at home and don't feel like I have to do a lot to help out. I try not to completely mooch, but the people I visit know my limitations, so I can be myself and find things I can do that involve my sitting down to do them, etc.

I don't have the stress of figuring out what's for dinner, etc. I am the guest and I take advantage of that.

Last fall I visited relatives who were getting ready for their son's wedding. I was very much involved in the process, but I made sure I still got my naps in the afternoons and I know they appreciate the things I did.

I put together photos of the bride and groom as they grew up and made a nice display of it. It was something I was quite comfortable doing, since I am a scrapbooker, but they were clueless about. So it worked out well for us all.

There are certain people I especially enjoy visiting for that reason. They allow me to be the guest and to get much needed rest. When I return home I feel like I've been on a good vacation.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was going to say mold too.

but could be because you are up moving about, outside more, distracted too.

I went out of town and im still feeling the affects of the trip and the car ride. But i did pretty well while away except for brain fog.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
- mold
- furniture outgasing poison like formaldehyde
- EMF's
???

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's not environmental, it could definitely be the lack of stress. Just being away from work, or having the adrenaline of travel, can make you feel better.

I find I'm worse at night on work travel. But I hardly notice symptoms during the day because I'm so busy. Often, I do really well on vacations.

I felt my best when I was in Costa Rica last year. In that case, I think a lot was the clean environment and fresh, unprocessed foods I was eating.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try check out Gabrielle's comments.
Move your bed into a different location. Geopathic stress. Remove all electrics ---------------------- shut off fuses. Are you sleeping in a room adjoining room with computer - is computer on the same wall of the other room? Lots of talk about all of this on this board.

If it is negative exposure in the home, we stay the longest in one place when we sleep and it hits us hardest.

Microwave towers nearby? cordless phones?

People you live with - problems???

Do search this board.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think its adrenaline because I tend to feel better in the midst of travelling also (not well, just better).

It has always been like that and I've been sick about 20 years and during that time lived in 3 different houses in 2 different countries...so, what I'm saying is that I don't think its the stuff around us because you'll find most of the chemicals, etc everywhere anyway, and maybe mold in many places also.

But, of course, could be different reasons for different people.

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point here is......

YOUR MIND IS NOT CONSENTRATING on that crap you spend all day worrying about! Lyme! You, as well as many others here, may not even have Lyme, maybe it is a mental issue, maybe something else?

Spend more time living your life without (Whatever) it is you are going through, and you will see you feel less and less ill!

These boards should not be your life!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvdogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvdogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes when I have gone away and have forgotten my vitamins and supplements - or something happened to them, I discovered that certain ones were actually making me worse.

For example, I went into the desert for a few weeks and brought all my vitamins etc. My B-complex melted in the desert sun and so I couldn't take it. I started feeling well after that. When I got home and took the again I realized I couldn't sleep again and felt anxious. That was when realized that the b-vitamins were not working well for me. I was also then able to get off abx for the first time.

I think our bodies change their needs sometimes and we should be constantly re-evaluating our supplements and making sure they are still right for us.

That is just one possibility that came to mind for me when I read your post.

Posts: 588 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oral B-Complex vitamins feed mostly the parasites, not much else. I have posted about that fact many times.

I have also posted many times that it is of advantage to take vitamin vacations. Vitamins are extremely concentrated and often challenge the organs because they seem to have to work double hard, with the end result that we become allergic toward them.

Dr. K. has often remarked people coming with their sacks of supplement containers on their first visit only to find via ART testing that they are incompatible with many of them. What good do they do then?

It's a good idea to get tested with a good form of muscle testing to avoid such problems.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The times I've traveled, I've actually been worse, with my symptoms exacerbated.
Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilsongal22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilsongal22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I would have to agree with BostonLyme.

I am not sure if what I have is in my head, but I feel better when my mind is on other things. At least most of the time.

Now that I started playing tennis I thought everything would be so much worse, but I feel so much better when I play. I lose myself in the game and only think about it.

But, when I find myself constantly on here, or thinking about going to the doctor and everything that is going on, I feel terrible. Everything seems to get worse.

So, maybe thinking about other things and focusing on them ONLY does make a difference.

When I travel, I worry a lot about what I will feel like, but I usually feel a lot better.

I think it has a lot to do with stress, concentration, and where our minds are. I don't take pain meds EVER. I don't feel like that is the way for me to go. Instead I focus on something else. I talk to it and tell myself it isn't real and stuff like that.(which sounds stupid and weird) But, it works for me. Just not thinking about it.

I know that it will eventually go away. And I just think right on through it. Just getting my mind off of it.

--------------------
Jesus sweated blood over the task that lay before Him.He could have escaped his brutal execution at anytime,but he didn't he stayed there for you.

God bless,Christi

Posts: 306 | From Alabama | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenaD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have also noticed I get worse when I travel and for a day or two. I recently read that the Lyme bacteria react when we travel. (How they know we're traveling beats me!)

But I think being distracted from pain or a problem in general always helps.

--------------------
"Never underestimate the power of a few committed people to change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead

Posts: 290 | From New York | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I travel for a day or two, I always feel better. But, I usually feel REALLY bad the few days leading up to the trip. It's almost like my body knows it needs to clean things up a bit so I feel good while I'm away.

When I'd go see my daughter at college, the day before I'd be so sick I wouldn't think I could go, then the morning of, I'd be fine.

I do have good days at home, so it's not my home environment causing it.

I think our brain has more power over our bodies than we give it credit for. It's almost like if there's something important, it deals with things around that event.

We can't totally "think" away the disease, but we can feel the best we can for something important. At least, that's how it seems to work for me.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement