LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Newbie: First herx? scary?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Newbie: First herx? scary?
Mtndog
Member # 11523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mtndog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi- I am a newbie here. I was diagnosed by Igenix and Dr M in hampton.

I just started Biaxin 500 mg twice a day last wednesday and had what I believe to be a herx.

But it scared the heck out of me.

I essentially was non-functional from wednesday until today (5 days). All I wanted to do was sleep.

My joint pain was horrific (ended up taking a strong pain killer).

I did have an appetite which helped.

A lot of anxiety.

I guess I was just taken aback by how strong the reaction was.

Just wondering if the first herx is supposed to be THAT bad.

Also wondering if future herxes will be as bad.

Believe I was infected in 2003.

Posts: 24 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dlp252
Member # 10711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dlp252     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[hi]

Can't answer your question because I haven't had a lyme herx yet but I know there are lots of people who have intimate experience with them, but just wanted to say hi!

Posts: 83 | From us | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mtndog - I, too, was infected in 2003 and that same year I received 4 weeks of IV rocephin.

After about a week on the rocephin I had my first herx and it was HORRENDOUS! I had a 105 fever and was incredibly ill for 4 days.

I have never had a herx as bad as that one since. My opinion is that before you ever hit the spirochetes with antibiotics they're all in the active stage, close to the surface of your body because the body environment is not toxic for them.

When the antibiotics get them the first time it's like a bomb hit them. There are many casualties because they were all out and about doing their business.

Later, when you keep hitting them, they've gone into stealth mode - they change to cyst form, go intracellular, and go deeper into the body. Basically, they're in their bunkers and it's war as they try to evade the toxic antibiotic environment.

The herxes aren't as bad then because you're not killing as many as you did with the first bomb.

A whole arsenal is needed to get them in their hiding places and it takes time. A Lyme doctor is your best bet to help you know how to get to those that are in hiding.

Best wishes to you and I hope you have much success feeling better!

Lymelady

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dog, did you get my 50+ pages newbie links, advise, symptoms, igenex tests, HERXING, disability, much more, and treepatrol's newbie archive link of 1000 sites of GOOD info?

i was off board for 1 month during time you joined for my hip replacement surgery/recup. if you did NOT, please send me a PM.

that's the 2nd icon to right of my name; 2 people standing there by envelop. click on there and ask me to send to you, will explain a lot about what you are asking about, and much more.

yes, i had herxes from day 1; 1 severe herx after being put on flagyl.

if/when you get my links; after the long 125_+ symptoms list is a chart; pritn it off. KEEP TRACK OF WHAT YOUR HERX IS DOING TO YOU. wished i'd done that 3 yrs. ago, but didn't know about that, etc....too new to being dx after being misdx for 34 years!! [cussing]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mtndog! [hi]

Past your first herx! [woohoo]

Glad you're feeling better ... good to see you here (do you know who I am? [Big Grin] )

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mtndog
Member # 11523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mtndog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[bonk] [bonk]

I can't possibly imagine whose user name would be sixgoofykids when it should be ImarriedMrDarcy [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

Posts: 24 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[spinning smile] [Big Grin] That would be a good name, too. [Big Grin]

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mtgdog. My first herxes sound a lot like yours with the extreme fatigue and anxiety. The only thing I didn't have was intolerable pain. My joint pain came over a year into my treatment and is not too bad.

Typically your first herx/herxes are the worst. As time goes on they get easier and easier. Now 16 months into treatment I barely notice them.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that sounds about right to me for your first herx, if you were infected and never treated before!

Best wishes.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement