LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Artemmisinin Herx??? Opinions needed and welcome

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Artemmisinin Herx??? Opinions needed and welcome
robi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ramped up to 300mg x 3 . On the 6th day I felt like my brain was going to expolde. The back of my neck and into my head was so painful. Crushing headache!!! I have also been about 3 x more fatigued that ususal. That means my words are barely audible I am only moving for nesessary things like going to the bathroom.

Damn, is this a babesia herx or a reaction to the Artemisinin? I took today off artemisinin but scared to start again.

My lyme symptoms also seem to be flaring like crazy. And my feet and hands are cramping .... this is one symptom that had actually gone away ... now it to is back along wiht increase in all the stuuf that never left but at least had subsided a bit.

Please enlighten me with what you know.

Looking for knowledge more than sympathy.

Thanks,
robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Robi,

I had terrible herxes from Art.
I would herx after only ONE.

Primary herx symptom was head pressure, ears popping and increase in symptoms.

I am going to throw ART into the mix of Rife, herbs, Abx, Teasel Rt, and oregano.

It obviously is doing something.
Hopefully you are experiencing a die off.

Good Luck

Peace,
BJG [bonk]

Posts: 468 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOEJR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robi your mail box is full

--------------------
Please consult your LLMD before making any changes to your treatment regimen.

Posts: 641 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi robi

Sorry to hear you are feeling so bad. Don't really know if there is a sure fire way to know if it's a herx or a reaction to the art.

Wow! 900mg a day. That sounds high to me. I ramped up very slowly to 800 a day, but only made it to 4 days at that strength... Was pukin & thought I was going to die. Most of my symptoms where out of control.

When I backed down to 400-500 ?(sorry I can't remember the exact amount at the momnet) the adverse symptoms let up quit a bit. This is how I know it was probably the art and not the other babs rx's I was taking with it at the time.

I also have read the dosage goes by body weight- am very thin at best 95lbs. It can also go by how high your germ load is. You may have just too high a germ load to handle that dosage.

Can you take more time out to detox & regain your strength?

There is an art/babs thread in search but I could not find it tonight. I think True posted it a while back. But it has some good info on art & adverse reactions. I think it had to do with nerve damage. When you are feeling better you may want to look for it.

Sorry, I wish I had better advise.

Hope you can feel better soon [group hug]
Dana

none of the above is medical advise...just my 2 cents

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OUCH! So sorry!

First of all...are you really taking 300mg 3 times a day? (900mg a day?) Goodness I hope not! Especially at a starting dose.

Art is nothing to play with, and you now know why. I would strongly suggest waiting a few days to clear yourself, and then beginning again at a much lower dose.

I have been on it for over a year now and am only taking 300mg a day. Doc wanted me on 600, but that was just too much for me...and I felt like you do.

So sorry, and hope you feel better real soon.

Much love,
M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's WAY too big of a dose to start with. I was just ramping up using 100mg/day and on the 4th or 5th day my leg muscles cramped up so badly I was on crutches.

back off a bit and ramp up slowly...otherwise you might find yourself with a toxic load like polar blast, and that much toxin takes a good long while to get rid of.

my non professional opinion

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robi,
Artemisinin is powerful stuff. Maybe the strongest thing I've ever tried.

I take 100 mg at bed and on waking and am sure I couldn't handle more. Granted I'm whimpier than some but still suggest starting off slower.

I would agree with Melanie and stop and let it clear and go back at it slowly. Ramp up as you are ready and able. Trust me the small dose will still do plenty.

That too big a herx kiddo. I was told by reliable sources that Art hits 4-5 days in and again at 30 days. I'd go slow until you see how those time work out. you can always raise it later.

It's obvious is was for sure doing something.

Call me if I can help confuse you more. Not really, but if you need someone to bouce ideas off... you know where to find me, ok?

And I miss you and think you are cool and not scary. [Cool]

Hang in there buddy!

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How are you feeling today Robi?

Hope you can feel better soon [group hug]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kendrick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kendrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herx, suicide, whatever you want to call it. Some people say it works very well, and you have large herxes... well, it can't be proven either way and what good does it do you if it works very well, if it kills you.

Some people get upset by these posts, but you kind of get bitter when you only had vertigo, you take something, and you almost die from it, bedridden for months...

4.5 months later now, I just started being able to drive down the road to a friends and walk around more instead of being bedridden/houseridden.

Let's hope at the 2 year mark, I can work again, considering I only had vertigo, swollen ears/sinuses when I started, but could still take care of myself.

Do a search on previous posts.

--------------------
Never walk through a cornfield backwards.

About me(Yahoo): http://360.yahoo.com/profile-NR1Y8cw6fqhtrewwItSlfsgQDIhaOojd

Posts: 315 | From Florida | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robi,

I agree with the others that you need to back off the dosage. [Eek!] My LLMD had me start on 100 mg/day for the first week. Then, if tolerating I was to add 100 mg more the next week. He wanted me to go up to a maximum of 300 mg/day.

I'm on a bunch of other stuff, too, but I do think your dosage is too high, and too fast! I also agree that it would be good thing to call your LLMD about.

On the advice of others I put off starting artemisinin until my LLMD told me to do it.

Hope you're feeling better! [group hug]

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BartonFink
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BartonFink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tried it a couple of weeks ago. Got severe insomnia and anxiety. Insomnia passed but still got the anxiety and I HATE IT! Wont touch that stuff again.

Just my experience.

--------------------
Please dont suggest "ask your LLMD" because we dont have them here in this country... [Frown] I just have to count on you fellow patients. [Smile]

Posts: 246 | From Finland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While waiting for my lyme tests to come back, I started on my daugter's artmesia (Dr. Zhang's). It's 400mg capsules, but it has other stuff in it.

I can definitely feel weird things going on. I feel a swelling or tightness in my head, my chest feels like my lungs are burning. I've been emotional and crying over stuff that I had long since put behind me. Crying over music.

I have a hard time getting out of bed in the am.

Can you have a herx on art and not have an infections?

Kelly

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtnwoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtnwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I unexpectedly did well with Mepron and Ketek against babs (got rid of some joint and chest pains) my LLMD wants me to do it again, this time w/ Art AND Septra if I can handle it -- but only M-W-F x 2 weeks, two weeks off.

He says to use Nutricology/Allergy Research brand. 15mg/kg/day 2x/day. For me that's 900mg day 2 doses. Wants me to only do 300mg 2x/d M W F the ist week, then 600mg 2x/day M W F the second week.

Oh yeah, throwing in Tindimax Th and Fr of the week.

He says sweats are a good sign of herxing on Art.

I may have got dosages, freq. wrong -- ask your onw LLMD!

He thinks geting rid of Babesia is key link to mopping up lyme. I think he said it's presence upregulates Bb. great...

Posts: 211 | From NC | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mtnwoman I like the way your LLMD thinks.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement