LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » off all abx due to GI issues - now what?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: off all abx due to GI issues - now what?
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD asked me to stop all abx and babs treatment while we're figuring out the cause of my recent GI issues.

Now I'm taking diflucan, plus probiotics, supplements, doing the anti-yeast diet etc & having a CT scan next week...

Once my gut starts to heal up, I can add abx back in, one at a time (I'm working on the assumption that the GI issue is yeast not something worse so this is dependent on test results).

Anyone willing to share similar experiences, or how long it took to get back on track?

How were your Lyme/Babs symptoms in the interim?

Did you find anything particularly helpful in healing or soothing your GI system?

Thanks, everyone... Y'all are the best!

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Cactus,
Sorry about the tummy issues. I hope it responds to yeast treatment.

I was still having some ab pains after the GB was gone and am taking a supplement for h.pylori. It seems to help with sore spots but not completely with overall digestion.

I have no connection to the company, blah, blah, blah...

The one I take is Dr's Best Pepzin GI (zinc carnosine)
http://ulcertreatment.libraryonhealth.com/read.php?id=4ac62c7b93b6f540922b26b01&chapter=5

Otherwise, I stopped my treatment last week for other reasons and am wondering how long it takes to tell the meds are out of your system. My head is clearer but otherwise feel about the same symptom-wise.

I hope you're feeling better and back on tract soon. (hahaha, came back to edit because I meant to write track and wrote tract. [lol] )

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]

I'll try that supplement - thanks for the link. I tested neg for h. pylori, but you never know...

Blech, after the GB came out I was hoping for no more issues like this!

--------------------

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi cactus

sorry about the GI issuess.

When you say GI issues can you be more specific?
Is it stomach problems or intestional problems?

I would like to help in any way I can. I have been having stomach problems for some time now.

hope you can feel better soon [group hug]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have GI issues, but I did before I started the meds. My LLMD has me on Questran and it's helping a lot.

He also recently had me tested for parasites/bacteria/candida. Haven't gotten those results yet.

Someone recommended coffee enemas to me. Sounds gross, but it's good for detoxing ... My GI tract has been settled now since the first time I did this.

Cutting out gluten also helps with the GI symptoms.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cactus:
[Big Grin]

I'll try that supplement - thanks for the link. I tested neg for h. pylori, but you never know...

Blech, after the GB came out I was hoping for no more issues like this!

Me too, test negative for h.pylori. doc still believes it's there though. Apparently, another thingy about unreliable tests. I'm not sure why they bother testing things at all. [shake]

Also... me too! about the GB but I have to say the constant URQ and wrap around back pain is gone as is the constant metallic taste in my mouth. woot! [Smile]

I get an occasional pain on the right but it's nothing like before. Oh yeah and getting the GB out stopped my daily fevers for months. Go figure!

I'm still thinking parasites, myself. I don't know why. I'm wondering if I can blame them for the gyn issues as well.  -

--------------------
more light, more love

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonwithlyme
Member # 10942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonwithlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son had terrible GI issues, ended up in the ER several times. Whatever the stuff was that made up the "GI Cocktail" was good stuff. [lick] I know it had mylanta in it and some type of numbing stuff. He had to stop his meds for 3 weeks and took Previcid which did work, however, because he went off all of the antibiotics he really crashed. It was a very rough 3 weeks. He was taking Zithromax which we determined was causing stomach issues, so he switched to Biaxin and has not had near the problems. The Biaxin is in the same family as Zithromax, however, it is slow releasing which helps! Hope this helps.

--------------------
Robin
www.caringbridge.org/visit/dustineckert

Posts: 76 | From Carlisle Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For nausea, the top things that helped me the most where carafate, prilosec & a bland ulcer diet.

I don't know how this is related but I started back on low doxipin for sleep & it cut my nausea down some too.

hugs & healing
dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Dana, the GI issues started out as diarrhea when I re-started zithromax in May.

I tried splitting the dose and taking it twice daily, which seemed to help a bit, but then I began developing nausea and abdominal cramping soon after each dose.

I'm no longer having diarrhea, just terrible abdominal cramping and nausea every time I eat.

Six, I haven't got my results for bacteria/candida back yet either. Cutting out gluten is really helping me also.

Haven't tried the coffee enema - but desperate times call for desperate measures, hmmmm...

True, yep - me too! Getting the GB out helped a lot. The gyn issues are still a biggy for me, so I wonder where to draw the line between GI or GYN issues - it's hard to tell the difference!

Thanks, sonwithlyme, I'm worried about crashing, too. I've taken biaxin before, so maybe I'll check into switching to that next. I hope your son is doing better now.

--------------------

cactus
Member # 7347

Dana, you must have posted while I was typing - thanks for the suggestions!

--------------------

5dana8
Member # 7935

what pro-biotics are you taking?

I would make sure to get extra friendly helpers in your gut

If it's the yeast the diflucan hopefully will help soon. But I just wanted to add to be sure to space the pro-biotics & diflucan at least 2 hours apart. Sorry if you already know this.

Nausea really stinks [Frown]

Hope you can feel better soon [group hug]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

cactus
Member # 7347

Dana, thanks - I didn't know to space the Diflucan and probiotics 2 hours apart, so that will be a big help!

Oh, and I'm taking Theralac and eating lots of yogurt.

Yep, nausea stinks!

I hope your stomach problems have improved...

Cactus

--------------------

kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Cactus. My daughter just had to take a week off abx to get her stomach back.

I forced aloe juice down her and made her drink the Siberian Natural Pine Nut Oil (you can google it, I don't have a link handy). Someone on this site recommended it a looong time ago.

I'm not sure what it has different, but it really helps my daughter.

I'm thinking it doesn't taste all that great, so I mix it with Powerade.

Take care.. Save the gut, save the body!

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Haven't tried the coffee enema - but desperate times call for desperate measures, hmmmm...

That's what pushed me to it. I've felt much better on all levels since I started with them. Google it ... it's amazing what comes up regarding it as a detox aide.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Kelly, I'm making a run to the natural food market & if I'm in luck they'll have Siberian Pine Nut Oil (crossing fingers).

How much & how often did you try to get her to drink that, and the aloe juice?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Six, I did some searching here last night about the coffee enemas. Oooooh, I'm not mentally ready for that yet, but if this continues...

--------------------

kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you can find something close. I had to order it online.

www.siberiantigernaturals.com/extravirginpinenutoil.htm

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

quote:
Six, I did some searching here last night about the coffee enemas. Oooooh, I'm not mentally ready for that yet, but if this continues...

I hear you, Cactus. I don't think I'm ready. [Frown]

--------------------
more light, more love

WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cactus did you have a stool culture for parasites and c.difficile?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

I did have stool culture, WC - waiting on test results now. It was not the 3 day test I've seen mentioned though - all samples were from the same day.

Kelly, thanks for hunting up that link, our local store didn't carry it so I'll have to order it.

I hope your daughter's GI issues have cleared up!

--------------------

tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried wormwood, black walnut, and cloves?

They kill adults, larva, and eggs - in that order.

I had zillions of stool parasite tests - all negative. If you'd have told me a year ago that I was going to pass rice-like thingers, I wouldn't have believed you. But I did. My neighbor is now a believer, too. Worth a try, and wormwood is supposed to kill babs, too.

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

quote:

LOL It's not as bad as it sounds ... just be sure the coffee has cooled off! [Big Grin] It's really not as bad as it sounds ... I've done medical tests that are MUCH worse!

--------------------

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

quote:
Originally posted by tailz:
Worth a try, and wormwood is supposed to kill babs, too.

ONLY the artemisia annua variety kills babs.

--------------------

cactus
Member # 7347

Tailz, I haven't tried wormwood (aside from using artemisinin as part of my babs treatment), black walnut or cloves. I'll hunt up some info on them - thanks for the lead.

Lyme ED, you are so right about protecting our stomach when we take our meds. ... and nova lox for GI system? I had no idea, but it makes sense.

Six, there's nothing like a nice hot cup of coffee... but... ouch! If I get to that point, I will definitely make sure it's cooled!

--------------------

JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may never be able to go back on oral abx. Depending on HOW bad your stomach is.

I had stomach pains before starting herbs. THe herbs did not make it ahy worse, but didn't make it better either. I added abx and my stomach got super bad. I finally had to quit the abx a year and a half ago, and went on the herbs only.

They still didn't make the stomach better. But I discovered C-Salts from nutri.com. THAT cured my stomach. BUT I never went back on the Tetracyclines or the Doxycycline. I have taken low doses of Amoxicillin for a couple of weeks at a time. BUT I could ONLY take that at least an hour before or after a meal and with a half glass of SKIM MILK.

The herbs in Stephen Buhner's Protocol from his Healing Lyme Naturally book, has worked wonders with my Lyme so the abx have not been necessary anymore anyway.

What a relief. No more pain, in the stomach, head, legs, etc.. Very little brain fog and much better vision, all from the herbs.

Many people do not get relief from abx, but do from the proper herbs. I also take 4,000mg of Vitamin C a day. THAT is what the C-Salts are. But in effervescent form.

Jim [Cool]

trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[kiss]

just wishing you better times ahead, dont have anything to add that others havent already said, except that book I mentioned earlier---UNWINDING THE BELLY. It has put me in touch with parts of myself i have been guarding against for years. it has freed up much GI issues. simple stuff. no pills or meds, just breathing and self massage every day.

55515 to ya,
trails

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement