LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » White Blood Cell Count Low! help?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: White Blood Cell Count Low! help?
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not yet talked to my doctor about this, but I thought I would see what anyone had to say on this, if they have experince with it.

I have Lyme Disease, Anaplasma, Ehrlicha, and Babesia.

My Abolute Neutrophils count is 1367. The Normal range is 1500-7800

Also, my red blood cell level is only .2 above the cut off point of normalcy.

I do not know what this is from. I only took this test after I started ABX, and so I do not know if this is because of the ABX or something else.

I do know Ehrlichia attacks one kind of blood cell (red or white cant remember) and Anaplasma attacks the other kind.

How do you treat Ehrlicha and Anaplasma?

Does anyone know if this is something I REALLY need to be concerned about? Like, can I leave my home? or will I get sick? [dizzy]

I know my levels are below normal, but how bad is this really?
I am so afraid I could be at as much risk as someone with advanced HIV or something. [Frown]

Does anyone else have this problem or know anything about this?!?

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dlp252
Member # 10711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dlp252     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, I really don't know. On my last blood work (in April), my lymphocytes were low. I know that's a type of white blood cell, and from what I looked up on the Internet, it suggested (at least in my case) a virus of some type or bacterial thing.

My regular duck didn't even mention it, so I guess she felt it wasn't anything to worry about.

I did show it to my LLMD...he really didn't say much either, but I think he was worried about other things with me.

Posts: 83 | From us | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My lymphocytes were low here as well, DUCK said they were suppose to be in the 800-1000 range and mine were in the 400. Not sure which lab he used...

I think it is caused by lyme/chronic infection

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up

Skyler, are you being treated yet for the hme/hge?

All my counts were within lab ranges, but sometimes at the top, others at the bottom.

I did some googling on hiv supplements to see what they recommended. I figured if I was that sick, the lab reports were not fully representative of my immune functioning.

Also, a search on here for immune supplements may provide some older discussions of what people have used.

Northstar

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hme/hge?

I do not know what that is. [confused]

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hme/hge are old names for anaplasmosis and ehrlichiosis. I forget which is which. I think they split off anaplasmosis and gave it a new category.

The hme is human monocyte ehrlichiosis.
The hge is human granulocyte ehrlichiosis.

One was changed to anaplasmosis.

Northstar

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much northstar!

I dont know, I am on rocephin IV 2 times a day 2mg. And a cyct busting abx.

How do you treat them?

I also have babs and have not started treatment for that yet.

Thank all of you for your input. I have been so freaked out. [bow]

Does anyone know what treatment for babs is?

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Mepron does a good job with babesia, there are alot alot of herbs out there that can wipe it out as well
luvdogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvdogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rocephin is known to drop the WBC. That is what happened to me when I had serum sickness. I do not know if that is the same with you. It is probably a side effect separate from the serum sickness. Mine was dangerously low (like around 2 or so), but I cannot remember now exactly what the number was.

As long as your doctor knows - I am sure he/she knows what is reasonable for rocephin.

Mine is actually pretty low now, in the aftermath of rifampin. My neutrophils are low and my WBC is 3.5.

I think that some of it has to do with our body combatting the multitude of broken up bugs.

Posts: 588 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notkrazybrian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notkrazybrian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my white blood count has been below normal to.. i asked my llmd he said it wasnt uncommon to see to an elevated white blood count or a low blood count. for whatever thats worth... brian
Posts: 217 | From Everywhere | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
schnuddelka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for schnuddelka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My WBC has been low as well. My new LLMD just told me that my low count is due to Ehrlichiosis. If we treat it properly, my immune system and WBC will go up.

Maybe something similar is going on with you...?

Good luck! [group hug] Schnuddelka

--------------------
When given lyme make lymeade!
A tick check a day keeps lyme away! [email protected]
Raising awareness by creating as many lymebassadors as possible!

Posts: 158 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting thread.

We just got back from local doc visit today. Hubby's blood counts are all excellent after a month of IV.

Skyler, how is the rocephin working for you? Is it helping your Lyme related problems?

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarjar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarjar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. C says that Low WBC is a red flag for Ehrlicha.
My WBC popped back up in the normal range after taking Ambrotose a glyconutrient.

Posts: 805 | From Utopia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all of you for your imput! I makes me feel better to hear I am probably not going to die from this, lol. I overthink everything.

I am doing pretty good on IV Rocephin. I herxed the whole first week of it, the 2nd week was less bad, but still bad (the 2 weeks before on IV once a day did not do anything to me but make me mildly tired). And now I have a 2 day break, and today I am feeling pretty amazing! I feel as good as my good days before starting treatment!
I feel awesome! lol. AWESOME! and that makes me very happy! [spinning smile] [woohoo]

I wish all of you the best of health! Thank you SO much for easing my mind! on thursday I am going to visit my doctor and we will discuss the low wbc count, but I am sure its just because of the rocephin. I have always had an imune system of steel (in the past), despite the lyme, go figure. I have never had the flu (and I have been around it quite a bit) and before this year I would never catch colds or anything. I think I will be ok.

Thanks again for the help!

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

dlp252
Member # 10711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dlp252     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're welcome and I'm so glad you are feeling so much better!!!
Posts: 83 | From us | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My white count last week was down to 2.3. My LLMD stopped me for a week, and when it was checked last the other day it was 3.2. That's the lowest it's been in a while, but it happens with antibiotic use (for me anyway). Maybe if you stop for a week, it will go up. It's not great for treatment purposes, but that's the way I could continue on the meds. I was on amoxycillin when it happened (1500 mg) a day, now she switched me to minocycline, 100 per day because it causes dizziness for me. I guess this disease isa trade off.

Be well,
LIP

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jblral
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jblral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An ND suggested my daughter take shark liver oil for low white blood cell count. She said to take it for 60 days. We did that--just got the blood work back. Her WBC is normal for the first time in ages. It will be interesting to see if that holds, or goes back down now that we're off the supplement.
Posts: 991 | From California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wbc count has been low since treating this disease. My llmd says it is very common, he sees it all the time. Hopefully when treatment is over your count will be back up.
Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

I had elevated eosinophils at one point with my chronic diarrhea, and the GI doc where I used to live put me on metronidazole 'on a hunch'. Which bug does that mean I have?

This did help my diarrhea, but after that, doctors sent me through a whole boatload of mazes all over again, only to eventually send me to yet another GI doc down the road - but by then, I was too far gone and my colon was mush.

I've been reading all sorts of things on here about ehrlichia and how it can be fatal, and how a 10 year old little girl died of it, and if you'd have seen me last year at this time, I know I didn't have much time left.

Had I continued on like that, I wouldn't have given myself even a month.

I was wondering though - have you ever had your antistriatal muscle antibodies and antiacetylcholine antibodies tested? My antiacetylcholine antibodies were okay, but my antistriatal muscle antibodies were 'equivocal' - the last acceptable high normal value.

Basically, I had started going autoimmune. Striatal muscle is smooth muscle. I'm guessing between my lung and colon issues, I had started to develop antibodies to 'self'.

Therefore, don't be dumb like I was and start taking echinacea which will only stimulate your immune system to attack you. I would make your first goal detox.

CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup- HGE & HME can cause low WBC!!!!

Sounds like you are doing okay now though!*)*)!!

Glad to read it*)*!)*)!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol B
Unregistered

I know my WBCs were down along with other stuff that was off-doc didn't seem too concerned about it-although I am taking a bunch of supplements to help support immune system.

I was freaked at first-Doc didn't get too concerned until WBC dropped to 2-right after I started IV Rocephin. Counts are coming back up although still a bit low.

I have been in treatment for a year and a half- my... where has the time gone? but just started IV rocephin in March along with pulsing Flagyl. Seems to be helping the most as far as over all sense of well-being. I am feeling encouraged.

Take Care,
Carol

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement