LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is this herx Mepron or Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this herx Mepron or Lyme?
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EWT1638     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to understand what is going on... Mepron 9 days, Zithro 16 days, Plaquenil 9 days. Dizzy, weak legs and arms (had to go down the stairs on my bum), NEED to lay down...tired but can't sleep much, nightmares, lost 7 lbs since I started. NO sweats, NO fever.

Blurred vision off/on, body is 'anxious', testy attitude. Milk, which I love, now hurts my stomach. But I can eat other diary (cheese, plain yogurt).

Over-worked myself yesterday cleaning for holiday coming up.

Is anything I'm taking working on the Lyme too? My LLMD said he wanted to wait on the Doxy for awhile.

--------------------
When you reach your "wits-end" remember this: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Posts: 397 | From Loudoun County Virginia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiz
Member # 10301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chiz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there

My 10 year old son started on mepron/art 13 days ago. He has not tested postive for babs but has relapsed twice on combo treatment for lyme. He has been on zith for 10 mths.

Ten days ago he started a major flare up of symptoms - the usual ones are headaches, stomach aches and severe leg weakness. In addition he has severe dizziness and nausea. He's never had resp/cardiac symptoms but has a low grade pyrexia and has been mildy clammy at night for the last 10 days.

I hope his reaction is due to the babesia "die off". Your response sounds similar. Incidently the zith will also cover borrelia.

Hope you feel better soon.

Posts: 67 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mepron is pretty rough stuff. You may want to ask your LLMD if it's OK to back off the meds a bit when things get too tough to handle.

I think Zith works on Lyme to some extent.

Be careful of eating too much dairy. It will activate the bad yeast in your gut, which can cause you REAL problems and could be contributing to your dizziness, irritability and gut problems.

Follow the anti-yeast diet as best you can!

Candida diet and elimination:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021412.html

http://www.wholeapproach.com/diet/

Lyme symptoms list compared with yeast symptoms
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021202.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dancer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD - top of field brilliant - feels that Mepron kills Lyme in addition to Babesia. All I know is, Mepron plus Zithro helped me alot! I felt lousy on it but good after....
Posts: 227 | From South of the North Pole | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I have over done it...first I have to recharge from that before I seem to be able to figure things out.

Same with herxing. it is usually after the fact that I realize I was herxing.

This is rocket science. [Smile]

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kam said,
quote:
Same with herxing. it is usually after the fact that I realize I was herxing.

I agree completely with Kam!

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi EWT,

My understanding from 2 llmds is that zith works on lyme; and plaquenil works as a cyst-buster (lyme again).

Sounds like it could be a mepron herx and a lyme herx. Those are some of the feelings that I got a week after starting malarone, which has the same active ingredient as mepron.

Hang in there! The good news is that if the mepron is affecting your sleep, it could get easier as you adjust to the treatment.

At least, that is what happened to me. After starting malarone, I had the same issues that you describe -- tired, but could not sleep much; nightmares and vivid dreams -- but sleep got back to normal after a few weeks on the malarone. Now I can take it before bedtime and sleep a solid night (when it is possible!). Best wishes.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EWT1638     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. It is nice to have people out there who can understand what you are going through. [group hug]

LLMD told me to up the flexeril, I'll give it a go tonight.

--------------------
When you reach your "wits-end" remember this: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Posts: 397 | From Loudoun County Virginia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter started on two tsp of Mepron daily. She really should've worked up to that. She had insomnia, hallucinations, depression, pain.

She is starting her fourth month. The deep tissue pain was so much we had to back off again.

It gets defeating, and it's hard to see the future of any kind of normalcy. We are hoping to see some light at the end of 7 months.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement