LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Good bart article and a pet saliva and bartonella question?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good bart article and a pet saliva and bartonella question?
Vanilla
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to this article bart is carried in cat and dog saliva.

I have been throwing a slobery tennis ball for my landlord's dog because he is tennis ball obessed. Can you catch bart from tossing a tennis ball for a dog? It looks like the author is saying you can below. Pets lick humans all the time too.

http://www.publichealthalert.org/AUG-page-1.html

I think this is the best article on Bart I have ever read.

"Cats and dogs carry this infection in their paws and saliva and scratch lick and bite you".

[ 02. July 2007, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Vanilla ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuLuFlorida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuLuFlorida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My vet told me that you can get Bart by getting bit by an infected flea or tick or by getting bit or scratched by a cat or dog. I would not think you could get Bart by throwing a ball with you neighbors dog unless you have a cut on you hand or any other way Bart could enter your system.

--------------------
"One day at a time"

Current:
-1.2 IM bicillin three times a week
-1.25 IV Vancomycin every day
-IV glutathione and IM B12
-Byron White since Jan. 2011
-ALA, Yasko protocal, Adapten-All, thyrosol, Pekano, phosphalipid exchange, probiotics, oregano...

Posts: 390 | From FLORIDA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

I hope not because I throw the tennis ball for the dog a lot. He is only 5 and over weight and needs the exercise. He literally chases me around with the tennis ball. If I open my car door a crack to drive away he puts his tennis ball in my car. When I wake up in the morning sometimes there is no dog to been seen but he will leave a tennis ball at the top of my stairs where they connect to my deck.

i did cut myself gardening yesterday and I was throwing the ball for him while gardening too.

I was badly bitten by fleas in a Holiday Inn Express that allowed pets in Mill Valley and I became rather ill. Of course the hotel claimed they had no fleas and so did their corporate office. I guess they only rent rooms to flea less pets a rare breed.

Nori
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the article will not display for me
can anyone - someone PLEASE post the whole article here.
Thanks

--------------------
Nori

Posts: 109 | From Virginia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeDACnow
Member # 4649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeDACnow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nori:
the article will not display for me
can anyone - someone PLEASE post the whole article here.
Thanks

Me neither! I'd really like to see it. I just posted a new topic on this very subject

I didn't see this until after!

Thanks

--------------------
"Courage is the mastery of fear-not the absence of it."-Mark Twain

Still trying hard to be brave...Deb

Posts: 82 | From Upstate NY | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is another good Bart article!!!
by Dr. Bruno Chomel!!!

http://tech.research.usf.edu/cm/pdf/Zoonotics/Bartonella_AVMA.pdf

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just thnking maybe to be on the safe side.....can you wear a rubber glove to throw the ball around?

I would be careful to wash my hands & not touch my face, nose or eyes while covered in doggie slubber.

There are other things like parasites & worms that can be tramsmitted I think threw doggie slobber. Specially if he was licking his tushie before a game of toss [Eek!]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energy2Heal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The proper link for the original article is :

http://www.publichealthalert.org/AUG-page-1.html

Here is a link to the full text-only version of the article in .pdf format:

http://www.publichealthalert.org/Bartonella.pdf

[ 02. July 2007, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: AndrewInCA ]

Posts: 443 | From The Wild West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

I need a special hazmat suit to be around this moose of a dog. I need to buy him a full body glove to wear as well. He follows me all around my yard and even into the garage. He loves to slobber on you and nudge you when ever possible and he is rather a big lab. The minute I get dressed to go any where he manages to slobber on me and my clothes on the way to my car.

He is a really nice dog but a slobber machine.

Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've betting my cat, Fozzie has bart, as he's got a chronic gum infection, and I just read the other post on here now that someone stated their cat tested highly positive for bart, and is on 4 weeks of zith. I'm hoping to get an inperson pow-wow with either my old vet (the moneygruber) or get in touch with my old dog vet, and see if I can wrangle up some zith abx for my ole cat and see if we can't knock his gum infection to it's knee's. I'll run the lyme in cats by this new/old vet if I get into see him, as I"m very curious now about bart being transmitted to human's.

I still haven't made my initial Stinson Beach run this summer, or late afternoon/evening hangout at Bovine, but I"m hoping to get it together this week to get up there, so maybe I'll see you? Maybe you can bring slobberpuss, and I'll get to throw that ball for him. I do love an affectionate dog!

[ 03. July 2007, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Just Julie ]

--------------------
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Julie,

How did you know ; - )

I do love the guide dog place in San Rafael and I love to see the dogs out and about and getting trained. My dad use to teach at the School for the Blind when it was still in Berkeley.

The dog is just a tad overly focused on the ball. Even when his owner is home he is over at my house hanging out with me and Jasmine the stray cat his owner took in. The cat owner has not gotten around yet to vet checking the cat even though I have asked them to and to get the pets both some Frontline. Of course they promised to do this and have not yet his week I am taking care of the herd of 2 while their parents are away.

I call the dog Chocolate Moose because he has a giant moose head. He is very good natured and always in a good mood.

Let me know if you need vet help with that RX because I know one in the East Bay that I just had his dad forward him an article on bart this morning. The vet did not know that there was very much lyme disease in CA so I am trying to educate him. He works in the Bay Area a lot but grew up on the east Coast.

The weather has been nice out here lately. I hope you make it out this summer.

Vanilla

Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this will teach me never to read a PM before a thread that I posted on!

Disregard my confused sounding PM, I get it now!

Moose boy sounds like a lover dog . . . I do adore a sweet faced chocolate lab. I adore just about any dog. My neigbhor who lives up the street from me just walked by with Elvis. No, not the old man who sang, but his sweet black rottie mix who walks with him---got my dog love while out getting my mail from my mailbox [Wink]

My Fozzie cat is not having a flare up of his gum problem, I"m waiting until he's giving me signals before I have to decide on what to do with my vet "problem" aka which one do I go to next, old one who is ka-chinging me, or old vet who used to treat my dogs so well. Old dog vet is farther from my house, moneygruber is less than 30 seconds from my house, down the street.

Wondering, though, would I be able to get a 4 week rx of zith from your vet without a visit? I'd LOVE that. Being a nurse, I know how to give meds, how much, etc, etc. I'm even up on my experience with giving old Fozzie boy cat shots. Now, that was a learning curve I wished I didn't have to go thru, but it was fine after his first injection, and I actually prefer giving injections than making sure he's in the mood to take his oral abx that he's getting in a cat treat.

The push is on for getting to Stinson either end of this week, or first of next---holiday messes up this week, but Friday may just happen.

Anywho,

--------------------
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well I am not doing the happy dance to hear that Frontline only works for 2 weeks . . . not happy at all. I go about 4-5 weeks on my 2 outside only kitty catters, and the one who is a bit more of a wild cat is very hard to Frontline. I told him (ha ha) that he/she (not sure, no hangy balls that I can determine) will definitely NOT be eating my good kitty chow if he/she does not let me Frontline him. I refuse to perpetrate known tick drop offs in my carefully chain-linked immediate backyard fence enclosure . . . while loving the bambi like presence of yet another deer in repose this afternoon (we've got a nice acre of oak trees that line our hillside) I swear I will get my hide into concrete jungle land so I can relax the rest of my life!!! Just gotta propel the youngest out of the nest before I can ejaculate outta here.

That doesn't sound quite right does it? Ejaculate. lol.

Good to hear you like your chocolate, vanilla. I just polished off some Ciao Bella mango gelato and am feeling mighty satisfied at the moment.

Might be meeting up in the near future! I chafe a bit around the bit when I hear about negligent/ignorant animal owners. Sorry to hear of your landlords not "getting it". Sounding a bit like that old west Marin attitude. Hippy, but a bit dippy? [Wink]
I was a hippie in my other life, forgot to add. The one that had no ticks, and no lyme in it.

[ 03. July 2007, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Just Julie ]

--------------------
Julie

Vanilla
Unregistered

Yep the ignorance gets really old fast.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement