LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cracks in corner of my mouth that come & go

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cracks in corner of my mouth that come & go
lymebytes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get painful cracks in the corner of my mouth that come and go. Nothing works on them really, I have used neosporin, vaseline, chapstick, everything.

I did mix a little golden seal powder w/Vaseline and this does heal it - but only temporarily.

Does anyone else get this or know the cause. I never had this ever until around the time I started Biaxin. But I don't know if the antibiotic or disease or viruses issues may be the cause.

Anyone else?

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to get those.

I've heard a couple things ... gluten intolerance can apparently cause it (I am gluten intolerant) ... so can vitamin deficiency (I believe it's vitamin A, but you might want to Google to be sure).

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! At least I have a start now, very interesting.

When did yours go away, do you remember what meds you were on and why they stopped? Was it after you leared of your gluten intolerance?

Take care.

--------------------

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only had them as an adolescent, they went away on their own ... if something changed, it wasn't intentional.

I'm thinking it's more likely that I just had a shift in symptoms as I got older. I did have Lyme at the time, but didn't know it.

I also didn't know I was gluten intolerant at the time either.

I do not have celiac disease and my GI issues only show up when I'm having a Lyme flare, so I'm hoping with treatment of the Lyme that the gluten intolerance will go away. It sure seems like the Lyme is causing it.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dlp252
Member # 10711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dlp252     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, this used to happen to me as well. Hasn't happened in a while though, and I too am gluten intolerant and following a gluten-free diet.
Posts: 83 | From us | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dancer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had those occasionally before Lyme treatment, and also I was utterly dependent on lip balm, my lips were SO dry and my mouth too. And my eyes. At some point in my Lyme treatment the cracks stopped and normal saliva levels came back.

My LLMD had brought up the cracks question at my first appointment. I googled around and found that it can be associated with Sjogren's syndrome, which some Lyme patients get. I think I googled "cracks corner of mouth" or something like that.

Hope that helps!

Posts: 227 | From South of the North Pole | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cracks in the corners of your mouth are caused by a B2 (Riboflavin) and B6 (pyridoxine) deficiency. I'd take a B complex, as B's work much better as a whole team. Google for B vitamins and mouth cracks. I'm only finding info on sites selling something, so won't add links here.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dlp252
Member # 10711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dlp252     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I AM taking a B complex now too, so maybe that's why I haven't had any in a while.
Posts: 83 | From us | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just had an appointment with my daughter at our llmd. The cracks on the sides of her mouth came up......She has gotten these off and on for years.

Now, our llmd is not a "lyme causes everything" kind of doc, but he was pretty adament that these suckers are lyme related and that he sees them clear up completely with treatment.

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiz
Member # 10301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chiz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like HSV to me (herpes simplex virus or common cold sore). I often get cracks or fissures at the angle of my mouth rather than a proper cold sore.

More likely if your immune system is run down.

Posts: 67 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had them related to yeast. Upped my probiotic and they went away.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to get them from B vitamin deficiency, and then would get secondary infections in them from either yeast or bacteria.

I had to use triple antibiotic or nystatin until I found the underlying cause of B deficiency, which then had an underlying cause in itself.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to get these pretty bad - they took forever to heal, too.

I'm not sure what is fixing them, but I do know I no longer eat any grains, red meat, eggs, or milk whatsoever. I was SEVERELY gluten intolerant and intolerant of many foods, including those high in iron, though eggs were the only ones I actually tested positive for as far as allergies go.

I'm thinking this iron issue is related to babesia somehow, though I don't truthfully know.

It could possibly be from a B vitamin deficiency, too, as my diet change probably increased those, too. But start with food allergies.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had those painful cracks off and on ever since I became ill. I have also read that they are due to either a deficiency of vitamin B2, or to yeast overgrowth, both of which are common in Lyme.

I take mega-doses of B Complex and test negative for gluten intolerance, with no sx of it either. I also take large doses of Probiotics, and always have.

I think it is Lyme related, since the very first time I had the problem was when I first came down with this illness. My mouth corner cracks were so severe at the onset of Lyme that they actually left small scars that I still have to this day.

I find Blistex to be the only thing that really helps the pain and helps heal them. Vaseline seems to make them worse, for some reason. If you try the Blistex, I suggest buying the tube form, not the stick. The sticks have padimate in them, a sunscreen (PABA) which can cause horrible burning allergic reactions. I found this out the hard way.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had these and they responded to B Complex. Orals taken over three month did not help. IM B Complex cleared them up overnight. As I continue in treatment, they seem to occur less readily.

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Thank you very much for all your responses.
I do take an oral Super B Complex and I do b12 injections. I wonder how bad they would be without the vitamin B.

I noticed when I go through "good stages" they go away, when I cycle and go through the 4-6 week flare up they come back.

Hopefully they will resolve in treatment as well.

--------------------

David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B12 injections did not help with the cracking at the corner of the mouth. They do clear up ulcers inside my mouth and stinging tongue. It was Vitamin B COMPLEX that does it. It was off the market for a while and had to be compounded but now is back. It'scalled B-Plex 100 and is branded Merit Pharmaceuticals located in LA. An independent pharmacy should be able to get it.

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Thanks David, how interesting. Yeah, I get the compounded version (very strong B12) so I can ask my LLMD about the ordering the B complex injectable. How often do you do the shots?

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement