LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does anyone have experience of Ivermectin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anyone have experience of Ivermectin?
ChrisBtheLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8916

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisBtheLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD is trying me on a new reigme which Dr. H from Texas has made.
It includes:
Penicillin
Azithromycin
Ivermectin

My LLMD said him and Dr. H and a few others have been looking at the blood of Lyme and CFS patients, they have found Herpes, CPn, fungus and worms to be common - apparently Dr. H has had good success with this regime and has seen dramatic improvements in less than 4 weeks - even with people who have been on IV antibiotics, etc.

I was wondering if anyone here has been on a similar regime with Ivermectin?

I am very, very nervous because I think it is an unlicenced medicine here in the UK and it needs to be bought on a named-patient basis. I am sure my GP will think I am crazy because I think this is usually used on animals!

Posts: 263 | From UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8man12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never heard of it in humans,in dogs,for heart worm.Sounds kinda odd.
Posts: 510 | From NEVERLAND.USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisBtheLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8916

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisBtheLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, I had never heard of it either. After googling it, it seems it is very effective against parasites and scabies in humans.
I am worried about taking it. [Frown]

Posts: 263 | From UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally know someone who takes it for Morgellons. She also has Lyme.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to google it, too.

Interesting...

Chris, is this to be something taken for a short time or over a long haul?

Sorry, I don't know anything, at all, about it but what I just read. I hope someone with actual experience happens by.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hanginginthere
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hanginginthere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on the regime...sent you a pm!
Posts: 136 | From North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nellypointis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nellypointis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris, (I am re-posting here my reply to you on EuroLyme)

Yes, parasites of all types can play a part in the chronicity of our infections.

I am trying to cycle through various antiparasitic meds (flubendazole which caused my system to throw brand new crops of rashes (see in the photo files of EuroLyme, Nelly's rashes http://health.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/EuroLyme/photos/browse/efa3 , albendazole which I could only take for 2 days and my head exploded + felt really bad with a return of some very old symptoms.

I have ivermectin in my med drawer, but I haven't taken it yet. My husband did take it and we are not sure whether this is related to him getting VERY BAD sciatica (rolling on the floor in pain, getting very slowly better after several months).

In summary, I think when you take antiparasitic treatment you'll get a dose of whatever the parasites you are carrying will release upon dying.

My reasoning: we should be aware of this and make sure we're on the right abx to attack whatever bacteria etc which are going to start to re-circulate. Fun!

Nelly

Posts: 416 | From france | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 5 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you get rashes?

I ask because my CDC positive Lymie husband gets these skin things that look like large red moles, but the also look as if they have a pimple in the center. You can't pop them as you would a pimple.

These nasty looking things are all over his arms, legs, and torso.

He also gets creepy "There's something crawling on my back! (or arm or leg)" sensations. I never see anything, but wonder if it's neuropathy or Morgellons.

Do you know what dose & route is recommended for the ivermectin?

Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8man12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For years i felt like bugs under my skin,arms,legs,forehead,you name it.Dont have it much now.It seemed to go away when i started the oil of oregano,mixed with grapefruitseed extract.
Posts: 510 | From NEVERLAND.USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience,,,it IS a very effective animal drug for parasites.(different forms for pigs,AND cows,,,so whats the 'proper' form for humans,,I dont know!!)

While using it,,its almost impossible to NOT get your hands full of it. It IS high alcohol or some such thing cause it burns a bit to the animals,they dont like it.

Doesnt burn MY hands BUT I do feel pretty sick the next day,,,and let me tell ya,,not much makes me sick at all,,,like I have cast iron innards!!

I have 'heard' of using this for humans,,,but know NOTHING about that!! What form of it do people use?? It also comes in injectable or the more popular pour on.

More info PLEASE!!!??? since still--just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisBtheLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8916

There is some great info on the NIH website about Ivermectin for humans here: http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?id=4884

It has been used on literally millions of people in Asia and Africa, etc to treat filarial worm infections, including river blindess.

More info and studies:
http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecfa/jecmono/v31je03.htm
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=74641
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=74633
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1988522&dopt=AbstractPlus

I am still VERY nervous about taking it, because it is not even licenced here in the UK and it needs to be got on a named-patient basis.

caat
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used it. My insurance wouldn't pay for it and as the ivermectin marketed for humans is well over 10 times the cost of ivermectin for horses I went to the feed store.

I was told by someone that the stuff used for horses can separate so I was sure to mix the entire tube very well in a tupperware container.

Then I was VERY careful calculating and measuring out the right dose for myself. Did all the calculations 3 times to make sure. There was enough in the horse tube to put me in a coma a couple times over I think... Someone with no common sense could kill themselves with this stuff...

I had no problems with the stuff. I did the hookworm dose for 4 days I think. I forget what it was, I found the dose by googling and triple checked all information.

Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, microfilarial worms were found in the tickgut in the 80's and they are found very commonly now. So it may be as Nelly says. Perhaps the parasites house bacteria, you kill the parasites and you need an antibiotic on hand too.

Still, that sounds like a strange medication regime, and how do those 3 drugs interact?

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 5 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does anyone sleep?

I took 2 ambien 10 mg each and still nothing. Am drinking a soothing cup of herbal tea instead of liquor.

Any help would be greatly appreicated.

aklnwlf

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6166 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement