LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Lyme?
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have just been diagnosed with Hashimoto's, which my LLMD feels is common in people with chronic infections.

Am now taking thyroid meds, but am also wondering if this is something that will resolve, once the Lyme and co's are in remission, or if this is a permanent fixture in my life?

Anyone else with this problem?

Thanks,
Cactus

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi cactus - from what I've been told, thyroid disease is a permanent condition.

I was diagnosed in my early 20's. It is the main reason my LLMD thinks I got Lyme during childhood rather than 4 years ago when I got a tick bite.

I take Armour thyroid, 120 mg, each day. I've been on thyroid meds for nearly 20 years.

I have a son with Down syndrome. His pediatrician asked me if I have thyroid disease and I told her yes. She said she sees the connection between the two all the time.

It hurts to know that I probably caused my son to have Down's out of ignorance. He is also autistic. It sounds awful, but I don't dare get him tested for Lyme because emotionally I don't know if I can handle it. He seems very healthy, but mentally is severely handicapped.

That's my thyroiditis story.

Lymelady

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the other poster said, I've also heard that Hashimoto's is permanent. It's also a disease, while hypothyroidism itself is only a condition. I have hypothyroidism, but not Hashimoto's.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Lymelady and disturbed, for sharing your experiences with this.

It would be so nice to think this will resolve with lyme treatment, but it sounds like the damage has already been done.

Lymelady, I can understand your feelings about getting your son tested for Lyme - it would frighten me, too. You have a lot on your plate.

I'm not familiar with Armour thyroid - is that an Rx? I'm taking the generic of Synthroid right now.

My LLMD also believes I contracted Lyme in my childhood, and was not diagnosed for 20+ years - although this has just developed, 2 years into treatment.

Healthy wishes to you both,
Cactus

--------------------

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cactus:

I'm not familiar with Armour thyroid - is that an Rx? I'm taking the generic of Synthroid right now.

Armour is an Rx, yes, but is not well known to a lot of people because many doctors don't like it and don't believe in it. The reason they don't like it is because it's actually desiccated natural thyroid from pig. There's a bunch of other reasons they promote the synthetic stuff (Synthroid, Levothyroxine, etc.) over the real stuff, but it gets kind of complicated.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thyroid problems are just like diabetes; once we're diagnosed w/them, WE HAVE THEM FOR A LIFETIME! [Frown]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A doctor told me that hypothyroid does not necessarily equal Hashimoto's. Not sure if he was considering the angle of thyroid autoantibodies, which is also common in lymies. I wish that someone was testing before and after successful treatment to see if the autoantibodies disappear.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Hashimoto's, I take the generic to synthriod for it.

It's funny too, cuz when I first went on doxy back in 2001 I had the most horrible pain in my thyriod gland, it was herx. I guess I was finally getting all those bugs killed in my gland.

Yeah, my body was attacking my own thyriod gland what a bunch of baloney...

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lorima
Member # 11925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lorima     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dr's office nurse just called today and said I am hypothyroid, they're calling in a prescription for lev...and I should take one a day. Would like to discuss this a little more with my dr., but I bet that's all she knows. Thank goodness for the internet.
I was diagnosed with lyme about 2 months ago, have been on 400 mg doxy since. I have had stiff neck and swollen lymph node for years - maybe related to thyroid, maybe not?
Well, maybe this will give me some more energy, that would be nice.

Posts: 74 | From MA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also, my 2nd llmd said i have hashimoto.

i was underactive thyroid; apparently went to OVERactive thyroid creating hashimoto!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

At least it looks like we're all in good company!

I think my own Hashimoto's dx came from the presence of thyroid auto-antibodies, I'll have to double check to be sure. I would guess that my thyroid is low since doc has me on synthroid.

Have noticed an increase in energy thus far, so there's a positive to all this thyroid stuff. [Smile]

Is there anything we should be watching out for, or are there any other problems that can arise as a result of Hashimoto's or thyroid problems?

--------------------

neardeath
Member # 7099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for neardeath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my thyroid was removed in 7 2005 2 years ago.

lymes symptoms started in 7 2004

i have had nothing but problems since my thyroid was removed and put on synthroid

trying to get a doctor that will give me armour and or T3 not just syntetic synthroid.

Synthroid is useless unless you body converts it to T3.

armour isn't used because docs are taught not to use it.

it contains T2, T1, T3 and T4 all essential hormones that need to be replaced

--------------------
neardeath

Posts: 18 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy S
Member # 11246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still lacking a Lyme dx - but I can comment on the Hashimoto's. When I was 24 I was diagnosed with Grave's disease when my mother thought my neck looked swollen. It was overactive. After 3 - 4 years of up and down levels they found nodules and decided to remove 80 % of my thyroid. After removing it they said it was Hashimoto's - and this was visible to the surgeon because of the overabundance of blood vessels built up around my thyroid - he said that is a telltale sign of Hashimoto's. They never really said if the Grave's was a mistake, if it was both, or whatever. In the end, I take synthroid 125 mcg daily. As long as I take it faithfully, have no problems. You need to remember to take it the same time every day on an empty stomach. Also make sure you take a calcium supplement because synthetic hormones can wreak havoc on your bones.

--------------------
Tracy

Posts: 24 | From NE PA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement