LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » First time poison ivy--help!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First time poison ivy--help!!!!
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally had my phone line fixed today.

Eleven days of no internet.....No fun.

During this time, while cleaning out some vines by the fence,

I have contracted poison ivy. I have never, ever been allergic to this before.

All I can surmise is that the valcyte or Lyme or both have made me vunerable to things

That have Never bothered me before.

Problem is this. My LLMD is out of town. His PA has not called me back.

I am covered in itchy, itchy blisters.

Have tried calamine lotion, homeopathic medicines and more.

Any advice or suggestions are really appreciated.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Geneal, I feel for you!

i am horribly sensitive to poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac, you name it!

An "ocean of Calamine lotion" never did anything for me.

Soaks in "Domeboro" astringent solution helped dry the stuff up. However, a newer product called "tecnu" removes the oils which seem to hide and travel on clothing, doorknobs, pillows, dog fur, etc.

My bottle of "tecnu" came with another bottle of "calagel" which is hydrocortisone-free.

I laughed when I read that Tecnu was developed in 1961, as a waterless cleanser capable of removing radioactive dust from skin and clothing. Now it is standard issue...

Dry the stuff up any way you can. Be patient and avoid the suggestion of cortisone. [Eek!] I had to avoid cortisone when I was covered with bumps and six months pregnant! Domeboro and Tecnu rescued me!

Best of luck.

Fondness your way,

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh how horrible! So sorry you are suffering this way.

Can you take OTC benadryl till you catch up with your LLMD?

Everyone in my house (except for me & the three year old, knock on wood) is suffering the same as you - and it is not fun.

We've got a compounding pharmacy nearby that makes a great "anti-itch" cream - from what I've seen it increases the itch/burn for just a few moments & then it helps tremendously. Do you have any good compounding pharmacies near you?

If not, I'll try to find out the ingredients and pm you. Our pharmacy may ship, if you're really desperate, too.

Our teenager is walking around with tube socks over his arms - he seems to think a covering helps the itch, too.

Hoping you feel better soon...

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wchun
Member # 11957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wchun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zanfel is in CVS. It will save your life.

google it

--------------------
IT'S ME!
HEATHERKISS
 -

Posts: 22 | From lap | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zanfel! Zanfel! Zanfel!

A few years ago my daughter had a horrible case. We had tried everything and were even starting to consider steroids. I finally read something about Zanfel and with one application my daughter's misery finally ended.

Poison oak/ivy has urshiol (sp?), a poison that hooks into the skin. Zanfel has little beads that help remove the poison and then treats the irritation. My husband recommended it to the crews that work in the canyons at his work and one of the men told him later that it saved his job. He was ready to quit!

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had hives,,,BIG raised very itchy stuff,,,not poison ivy but actually worse,,,allergic reaction to a med.

Anyway the ducks gave me this magic lotion that they said would clear that right up. Every other minute applying it,,,I was loosing my mind.

Said cant be much worse to try other stuff. BY FAR,,,,the best result was baking soda,,,yep good ole baking soda,,,arm and hammer.

I took a wet wash cloth,,,heaped as much as I could get on it. Apply as thick as I could dabing on spots. dampness made sorta a paste that stuck,sorta. Thats what you want,,,it to stick to you.

Can take a bath in it too that helps.

MIGHT be good idea to identify exactly what it was. Dont you have poison oak down there?? Around here its getting terrible. THAT stuff is 5 times worse than any old poison ivy!!!

Remember OLD saying,,,''"""Leaves of three,,let it be!!!""" PLUS poison oak or ivy has VERY shiny leaves.

Anything you come into contact with will transfer the oil to it too,,,sorta like a greasy fingerprint,,,travels wherever you go!!And then you start all over!!!sad for you--just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joelolson
Member # 12460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joelolson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about the itch.
I've been there done that.
This I can help with.
Poison Ivy is bound by the laws of nature, where the curplet and cure lie close togeather.
Your from the south I think so look for a soft fleshy plant with yellow or orange blooms. We call them trout lillies but botanilicly they are a north american impaitens plant. Native americans knew that both plants grew togeather a sort of yin-yeng thing. crush the fleshy leaves and stems and pat on the sap. It sort of feels like aloe vera but there is a compound in the sap that neurtizes the toxin. wrap the blisters in toilet paper and change the dressing frequently. Good luck.
Maybe the herb called cats claw is my silver bullet for lyme.
Joe

Posts: 6 | From LaCrosse WI | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my, sorry you have the itchy awful blisters, Geneal. Eesh! I'm glad you've got some good suggestions I hope some of them work for you.

My first thought was benedryl and I remember as a kid people using brown soap. (Darned if I know what brown soap was/is. I think it was supposed to keep it from spreading.)

I also have not been allergic to pioson ivy in the past.

I saw on the news the other day that, lately, poison ivy has gotten much stronger, and more prevalent and contagious.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry you've got bad poison ivy. It's horrible! I have also had the blisters from head to toe, nightmare.

You've gotten good advice. Hope it goes soon.

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been there before myself with poison oak - sorry you are going through it.

Rub the inside of a banana peel on it to sooth it when it itches and by some Hyland's homeopathic tabs for poison oak and ivy and take them every time it starts to itch. It will clear up in no time.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I did get some zanfel yesterday. It works, but only for about 2-3 hours.

I am taking benadryl too. Added baking soda to the bath also.

Since my LLMD is out of country, I was advised (last week) to go to GP.

I guess to make sure it is poison ivy. It is.

She wanted to give me a shot of cortisone-No thanks.

She said it appears to be systemmic and wants to put me on prednisone. No thanks.

I am going to try the banana peel this am.

I am concerned as I am already on low dosage of cortef for adrenal function,

And valcyte for CMV. My neighbor said (RN with lyme)

That these itchy blisters everywhere are a sign of my immune system responding.

She also mentioned that I would probably be covered head to toe if not for the valcyte.

Never thought of it that way.

I am pretty sure it is poison ivy. I never really paid any attention to it,

As I never have been allergic to it. I lost a pin to our fence and was digging through

Tons of vines, etc to find it. Now I know I am allergic to it and see it everywhere

Here on the property. Off to get some Round-up today and spray, spray, spray.

I am going to call LLMD's office this am and ask again for some advice as well.

Thank you guys so much.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Joe,

Most places the flower you are talking about is called jewelweed or touch-me-not (because the seedpods burst to disburse the seeds).

A Google Images search turns up a lot of pictures, so anyone can learn to identify it.

I used to use this immediately if I was out in the woods and was exposed to poison ivy. Tecno is also not bad for helping prevent infection, but not any good for after you have it. Worked pretty well. And you want to be careful taking off your shirt, or nuzzling pets that may have urushiol on their fur.

And BTW, the rash is NOT contagious! It is just the histamine reaction to infection, not urushiol itself. It may take a few days for all the reaction to manifest, is all.

Benadryl liquid internally helps the inflammation and can take the edge off the itch, but can make you drowsy (and might not be good in combination with other meds), so be careful. There are also some fairly new products out there, so check at the pharmacy. But you probably want to stay away from anything with steroids, so ask your pharmacist.

-- Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
listenswithcare
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for listenswithcare     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi - sorry to hear of your misery.

The product I have for poison ivy is BFI powder. It is not readily available at regular drug stores, though. Usually speciality drug stores, or Mom and Pop stores will carry it. It is a very old product. Evidently, it was something soldiers would carry and use in the field. I'm sure you could find it if you called around first.

I have used Jewelweed before also, but usually as a preventative after I know I was near the poison ivy. You can rub it on your skin (the plant, I use the stems as they can be juicy) where you think you might have been exposed. Works great that way.

I hope you get relief. Wish doctors didn't push cortisone so much!

Robin

Posts: 276 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just for in the future, there is Poison Oak Soap which washes off the allergic oils if you touch poison aok. We hike a lot and my older daughter is very allergic so we always have a bar of it. You can find it around here at any health food store!!!

Also, anyone with it on their property trying to get rid of it- DO NOT BURN it because the smokoe will cause same reaction to lungs!!! So be careful!!!

Hugs to you, Geneal!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

You know we have been burning dead pine trees for days prior to me breaking out.

Inhalation equals systemmic attack.

I am sure there was poison ivy in the bunch.

It was my job to keep the fire going.

Much smoke, much inhalation.....

I think I will pass on this job in the future.

I feel kind of stupid about this, but I have never, ever had poison ivy before.

I mean I could roll around in the stuff and not have a problem.

I guess those days are over.

Hugs,

Geneal

wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought of one other thing!

Swimming in the ocean helped dry the blisters significantly! Had vacation at Cape Cod that year and the ocean was the best medicine!

Itchy Hugs,

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geneal,

My daughter's case was pretty bad. She did have to scrub with the Zanfel a couple of times. So, if it is giving you relief, use it again when when you start to itch to get up all of the poison.

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear about the poison ivy! That sounds so miserable!

I wouldn't personally be to worried about using cortisone cream. (This is from somebody who is pretty consevative with prescriptions!)

If your adrenals are low and not producing enough cortsone to deal with the toxin and inflammation, they might need a little help from the outside, with the same substance that your body would be making in abundance anyway, if it could.

I sure would stay away from high dose predisone or cortisone shots, though!

I'd also ask my doctor about taking a little extra oral cortef to handle the assault fromt he toxin and inflammation, if he gets back soon.

Low natural cortisol/hydrocortizone levels may be behind the severe allergic reaction to begin with.

Another thought is to take ibuprophen. It can help reduce the pain and inflammation.

Good luck with getting some relief! I hope you feel much much better soon!

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Geneal,

Two of my boys had poison ivy recently...it left scars. Neither have had scars with this before. ...must be because of the Lyme

The LLMD said I should try Zanfel next time they get it.

Let us know if it works.

Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Hyland's Poison Ivy/Oak -

this product really works - it will cut your case of poison ivy in half and stop the itching and start the healing right away. You can find it on-line for less then $4.00. I have no connection with Hylands.

Everyone should keep this product in their natural medicine cabinet at all times

Description
Natural relief for itching, burning and crusting skin due to exposure to Poison Ivy or Oak

Hyland's Poison Ivy/Oak Tablets are a traditional homeopathic formula for the relief of symptoms after contact with poison ivy or oak. Skin breaks out with red, swollen, intensely itching, burning, watery blisters sometimes followed by oozing or crusting. Hyland's Poison Ivy/Oak is safe for adults and children and can be used in conjunction with other medications.

Ingredients: Rhus toxicodendron 6X, HPUs......red, swollen eruptions with itching
Croton tiglium 6X HPUs.......itching, oozing eruptions
Xerophyllum 6X HPUs.......itching, stinging, burning inflammations

Directions
Adults: Dissolve 2-3 tablets in mouth every 2 hours as needed, then 4 times per day.
Children 6 to 12 years old: 1/2 adult dose.

Geneal
Member # 10375

Thanks everyone.

My LLMD's physician assistant finally called back today.

Said if my case was severe enough to go ahead with the prednisone.

No thanks!!!!!! I'd rather itch forever than possibly back track at all with Lyme.

Did fairly well today. Took a claritan and that helped a lot.

Then tonight I noticed new spots. I think as I was cleaning out my Pot Belly Pigs pool,

I may have pulled the hose through some poison ivy.

Not thinking I had the hose under my sleeveless arm.

That is where the new spots are.

Washed with zanfel. They stopped itching.

Also saw that hitting the blisters with hot, hot water will help too.

A blow dryer as well.

It itches like crazy when you first hit those blisters with hot water,

But then the itch goes away.

I can see that my LLMD's PA needs a little more time studying Lyme disease.

All prednisone does is lower your body's immune system, thus preventing the blisters/itching.

It does not cure poison ivy.

Hugs,

Geneal

Vanilla
Unregistered

When you already have it you can get new spots from itching and also from it just being in your blood already.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement