LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Help with daughter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with daughter
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Briefly: my 15 yr old is dx'd lyme and has a positive bartonella test, too. Most likely also has babs (air hunger, etc.)

She was started on 1000mgs of tetracycline and we have now bumped it to 1500mgs.

She is constantly nauseated and has vomitted twice. Instructions say to take the abx on an empty stomach.

I have a call into the doc, but I was wondering if anyone dealt with this and how????

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure it says to take on empty stomach>?

It sounds like side effect not Herxing- Doxy used to make me vomit so I always took it with starchy food!!!

Maybe switch abx!??@!!???
Best wishes,
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sojourner,

Tetracycline can be hard on the stomach for some to take. Call your doctor and let him/her know she is having a hard time.

My son and I had to take all our abx with food.

I hope she feels better soon.

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sparrow
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sparrow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if you know this, but you can get phenergan that is compounded into a cream that you rub on the abdomen to help with nausea. You do need a script for that. It is easier than a pill when you are nauseated. If your daughter is like mine, she would rather be beaten than use a suppository.
Posts: 177 | From God's Grace | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sparrow
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sparrow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if you know this, but you can get phenergan that is compounded into a cream that you rub on the abdomen to help with nausea. You do need a script for that. It is easier than a pill when you are nauseated. If your daughter is like mine, she would rather be beaten than use a suppository.
Posts: 177 | From God's Grace | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nancyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nancyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 10 year old daughter (95 pounds) is being treated for bartonella and she is taking 250mg of Azithromycin and 300mg of Rifampin.

She couldn't take any tetracyclines because of the teeth staining problem in children.

After just 8 weeks of treatment she was 75% better after being untreated for 3+ years.

Just FYI in case a change in meds may help.

It's so hard to see our children suffer any more with this.

--------------------
The Canadian Lyme Disease Foundation www.canlyme.com

Posts: 128 | From Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
see this also, natl. institutude of health's medical library.....trtracycline

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a682098.html

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've NEVER taken ANY abx without food. No way. Call the dr and ask if she can take it with food.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks a bunch. She threw up twice today even hours after upchucking the first dose of the day.

Right now no more tet for her. Doc said to stop for a week and we'll figure out what to do then. I'm kinda thinking a change in meds might be in order...........I don't know----she was starting to have some pretty strong psych herxes going on. Whoa is us..........LYME S*CKS! It is so hard to see your child suffer.

Thanks to all, as usual!

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear your daughter is ill. Having nausea is the worst feeling!! I agree with the others, she just may have to take it with food.

Or change meds.

Take care.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tanzi2u
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tanzi2u     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our instructions were to take tetra on an empty stomach, wait 20 min, then eat...something with protein if possible - but no milk for an hour or 2 around the tetra. She ate a lot of eggs for breakfast.

It took 2 weeks for the nausea and dry heaves to subside, and after that time period, she could tolerate it pretty well.

It took several months before the ongoing gut pain went away - but she had had that for over 6 months before she started on the tetra. She is now off tetra, and still no gut pain. [Smile]

Posts: 115 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If she is herxing on it I wouldn't necessarily switch.

I know they always say take it without food but I always took doxy with a meal, no calcium rich foods, and I did well on it.

Doxy is one of the meds that works well for killing whatever soup of tbis I have, so I stuck with it....in addition to other meds.

--------------------
�Pride is concerned with who is right. Humility is concerned with what is right.� - Ezre Taft Benson

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bless her heart. So sorry to hear she is having this problem.

Solution...

I'm with Lyme tutu on this one! BIG TIME!!!

NEVER.. and I don't care who says to do it..

NEVER take antibiotics on an empty stomach!!

They tell you to take it on an empty stomach so it is absorbed a little better.. BUT... if your gut is flipping out.. NOTHING will be absorbed!!!

And if taken with food... you MAY see a .2 percent reduction in absorption.. or no reduction.. or even a ten percent reduction.

But so WHAT?

That itty bitty amount isn't even close to being compared to the harm the antibiotics can do to a persons gut and whole well-being. OUCH and OUCH again!

And normally I don't disagree with a doctor.. but on this topic.. I will.

NEVER NEVER NEVER take meds on an empty stomach.

But always take your doctor's advise.. and you need to know I am not a doctor.. this is only my opinion.

They MAKE me say that stupid opinion stuff, ya know!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement