LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » My Liver Is Not Liking Abx

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Liver Is Not Liking Abx
skimpbiz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4433

Icon 9 posted      Profile for skimpbiz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everybody,

I've had lyme symptoms for eight years and was diagnosed roughly four years ago with Chronic Lyme. I've had 3.5 years of treatment, basically pulsed antibiotics, on again off again during this time.

Recently, after 3 months off abx, my llmd prescribed me ketek for a relapse, as I had successfully taken that for almost a year about 2-3 years ago. Yes, he and I both know of the ketek warnings, but it had worked for me in the past.

Anyway, last Sunday I started having a low grade fever and abdominal pain on the ketek, so I called my llmd on Monday and he told me to get off the ketek, take a day off and start Tindamax. I've done that and here I am the following Sunday experiencing pain in my liver area.

What have I done? What should I do now? What if I can't take abx anymore? Am I screwed?

Posts: 173 | From Lakeland, FL 33813 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had some pretty severe liver problems with this disease - so bad so that after only one week of IV Rocephin, I had to stop infusions for three weeks because my liver enzymes went through the roof with a bacterial load from hell.

Back in my 30's already, my liver was looking 'granular'. This was discovered during a diagnostic laparoscopy. So don't rely too heavily on normal liver function tests to assess how your liver is functioning - technically, the values should be 'zero' in a non-toxic world, so if they are anywhere above mid-value, I now have learned to take note and do something.

I even had a 2mm liver lesion at one point, did one of Hulda Clark's Gallbladder Liver Cleanses, and it resolved - so you might want to try that.

http://www.curezone.com/cleanse/liver/

I have had to take breaks with my antibiotics - to pulse them - I can tell you that much - especially when restarting an antibiotic that I have not been on in a while. Or even a new antibiotic - I found that out recently with Larium for babs.

One good 'marker' of how your liver is doing is the color of your stools, I'm finding. If they are yellow, or even light brown - pay attention to this and know that your liver is speaking to you. The lighter your stools are, the more toxic you are.

Also, if you start developing freckles or brown blotches or splotches all over your nose and face, then you are being told, "You have been toxic for a long, long time - most likely TOO long. Better detox - yesterday."

It's always good to call your doctor for his input - and if you have pain, I wouldn't put it off. But I listen to my body now as to what it can and cannot handle, and it's been slow-going for me.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

I would get a liver panel done for sure and if you are into acupuncture go to one to assist your liver. Mine has really helped me with liver/med issues and so has my Tibetan doctor as well.
skimpbiz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skimpbiz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies thus far. They are greatly appreciated, and I may pm some of you if that's ok.

Herein lies my problem:

Everyone tells me over and over again how important exercise is, right? Well, when I'm doing well I can fast walk 30 minutes.

Alas, after 2 months without abx, I start to notice feeling very achey when I wake up in the morning after an evening of exercise, as if I hadn't walked but rather played tackle football.

I then trim my exercise time down to 20 minutes, start getting achey there, then down to 10, then down to 0, which is when I need to go on abx again.

Now my liver doesn't seem to be tolerating the meds, even though they've already once again helped my lyme symptoms and I ask how am I supposed to feel up to doing exercise when I can't take my meds?

Marc

[ 16. July 2007, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: skimpbiz ]

Posts: 173 | From Lakeland, FL 33813 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

I tried to excercise at the peak of my Lyme Disease, figuring maybe I was just out of shape. I even went out and bought 5 lb weights, tried to lift the suckers above my head - let's just say I was lucky to lift them twice, and even that was a feat for me.

We had a snow storm at one point, and it took me all day to finish because my joints would start aching so badly, that I would have to go inside, warm up, and rest over and over again. I felt 90 year's old.

I honestly would not push yourself to do any heavy duty excercise if your symptoms are too extreme. Even yoga or stretching will get your lymphs moving enough so that down the road you can once again start working out more strenuously.

I've noticed that back in the spring I was able to dig some flower beds, but since summer, my knees feel like rubber just stooping down to mulch.

Listen to your body. I don't think it is ever wrong.

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most important thing is to take your doctor's advice seriously and have your liver enzymes checked.

Aside from that, I'd be doing everything I could to detox. I use Questran, coffee enemas, and FIR sauna for detox. I think it's really helping.

As much exercise as you can tolerate ... even if it's a walk around the block .... is good.

I also try to get a little fresh air and sunshine every day.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

My LLMD said if you have lyme disease do not get your heart rate up because doing so can damage your T cells.

If I over exercise I get a migraine.

David95928
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marc, an LLMD that many see out here on the west coast, Dr. H., told a friend of mine that of the antibiotics, Bicillin LA (shots) is "kindest" to the organ systemss. I've been on it for over four years with no problems. Have you and your LLMD considered this route? PM for details, if you wish.

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Follow-up. I had my annual physical today. Liver, kidneys, lungs, etc... all fine.

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement