LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Why your old injury sites act up.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why your old injury sites act up.
welcome
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for welcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Robert Cathcart

AUTOIMMUNE REACTIONS

Clinically, it is not uncommon to have a patient complain that an area of an old injury or old infection becomes symptomatic when he becomes ill subsequently with some other condition.

Antibodies, formed by matching slightly altered self-molecules, slightly altered by the previous injury or infection, were at the time of the original insult suppressed as the original inflammation resolved.

There have been described multiple mechanisms of immunoregulation in immunology texts whereby antibody reactions are brought under control.

I hypothesize that an additional mechanism of suppression is that as the normal relatively reduced redox potential of the tissues is restored, the antibodies become reduced and unprimed.

Subsequently, when the patient's free radical scavenging mechanisms are overwhelmed by some different condition, the redox potential in the body systemically becomes more oxidizing and old antibodies begin to seek matches.

Some antibodies generated during the previous insult may then match those previously affected areas and result in pain and inflammation.

Additionally, those antibodies may cross react with tissues similar to the previously affected tissues and more generalized conditions such as arthritis, myositis, tendonitis, neuritis, etc. may result.

Foreign body molecules, especially from foods and chemicals, similarly may multiply antibodies which cross react with self-molecules.

Ascorbate is frequently extremely effective in averting this situation because the systemic redox potential is kept relatively reducing despite local pathological processes generating considerable quantities of free radicals.

Sometimes fully developed autoimmune reactions can be markedly ameliorated by massive doses of ascorbate by driving reducing redox potentials directly into the depths of the autoimmune reactions.

Quite frequently, if high levels of ascorbate are maintained such that the autoimmune response is mostly but not completely blocked, the reaction may become intermittent and reveal itself to be related to some previously unsuspected antigen and not be a true autoimmune reaction after all.

In patients suspected of having food and chemical sensitivities, it may be difficult to determine by history which foods and chemicals are causing reactions because the reactions last for days.

Frequently, the duration of these reactions are shortened by large doses of ascorbate sufficiently that the cause of the reactions become more obvious.

Posts: 294 | From nevada | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've noticed this, too.

I've had equivocal antistriatal muscle antibodies. Interesting.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butchieboo
Unregistered

I thought that pain was experienced because of the inflamation which causes tissue to put pressure on surrounding nerves.

What type of doctor are you, if you don't mind my asking?

We rarely have the honor of a real doctor visiting or contributing scientific information around this place.

BB

klutzo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
butchieboo,
If you click on the blue link with his name, you will find the author is a doctor of orthomolecular medicine. You will also find an article detailing this further.

I am not sure I am buying this. I am very toxic, with the most severe pollen allergies and the most severe MCS of anyone I've ever known or heard of, yet I can't tolerate more than 500 mgs. of vit. C daily without getting diarrhea. In fact, I take one gram to get things going if I have the opposite problem.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butchieboo
Unregistered

I see Klutzo,

There seems to be a recent rush to the boards lately to put so many words, especially polysyllabic medical or scientific sounding words.

Is there some kind of bill or something getting ready to be voted on in the House or Senate?

That usually brings out the most litterally prolific contributors to the boards here.

I have been hearing about Vitamin C...massive doses, ever since that doctor in Germany used it, to cure cancer...

what was that? Approximately 15 Years ago?

BB

welcome
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for welcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by butchieboo:
I see Klutzo,

There seems to be a recent rush to the boards lately to put so many words, especially polysyllabic medical or scientific sounding words.

Is there some kind of bill or something getting ready to be voted on in the House or Senate?

That usually brings out the most litterally prolific contributors to the boards here.

I have been hearing about Vitamin C...massive doses, ever since that doctor in Germany used it, to cure cancer...

what was that? Approximately 15 Years ago?

BB

[Roll Eyes] That's rich! I needed a good laugh.

Just posting it as a resource. Take it or leave it.

I am amazed at how some will try a certain this or that, and get a less than desirous result i.e. diarrhea, and immediately stop.

Klutzo, how about trying a lower dose that does not give you the runs, and then over time work your way up. Actually I think that is what this Dr. advocates, more or less.

All in good time.

I am still learning.

Posts: 294 | From nevada | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Icon 14 posted      Profile for mjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Dr. C., I appreciated this post. I've often wondered about the mechanism for the increase in pain at sites of tissue trauma, when other infections/maladies are encountered by the body.

The writer, Norman Cousins, recovered from a severe illness with massive quantities of IV Vitamin C. If I remember right, it was a special kind of C and he was under the care of an open-minded physician.

Thanks for your post.

Posts: 422 | From Luck home | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ART address this, epecially with scars. Take it GiGi, Scott...
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement