LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Best Med for terrified flyer and general "flying with Lyme" advice needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Med for terrified flyer and general "flying with Lyme" advice needed
robi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to fly. Really terrifies me..... always has.

So I have to take a plane and need some meds. I have tried valium, ativan and Inderal (Propranolol) a beta blocker. No, not all for the same flight.

Anyway, none really did the trick ........ now I was drugged and terrified.

So does anyone know what would be a good one. My anxiety id through the roof when flying.

Xanax and Klonopin have both been suggested. I have no experience with either. If you have any ideas on which would work, please enlighten me.

Also, what other general fliying precautions should I take as a person with lyme?

Thanks,
Chicken-robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Robi.

Xanax should really work. Try it out before you go.
Are you flying alone? How long is the flight?

You will be okay!
XANAX

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi WC!! wow your quick to respond. Good idea to try before hand. I will get enough to do that.

One flight is 3 and a half and the other 4 and a half hours. I will be flying alone for the journey out but will have my partner with me going home.

Ok, one for xanax ...........

thanks,
r

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuLuFlorida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuLuFlorida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robi,

I also hate flying and xanax does the trick for me. You should also take airborne 3 times a day for three days before and after your trip to boost your immune system.

Good luck,
Lindsay

--------------------
"One day at a time"

Current:
-1.2 IM bicillin three times a week
-1.25 IV Vancomycin every day
-IV glutathione and IM B12
-Byron White since Jan. 2011
-ALA, Yasko protocal, Adapten-All, thyrosol, Pekano, phosphalipid exchange, probiotics, oregano...

Posts: 390 | From FLORIDA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't used it for flying, but have used Xanax in the past and it's great for anxiety.

You must really a mess when you fly! [Wink]

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Well, LymedNva ......... yes I guess it's true you do have some insight in to my anxiety. I must say that was one of my "better" performances. I am usually not quite that anxious, not sure why I was wound so tightly.

You, were incredible though and really handled it (and me) well. Thanks for maintaining the calm......... many would not have been able to what you did and I am grateful.

robi

--------------------

lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years of teaching classrooms full of learning disabled, emotionally disabled students with a few "normals" thrown in for good measure!
[Big Grin]
Now I'll quit messin' with ya!
[Cool]

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....actually I think a couple of margaritas would be better and safer than all those downers... [Wink]
Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote for Xanax as it's also shorter lasting than Kolonopin. Kolonpin's half life is around 50 hours, Valium around 20 and Xanax about 8 or so. It should leave you less drugged feeling.

I think WC's idea is a good one. Trying it out beforehand to see how you like it. Some people find certain Benzo's work better on them than others. Personally, I like Xanax, you're milage may differ. It leaves me the least hung over of the lot.

I hope it makes you nice and mellow.

blabble babble babble... sorry

As for flying, bring some food, non-liquid. Also ask the attendants for lots of water. Keep annoying them and get them to give you bunches. Heck, if you have to get up a lot to pee it's a reason to get up and move around.

Bring a funny book or toys to play with. I bring puzzles because I can concentrate on them better than reading these days.

Let me know if I can offer any other barely helpful info. You know where to find me.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
robi, my suggestions:

xanax as well; last time i flew it was in 95-96; can't remember before I knew i had lyme, and squeezed into a SMALL NORMAL SEAT for my little larger than normal body! [lol]

i'd take my own pillow and covering to go over the back of your seat to avoid other people's hair problems ....can't think of what the kids get checked for in school!

take a good book to read; any new LYME books you've wanted?

take your own favorite music to listen to and plenty of batteries for the long flights!

i'd be tempted to take my own little drs. mask for ALL THE UNCLEAN AIR in there.

take gloves for the bathroom!!

AN AIRLINE ATTENDANT POSTED ADVISE FOR THIS; search for this in medical!! he had a lot of good info!!

good luck; let us know how it goes. where are you headed to? MAKE HAPPY MEMORIES THERE! [Wink]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Robi ~ I believe this is the thread Betty was referring to. Lots of good info there...
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=055958

--------------------
more light, more love

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Seems like xanax is winning. I am not concerned with a 20 hour or 50 hour hang over. I am going for an extended period of time. I am most concerned about the actual flight.

I took 20 mg of valium over 6 hrs and still had a panic attack on the plane ............ and no hangover.

Does Klonopin have a different action that xanax?

robi

--------------------

BJG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey,

Xanax and Klonopin are Very different meds.
Xanax is for anxiety, Klonopin is a mood stabalizer that can reduce the affects of anxiety.

Keep in mind Xanax is for the symtpoms of Anxiety.
To reduce/get rid of Anxiety you could try Bio feedback, therapy, Theophostic, or other treatments specific for anxiety.

One of the sad issues with anxiety is it steals wonderful experiences from us.
A trip, flying can be turned in to [sleepy] a postive adventure once you overcome the anxiety.

Peace,
[hi] b

Posts: 468 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

I may be mistaken but 'think' Kolonopin is often prescribed for panic attacks. I know at least 2 people taking it for that and they seem to get some benefit from it.

Kolonopin, xanax and valium are all benzodiazapines. Each works slightly different on different people but I believe they are all realted.

blah, blah, blah no medical or pharmaceutical background just have tried various things for anxiety and sleep.

--------------------
more light, more love

robi
Member # 5547

I will be flying in about a month. And I do appreciate the long term solutions...... really. At the risk of sounding harsh .......... my pate if full. Flying is a 'back burner' issue. have tried Mnay many natural remedies and thearpies to overcome. I just want o get through a few flights ......... not another project...... I know you get it.

I can not handle and rememebr all the stuff I am supposed to be doing. Really all I want is a knock out drug.

PLease do not be offended by my directness. I just cant heandle another therapy, supplement etc etc ..... I am very alternatively minded...... for this I jsut have to get through it.

So I am still taking suggestions ....... best knock out anxiety lowereing drug?

BJG I would be interested to know what the different actions of the two are. SOunds like you have some onfo there.

Thanks,
robi

--------------------

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about taking a train?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymedad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8074

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymedad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
robi,

I don't have your problem with flying, I spent 25 years doing it for a living. Well I spent 25 years keeping them flying for the pilots.

I think the one thing I could tell you is to remember that the guy up in the front has a family and he wants to get home just as bad as you do.

My wife is a very nervous flyer, so each time I've taken her on one of my trips, I upgrade to first-class, board before the herds and order two Bloody Marys (double) before they even shut the doors.

That seemed to work for her, I think she actually started to enjoy going on flights with me after a couple of our adventures.

Good Luck - looks like Xanax is the winner to me.

Posts: 681 | From California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote Xanax--

Allthough Margaritas mmmmmmmmmmm..... [Razz]

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used Xanax when flying. It can be taken every 4 hours if needed. I take the .25 dose.

For me, Xanax lowers the anxiety but I don't feel much different,not drugged or knocked out.

Don't mix Xanax and alcohol. I don't drink because of other meds I take.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellybelly
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Robi

Oh, I hate to fly too!!! Really, hate it. I have tried xanax and it tends to make me really groggy and when I fly I like to be awake...not comfortable falling asleep. I need to be aware of all.

In the last year I have been using vallium and I really like it. It gives me a sense of just not caring but I am not groggy. I have even fallen asleep, not because of the groggies though. I just have the sense of not needing to know what is going on anymore.

I still feel coherent, watch movies, talk to people, etc. I do need quite a bit though. Regular full dose is 10 mgs. I need 12-14. Doc gave me 2 mgs tabs so I can take just what I need. I start with what I hope will work and take more if I need.

Hope you find something that works and I agree defiently try it before you get on the plane.

Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Robi,

I understand having your plate full and just wanting to get past a specific situation in your life.
You certainly did not offend me.

Yes, all three meds are Benzo's.

Xanax is taken PRN. as needed, as is Valium.
Valium has a sedative like affect.

Klonopin is used for siezure activity.
It is used for the SYMPTOMS of Panic attacks and used on a REGULAR basis.

They are similar, but affect the brain differently.

Take care and good luck.

Peace,
B [hi]

Posts: 468 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Thanks BJG!

--------------------
more light, more love

NatalieA
Member # 7714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NatalieA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just flew and I hate flying but at least now I can do it...I didn't fly for 15 years because I was so terrifed.. I used to hyperventilate and cry. I have found a couple xanax and/or ativan really do the trick. Doesn't make you "dopey" just relaxed and calm.
Good luck

Posts: 87 | From Clarksburg, NJ, Monmouth | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh boy i hate to fly, just hate it. i would actually tear up and cry and grip the seats so hard i thought they would break...

and my husband is a pilot!!!! i was so bad on one flight that they put me back with the flight attendant so she could reassure me....

they hate to see me coming....

i got on one plane and looked beside me and freaked out...i was sitting beside a NUN!!!

my husband keeps telling me a great tip -- eat!!! so i take a purse full of candy bars, chips, whatever i can pack....he said something that if you're mouth has something to do, you can't concentrate as much on being afraid...

it seems to help....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hate to be a crowd spoiler, but I prefer Ativan. One thing I learned from not only one, but two, pharmacists (different pharmacies too) is that if you take Ativan, GET IT IN BRAND ONLY. Do not, I repeat DO NOT get it in generic.

It is more expensive (probably quite a bit, I don't pay attention now) to get it in the brand version. The reason to get it in brand version is because it is best taken UNDER YOUR TONGUE. The generic version does not absorb as well as the brand version when taken under the tongue. That is, sublingually. I am not a doctor.

You want to take it sublingually, because this bypasses the drug having to be absorbed systemically (i.e. thru your stomach/gut, and then dispersed thru-out your bloodstream).

I was specifically made aware of taking Ativan in this manner by a kind pharmacist who I described my absolute flying terrors to. She was very kind, she told me that I would probably have to always specify that I wanted my Ativan in BRAND version every single time I get it refilled at the pharmacy, because with the insurance tangles these days, it will almost always just be automatically filled in generic form.

So, Ativan works DELIGHTFULLY when taken as brand form, and under the tongue. I use it this way before flights, and it is very effective. I have not taken Xanax, nor Valium. I found Ativan, and stuck with it.

You can sliver off a tablet, take it under your tongue, if you do not feel like it's working well enough, sliver off another piece, under your tongue, etc. VERY EFFECTIVE. Have I mentioned that it's very effective? [Wink]

I don't know if Valium and Xanax are to be taken under the tongue, but as a nurse, I do know that most emergency rooms, when faced with someone who needs some calming down asap, do put Ativan directly under someone's tongue, and aside from having to give it IV, this works very quickly.

Fly well, I know what you're going thru!
Julie

[ 22. July 2007, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Just Julie ]

--------------------
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can put Xanax under your togngue, gut it has a real bad taste. I did get ativan before my PICCC line was placed. I did like that too. Very calm feelin. That was 1 mg I believe.
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4723

ANTIDEPRESSANTS

Of the antidepressants, the tricyclic antidepressant, imipramine (Tofranil), has been the most extensively investigated and is considered by some a standard treatment for anxiety. Other cyclic drugs that have been found to be effective in treating panic disorder include Pamelor (nortryptyline), Norpramin (desipramine), and Anafranil (clomipramine). Tricyclics, unlike benzodiazepines, require only a single daily dose of medication. They are well studied and also help to guard against depression, which is often comorbid with panic disorder.

Patients with panic disorder are often very sensitive to the cyclics; some may experience activation (subjective agitation, irritability, and restlessness) at the start of treatment. Generally, treatment with a TCA starts with a lower dose which is increased over time. Some clinicians suggest having the patient split the dose, with the majority of the medication taken before bedtime, thus causing many of the side effects to occur when the patient is sleeping.

One major disadvantage of tricyclics is that they sometimes produce cardiac side effects (such as dizziness and heart palpitations) along with weight gain and sedation. Because tricyclics are slower acting than benzodiazepines, they are often prescribed in combination with a benzodiazepine during the initial stages of panic disorder.

A second type of antidepressant, MAOIs have been found to be highly effective in the treatment of anxiety disorders, including panic disorder and social phobia. There are, however, certain serious side effects with these drugs. People taking MAOIs have to have a restrictive diet because of a substance called tyramine that is found in certain foods. The interaction between tyramine and MAOIs can precipitate a hypertensive crisis characterized by a dramatic increase in blood pressure.

SSRI, spefically Paxil is used for anxiey.
I can be difficult to DC.

Good Luck
BJG [confused]

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Water, water and more water. It is a very dry environment inside planes and low oxygen too.

For a 7-8 hour flight I usually take 3-4 liters of water and add electrolyte powder to it.

Also, I always use saline nose spray regularly during the flight to flush out any viruses I may pick up in the air on plane before they can take hold (a tip my pharmacist gave me, he always does that).

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robi,

Good luck to you. My husband suffers anxiety and it is no laughing matter.

I do know from what he has learned over the years that the best way to get over a fear is to face it frequently until the situation no longer concerns you.

So fly, fly, fly the friendly skies.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Update : klonopin got me here. Wow I was fairly calm............. can hardly believe I was on a plane for 4 hours.

robi

--------------------

trueblue
Member # 7348

[woohoo]
Yay, Robi! I knew you could do it! All you needed was the magic potion. [Smile]

How are things? I've been thinking about you.

true

--------------------
more light, more love

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement