LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Psychiatric Herx?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Psychiatric Herx?
Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Energy2Heal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am being treated for Bart with Factive. I have bad psych symptoms from the Bart (possibly from Lyme too). My LLMD added Bicillin injections to help suppress the Bart.

I had my first Bicillin injection (1.2mu) yesterday morning. Starting last night, my psych symptoms went through the roof and are continuing today. I assume it's from the Lyme, not the Bart.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Can a herx result in exclusively psychological symptoms? I don't feel any worse physically since the injection.

Posts: 443 | From The Wild West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I think my daughter is in the same boat.

She is early into treatment, but her biggest issues are psych.

She has a pos. Lyme and pos B. Hensalae and B. Quintana tests.

She is on doxy now (again, she just started all this about 4 weeks ago) and right away----10 days she noticed her OCD goes WAY up. Also her temper flared badly, her fuse shortens and she is VERY emotional.

She has this along with headache, hot neck and now a bit of a fluctuating fever today.

We use zoloft and that helps the ocd a bit and maybe the anxiety too. She was on Zyprexa, but we stopped that for now (side effects) and we hope the zoloft will be enough.

I do think this is common in people who have primarily neuro/psych issues....That nasty Bart will do it to ya!

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you get some answers about this and feel better soon!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(((((((Andrew))))))

You can have a psychological herx from lyme and from bart.

Can call your doc & let him know what's going on?

Maybe he can give you something to help in the short time

Hope the herx pass's quickly [group hug]
Hugs
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energy2Heal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else with this experience?

It seems like Bart is the major player, but I'm still not ruling out the herx being from Lyme.

Anyone else have a "psych herx" from Bart meds?

Posts: 443 | From The Wild West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm herxing now on rocephin and my ocd is through the roof. I take xanax to calm me down because with ocd, every thought you think you really believe. I take anafranil for ocd usually and they might as well be tic tacs for as effective as it is. Hopefully this will pass for you soon. It's hard to remember, but you are on treatment for a disease that is physical and effects you mindwise. You could pm me if you want because I live this.

Good luck and be well - I was 1 1/2 years almost free till I re-started treatment a few weeks ago when symptoms came back. Keep plugging at it.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have a condition called hyponatremia - my body doesn't retain salt and when my salt is down, my mind is at it's worst. SSRI's and tricyclics cause this salt condition - you might want to look into that.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a horrible psych issues before IV treatment for lyme. I believe my acute lyme infection caused my OCD and anxiety and it also got worse during herxing.
Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before Lyme treatment I had NO anxiety/depression or OCD - Now when I herx I have these to the extreme - I was started on just a low dosage of Doxy last week and within hours I started a physical herx that went to extreme rage and now depression and anxiety/OCD, I have been advised to back off and let it pass, then to restart. So I beleive most definatly it is a herx from lyme meds that can cause these psychiatriac issues although I am told over time it will lessen-and pray it will!!!!

Again I personally never experienced any of these symptoms until starting Lyme meds.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope so too...same thing happening here with Rifampin/Doxy combo against bart......in fact, all my psych symptoms got much worse once I started Rifampin!
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaykay
Member # 8448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaykay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also never had severe psych symptoms until i started abx. i also get psych symptoms w/o being on abx. so, it's hard to tell if somethings working/herx, or if something isn't working!
Posts: 67 | From New York | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement