LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » lower gut pain worrying me...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lower gut pain worrying me...
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 9 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all --

I think some gut stuff was kicked off by eating guacamole that had a bunch of red onion in it.

The next morning I felt like I had marbles in my lower intestine... painful on left side. Of course, I looked up diverticulitis...

In one day, the pain has moved a bit from the lower left to higher up accompanied with nausea and GERD and lower back pain.

I do not have loose stools; I'm not constipated.

I am best off sticking to liquids, because food brings discomfort and nausea.

SO... I'm hoping it isn't c. difficile or other scary abx-induced gut stuff. I'm hoping it's a one shot gut rejection of onions that's taking a few days to clear.

Not bloating much, so I'm hoping it's not the yeast beast. Confessional: eating Greek yogurt and Kefir because acidophilus seemed to bother me for a while.

I'm wondering also if my Malarone is also contributing to the overall weakness, achiness. My early Lyme included a lot of gut discomfort.

I'm worrying myself by googling too much gut disease stuff... Anybody gut savy out there?

I feel like such a whiner lately, but I'm going through a rough patch. sorry...

help? [confused]

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penn92
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penn92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my lower gut gets irritated, I drink a mouthful of Pepto-Bismol on an empty stomach and let it work for about an hour before I eat anything else. It has helped a lot and, actually, I've been told that where the pain is isn't necessarily correlated to where the problem is. My lower gut (below my navel) hurts, but the pain almost immediately stops after the Pepto, which tells me my real problem is in my stomach.

HTH and that you're feeling better soon. BTW, you should be taking S. boulardii to help prevent C. diff.

--------------------
Getting older is when we would rather not have a good time
than have to get over it. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 386 | From Radnor, PA - where the ticks run free | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hanginginthere
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hanginginthere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had two bouts with c. diff since starting antibiotics 10 months ago. When it happened to me, I had terrible cramping and lots of diarrhea. (not to be gross--but c. diff has a characteristic smell too [Eek!] ) Your symptoms don't seem to match c. diff to me (so try not to worry!)

I find it helpful to take s. boulardii, culturelle, theralac, freshly ground flax seeds in unsweetened yogurt, and lots of plant-based digestive enzymes.

Posts: 136 | From North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just stopping by to say I hope you're feeling better soon!!

Sorry I don't have any answers for you!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug] [kiss] [group hug]
Tori, feel so bad for you; wk. and a half ago my tummy was raw for 2 days ... felt like vomiting or diarrhea but neither came!

do you have food allergies too?

gluten ... wheat, rye, oats, barley

casein ... dairy products? could be that too!

best wishes my friend to turn the corner tomorrow! [group hug]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
siggy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for siggy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wiserforit;
What you describe is exactly how I feel! I am alternating diff. abx during a 6 week cycle, then 2 weeks off, and then 6 weeks abx etc.

On the 2.time of this I completely lost my apetite, felt nauseaus(sp?) after eating certain foods, felt pain in my lower abdomen moving back and forth from the right to the left side. I don't even have a feeling of hunger, it is only when I get grumpy that I understand I better eat something.

On my 2 weeks brake from abx I got my apetite back, but now I am back to square one again as I started abx again.

I am loosing weight, which I don't need to, so I hope it resolves with treatment.

My guess is that it is Lyme-related rather than abx-related. For me that is. I had occasional bouts of these symptoms pre-treatment as well, but not lasting for more than a week.

Hopefully you will feel better soon. Is there any food that you can eat without causing problems?

sig

Posts: 155 | From Norway | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
listenswithcare
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for listenswithcare     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was having lower gut pain off and on, but it was concerning. I had been dabbling with not eating wheat/gluten, but not totally abstaining.

Over time, I realized that the pain came after eating wheat. Sprouted grain bread was all the wheat I was letting myself have. Now, I have cut that out.

No more lower gut pain.

Also - using digestive enzymes with each meal (Megazyme by Enzymatic therapy is my choice), Theralac 1-2 times a day and another probiotic 1-2 times a day. Working wonders.

I know what you mean about looking things up on the internet and getting freaked out....Hope you calm down soon (and your gut too).

Robin

Posts: 276 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Penn92, hanginginthere, Lymetoo, bettyg, siggy, listens ---

Thank you all for responding. I couldn't link onto this site for most of the morning or I would have written back sooner. Was the site down again?

Penn92 -- thanks for the Pepto advice. I'm not sure whether or not I can take it while I'm taking Prevacid. I resorted to the big Prev after successfully being off it for 9 months. [dizzy] By the way, what brand containing s. boulardii do you take?

Hanginginthere -- what plant digestive enzymes do you take? Thanks for describing the nasty c. difficile experience; now I know I do not have it! [spinning smile]

Lymetoo -- you are a sweetie to check in and wish well. It's comforting to have folks who are so constant let you know their thinking of you! [kiss]

bettyg -- I hope your tummy is on the mend! I suspect that all the abx have done a number on my immune system and I wouldn't be surprised if I am allergic to all sorts of gluteny-demonic stuff! I've been cutting most of it out completely, but bad tummies call for squeaky clean honesty, eh?! Thanks for keeping your eye on me (whiney month I'm having, eh?) [kiss]

Siggy -- you know, I had isolated weeks of this on and off over the years before I knew I had Lyme/co's. I suspect you are right: could all be Lymie replay of the TOP Most Disgusting Symptoms Since Bitten. Did you feel really weak during the bouts? I'm sorry that you are losing weight; I had the opposite reaction...gaining. I find broth and liquids are the way to go. Folks recommend rice and noodles, but those foods and I do not do well together. Now that things are beginning to ease a little, I feel like my innards want to drop out of my body! Good thing we humans are sealed shut! [Razz]

Robin -- I'm ready to be a non-gluten convert and go get Theralac and Megazyme! Funny how with every set-back you can become a Born-Again Supplement Disciple all over again. I always feel like I'm either doing too much or too little, based upon how my sensitive gut responds! Thanks for commiserating with me in my Achey-Breaky time.

I really value you guys [group hug]

Best O'Best,

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penn92
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penn92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe check and see whether Pepto is OK taken at a decent interval away from the Prevacid.

I take S. boulardii as a separate supplement - Nutricology makes a good version, but make sure to get it where it has been refrigerated at all times or it loses potency. I also take Udo's Super 8 probiotic. One of each type twice a day has done it for me.

--------------------
Getting older is when we would rather not have a good time
than have to get over it. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 386 | From Radnor, PA - where the ticks run free | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hanginginthere
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hanginginthere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Udo's Choice Enzyme Blend--ten plant enzymes in a vege cap. I take one whenever I eat something. I think it really helps break down the food...avoiding the bloated feeling [Wink] If you're having a big meal, take another in the middle or end.

Here's to happy tummies everywhere!

Posts: 136 | From North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wiser,

I had something very similar to what you are describing the pain was really bad too and the nausea never let up. This went on for about a month I diagnosed myself with possible H. Pylori The doctor agreed to test me although he thought it was plain old Gerd, none of my symptoms were upper GI so how could it be Gerd?

Its a simple blood test or a breath test, pretty accurate.

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tori! Sorry to hear that your gut feels like marbles (very good description!).

I have gotten that feeling from time to time also on our regimen; and I have to concur with the good advice above.

When I have had episodes of GI distress or the runs, it has always been helped by:

* s. boulardii. There was only one time in the past year when I had serious GI distress, and I had to give up abx for a couple of days. The Florastor S. Boulardii (there are different brands) took care of it. You cannot take this and treat for yeast at the same time, though -- diflucan will kill S. Boulardii.

* More probiotics -- my new love is Ultimate Flora Critical Care -- "50 Billion Cultures Per Capsule" !! I take alot of different types of probiotics, and also like the Nature's Way Prodopholus.

* Bananas! I love ripe bananas. With greek yogurt, it is fantastic.

During my bout last fall with GI distress, I just ate alot of noodles, chicken broth, and wonton soup for a couple of days. It was hard to give up broccoli for even a few days, but with the probiotics my gut was better very quickly.

Take care and feel better! Yours, VL

[hi] [kiss]

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MarsyNY & Hail Vermonter!

I am totally stepping up the probiotics! H pylori is a thought too...yucky, but a sound thought.

I'm sort of weirded out by how weak I feel in the legs from this. I have a feeling the Malarone made something rear its ugly head, because I feel fairly rotten. Guts now feel quavery; legs feel anxious while the rest of me doesn't.

Kind of makes you go: hmmmmm. And then you go: %$&*@**!!!!

I send the Best to you guys,

[kiss]

wiserforit

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement