LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » When do you think I will Herx ??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When do you think I will Herx ??
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone. I hope that you are feeling well today.

I have been on plaquenil and Biaxin for 3 days. No Herx yet. I just feel tired, but not too bad.

I am just curious when others have herxed on this combo? I want to Herx so I know it is working, but at the same time I do not want to suffer, but you know what I mean!

Everyone keeps telling how great I look, and "You look so much better".

I want to be better really, but I guess a herx would be proof you know?

Anyway, have a good day everyone!
Melissa

[hi]

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 12 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you may not have any negative effects....the pill that got me dramatically better within hours, Bactrim, didn't cause me to herx at all...
Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
August 4, 2007.

Just kidding!! I have no idea. Like Charlie said, you may not Herx at all. I Herxed on some abx and not on others. When I was really bad I never Herxed on orals because my bacterial load was too high but after I got better on IV I did!!

I always got glad when I was Herxing, the worse the better, because I knew I would get that much better. I always feel bad for people who back off of Herxes because they are the price for the payment of better health for many of us... So I hope you either get better like Charlie w/o herxing or that you have a horrible nasty Herx (because it will bring you that much betterness*)!*)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD says not everyone has a Herx reaction-in fact only about 38%.

So herxing is not an automatic given with treatment.

The usefullness of keeping symptom charts was brought home to me though when I wound in hospital ER, thinking I was going to die of either heart failure or stroke.

ER doc consulted with LLMD. After bloodwork came back negative for both, the LLMD said it was possible herx reaction because the last month at same time I crashed,too.-Just not so hard I guess.

Anyway I got to go home, whew, inspite of skeptic ER doc who wanted to keep me for further observation and testing.

Bottom line- you may herx, you may not.

Take Care,
Carol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be great to just get better!

My Joints feel pretty good since starting the regimin.

Maybe I do not have too many bugs due to the IV roephin for 3.5 weeks and 2.5 weeks of Doxy before that. I did herx on day 3 of doxy and again 1 week later. No herx on IV.

Maybe that is wishful thinking since I couldnt walk Sunday night.

Time will tell I am sure.

I will probably post a crazy messsage about I cant take this anymore soon! Lol. Melissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Today is day 4 and I just feel a bit better, still tired and a bit sore and a couple bad boughts of nausea.

maybe I will be lucky and not herx. If you do not Herx does it mean the meds are still working?

I contacted my LLMD about something else and mentioned the not herxing, he didnt seem concerned, and just to keep updating him.

I have been keeping a diary of all my temps and symptoms since my first hospitalization.

Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Melissa,

Nausea, being sore and tired can be a herx....

Maybe just a very tolerable one.

I think I herxed on biaxin around day 5....and again on/around 30 days.

It could be the dosages....how much are you on?

I am hoping you just keep doing better....without a major herx.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

I am on 500 mg Biaxin twice a day and 200 mg Plaquenil twice a day.

I guess I am comparing this to my doxy herx where I was in the fetal position sobbing and waiting to die on day 3.

As long as the meds are working No herx would be fine with me.

I have been dealing with bad nausea for a few weeks now and isnt really new.

My temps are down to 100!! Woo hoo.

cootiegirl
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cootiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi.
Everyone is so different in how they respond to meds and what their bacterial load is. I've been sick for 6 years and have been treated for lyme, babs and bart. I've been on numerous oral combos and have never herxed. I'm one of the 'resident herx virgins'. I have continued to feel better over time. It's not the same kind of improvement that you see with a lesser bacterial infection but it's over the years that I have seen steady improvement.

I think too that herxes can run the gamut - meaning that some folks get really sick, while others might just feel a little 'off'. One of my lyme kids would feel lousy about once a month or so, while the other one would get a cold every three weeks like clockwork. I see both of these as herxes.

So just keep track of your progress and don't be disappointed if you don't herx!
cootiegirl

Posts: 1728 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi merry girl

When I was on IV I didn't start to herx till week 2. All hello broke loose on week 3.

Everyone seems so different in the herxing department & some times it's also a matter of finding a combo that targets your particular strain. But try to be patient, only time will tell.

hang in there [group hug]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Merrygirl! I'm actually the one you met at the doctor's office. We are on the same treatment and my experience thus far has been a little odd. I was on the doxy for about a month and 2 week into it I felt my worse. Around week 3 I started turning a corner.

You and I started on the Biaxin/plaq on the same day. My experience thus far has been odd. Monday/Tuesday felt decent. Wednesday morning was awful, Thursday good and today I feel very weak and a bit of nausea. Not sure what is the Lyme, Herx or medication.

Would like to keep in touch since we share the same doctor and started the same treatment plan on the same day.

Hang in there and enjoy your better days. I'm with you though, I find the weight of "when am I going to Herx and how bad will it be" unsettling.

Posts: 561 | From mass | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plaquenil can reduce joint pain. So it's possible that you are herxing and the Plaquenil is moderating the effects.

Give it time. Most LLMDs don't want to change abx for at least a month unless there is a bad reaction.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

HI KS! I am so glad we got connected on here!! I wanted to ask you your screen name but I thought maybe a bit inapropriate!

I actually had a good day Tuesday. Then I am just tired. I was thinking that the Plaquenil maybe helping me feel better and that is why there is no Hex yet.

I think it would be great to keep in touch as you said!

I have prepared my family for the worse. I have had 2 bad herx on Doxy and they were terrible.

I think that my family would find it odd for me to feel bad 3 weeks into it.

I did email our doc to let him know about my normal MRi and just let him know no herx. He didnt think it was odd.

So YES definitely stay in touch. It is nice to know we are doing this at the same time. Please Pm me anytime. I am going to PM you my email address.

Good Luck to you!!! Melissa

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A herx is caused by a build up of debri from dead bugs. Maybe your bacterial load is down enough that your body is able to keep up with the die off now? Or, maybe you have beefed up your detox regimen? Or, maybe you are hitting different bugs with this combo than you were with the last? I think doxy can hit some strains of bart.

Perhaps your body is very good at getting rid of debri, unlike mine. I seem to be in one continous herx.

Please let us know how you do as your treatment progresses.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Visual Afterimage Man
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Visual Afterimage Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So detox will help make a herx easier to deal with right??

Follow me here:

Isn't sweating a good detox regimen?

So... Babs makes me sweat.. babs is detoxing itself?? Cool. Stupid parasite.. it's killing itself.

--------------------
26 months of treatment. And counting.......

Posts: 298 | From Northeast Kansas | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement