LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Daughter starting Minocycline

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Daughter starting Minocycline
kelmo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8797

Icon 11 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the mepron/zith combo has been thrown out the window. After five months of that pain and agony, we are moving in a new direction.

We are hoping that the five months of depression, extreme pain was worth it and some bugs were killed. She was having too much stomach, brain and spinal cord pain. Her ANA titers are elevated again.

I've been doing a search on here regarding mino. It seems some have had good results with it. The theme I've seen is "start slow it packs a punch".

We are planning on starting Tues/Thursday. She has been ordered 100mg capsules (I believe, I haven't picked it up yet). Some say to spill out half, take the other half on the next dose.

So, are we on the right track? Would this hit Lyme, Bart and Babs?

I will go back to The Road Back and check out what they say. I started in that group when my duaghter was diagnosed with fibro.

I just want to know if this made an improvement in your treatment.

Kelly

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kelmo.

Definitely start slow. 100 mg is good. I don't split but it couldn't hurt.

Don't be surprised at: dizziness, heart palpitations.

It gets better (or did for me) in about a week.

I now take 100 mg two times a day, for total of 200mg a day. S'posed to be neuroprotective, whether it's killing or not. A good thing.

Hope your daughter sees improvement on it. Don't let the initial herx scare you off!

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cootiegirl
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cootiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how old your daughter is, but I can speak from my experience with mino....it has been my magic bullet. It can be a tough drug to tolerate but it does pack a punch against the buggies, esp lyme and bart.

In my case, I got up to 300 mg a day and tolerated it well. I started out 100mg three times a day then went to all 300 at bedtime with my llmd's blessing. I DON'T recommend that but it's what I could tolerate and worked for me because I got a little lyme stupid about remembering to dose 3 times a day! I know am pulsing the same dose - 4 days on, three off, and doing really well.

Best of luck to your daughter with this med - I hope it works for her!
cootiegirl

Posts: 1728 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm supposed to start minocycline here myself, but my doc has yet to send me my malaria retest slip - mine was equivocal and I hesitate to start this med until I get the blood redrawn.

I hope this one works for your daughter - keep us posted.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My best wishes for your daughter. I started mino a little over one month ago, at a very low dose. I am taking 50mg every three days. I am also taking a high-dose of amoxy with that now.

I could not take more mino for the first month. I think it is helping, but it is hard to tell after only one month, as the side-effects have included headaches, irritability, and head pressure. It is the toughest antibiotic that I have taken yet, compared to doxy, amoxy or zithromax.

I asked my doc if these effects from mino were because it was treating a neurological infection or if they were side-effects of the drug itself. He said he did not know. No way to tell if it is a herx or just a mino side-effect!

Remember that she should take at least 1000mg (or 1.5g) Vitamin C daily while taking mino, as that seems to prevent teeth from turning dark. Also, probiotics of course.

Everyone reacts differently, so I hope she has an easy time with it, it is an effective treatment.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou4656
Member # 10300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou4656     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mino worked for me. I felt off balance the first week or two that I was on it, but fine after that.

Do not split the dose! You must take the capsule whole, and with plenty of water. It can cause a horrible burning sensation if it doesn't make it to the stomach quickly. Which is why you never split the capsule -- it must be taken whole. Also, it is best not to lie down for about 30 minutes after you take the mino.

I hope that you daughter has the same wonderful results on mino that I had.

--------------------
LouLou

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tried to take mino earlier in treatment and it incapacipated me-well it was weird-I felt the worst I have ever felt in treatment with pinpoints of feeling the BEST-like actually clear of any head issues.

NOw I have been on orals and IV for over a year, and am willing to try again-ramping up slowly. If I survive the herx then I truly believe I will be in the homestretch of winning my life back.

Before I just had to drop out of the race. I swore I wouldn't go near mino again-but I'm hoping the bacteria load is down enough for me to handle it.

Take Care,
Carol

ps- my daughter has been taking mino daily, prescribed by dermatologist for three years now with no side effects-except clear skin-which is her goal.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mino was fine the first time I took it. When symptoms returned, I went back on and it was too much for me. The herxes were too hard for me to handle this time around. I'm now on rocephin which I'm tolerating physically well, mind wise, it's tough with any of them. Keep us posted, I hope she does well.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any experience to offer...

Just best wishes for a positive outcome. Your little one (well not so little) needs and deserves to have a good outcome soon.

And I have heard relatively good things about minocycline.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for taking the time to post your experiences, that is what I needed to hear.

Lou, even though I'm disappointed we can't split the dose, I understand why and will take your advice.

We are planning on taking it two days next week. Tues and Thursday. I'm thinking of doing that for a month then ramp up to MWF.

Wouldn't it be nice to feel halfway normal by Christmas?

Any more success or advice is welcome. THANKS

Kelly

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was doing a search on minocycline and thought I would update and bring it back up. I would also like to know how everyone who started taking it last Summer are faring.

My daughter had a rough couple of months on it, but by the end of the year, she told her doctor that it was the best drug by far.

She still has pain, but she has improved to about 75% function. She has been on it seven months.

After a while, did you had a second drug to give it a boost?

cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, great news that your daughter is up to 75% on mino!

I, too, started mino around the same time she did (I think shortly after your daughter). It was a tough transition, and the first few months were horrid.

Beginning a few weeks ago, I would say that I've been functioning about 65 - 70%. Which is amazing. This is the best I've felt in years.

I do still have headaches, although not as frequent or as incapacitating as previously, so that has also improved.

I can't attribute it all to mino, as we've also been adjusting thyroid meds, and so the higher dose of thyroid meds is likely making a difference as well.

It will be interesting to see if this continues for both of us, and whether your daughter's LLMD opts to add in any other meds.

Please keep us posted... and I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Take care,
Cactus

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Can anyone tell me about anything you did IF vestibular symptoms resulted from mino ?

I get terrible tinnitus, vertigo and just can't continue it. However, it's the only drug I can really get . . .

I've read in several places (and on PubMed) that it can be ototoxic, but one researcher does not have it on his list. Still, lots of people do okay with it.

B6 is being used with minocin in trials with austic kids to calm down the vertigo . . . so the B6 may be vestibular-protective.

Anyone here found anything to help regarding tinnitus mainly ?

Anyone taking the minocin, or time-released ? any difference?
I hear it's really expensive, though.

Vermont-Lymie: Vit. C at the same time? or just regularly, maybe a few hours away from mino ?

thanks

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement