LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » HBOT - question re # of sessions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HBOT - question re # of sessions
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Icon 5 posted      Profile for tempe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was about 90% better till mid-July, then had my worst relapse since beginning treatment in 2003. Because of liver problems & antibiotic sensitivities developed in the past year, I need to try an alternative like hbot.

My question is number of sessions needed for effectiveness. At this time, I could fit in 7 days at most before starting back to work (I teach). If I wait till December, I could fit in 4 weeks in a row.

Would you advise waiting till I could fit in the 4 weeks in a row? Or would you try a week now, then go back for the 4 weeks in Dec?

I'm thinking I should wait till December so I don't risk doing too few sessions to be effective & then give up because I feel it's not working.

Thank you for your input.

Tempe

Posts: 172 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butchieboo
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tempe,

Considering this works for some and not others.
If it were me. I would go ahead and get one or

two sessions under my belt before I had to teach school. Just to make sure I could handle the herx if there is one and still teach.

A neurologist I went to see told me it would take 30 dives to cure me!

I know there is time in between these dives. I don't know just how much time. Perhaps a week or bi-weekly or bi-monthly.

Check with your practitioner.

However....If you happen to be on some kind of abx it may help even more.

and good luck

BB

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tempe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by butchieboo:

A neurologist I went to see told me it would take 30 dives to cure me!

Thank you butchie for that suggestion. Does anyone have experience with how long a herx from a week of HBOT sessions might last?

If people have a herx after a week or so of HBOT sessions, do they continue the sessions, or stop and resume after the herx is over? With antibiotic treatment, my LLMD says to stop at the first sign of a herx.

Posts: 172 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh, I was just asking another poster about this tonight. Hubby is also doing HBOT, and I don't think he's doing enough treatments each week.

What type of schedule are others doing? How many treatments a week? Doc we are saying said 40 sessions, but we haven't really worked out a schedule.

Please let me know how many treatments a week is being recommended ??

Thanks and best wishes!

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymedad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8074

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymedad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our daughter finished her first HBO treatments in April of this year. It was probably the best thing we've ever done for her.

The director of the HBO Clinic in Chico CA provided us with several studies that showed that the optimum number of "dives" is a minimum of 40.

It was his opinion, and it was backed up by several studies, that 40, 90 minute dives at the proper atmosphere was the best application of the therapy.

Any more was apparently non-effective and any less and they were not sufficient.

If you'd like more data, information or just input, please don't hesitate to PM me.

LymeDad

Posts: 681 | From California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could definitely create a massive herx. I don't know if they've worked out yet who HBOT helps and who it doesn't. My husband had a huge relapse after 12 sessions. In my very uninformed opinion, part of the reasons were:

Not enough detox
Untreated Lyme
Untreated Babesia (which loves oxygen)
Coming off prednisone too fast
Start of candida diet at same time

So as you can see he had a lot of things going on. I don't want to discourage you as some people really seem to get benefit from it. It seems to me that the ones who do get better have already had a fair amount of treatment, are doing antibiotics at the same time and have a good detox program going on.

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to figure out how many times per week is the best. I guess maybe it depends on the person and how they react. Hubby really felt good after 6 sessions, and I thought he had some major improvement.

Any more info would be appreciated.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
40 days is not enough imo.
You could do 40 days, 5 days a week, and then go down to 2 days a week for at least 3-6 months.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HBO typically begins with 30 treatments in a row, once or twice daily. After that you do a 4-8 week break, then do 30 more, and so on. Usually after the initial batch of 30-60 you need 5-10 every 4-8 weeks as maintenance. The best way to do it is while on antibiotics to get the maximum effect. [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tempe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do all of you think about "pulsing" HBOT sessions in order to detox between sessions? 1 week on, then 1 week off?

I know that I did better pulsing antibiotics than taking them constantly, probably because I had time to detox in between.

Tempe

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement