LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need Artemisinin WITHOUT Titanium Dioxide

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need Artemisinin WITHOUT Titanium Dioxide
hopingandpraying
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just received my order from Vitacost and the bottle says the Art (Nutricology brand) contains Titanium Dioxide! I read before that this is carcinogenic.

The website listing of ingredients did not include this (I ordered 90 capsules 100 mg. strength). Which vitamin company sells Artemsinin without the Titanium Dioxide? Thanks.

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buckfever
Member # 9876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buckfever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted a thread a couple of days ago about getting a bad metalic taste after taking artimisinin. No replies, so far, I wander if the reason that I get this aftertaste is because of this ingredient? [confused]
Posts: 97 | From West Chester ,Pa. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to get Artemisinin from Holly Pharmacy in Fullerton, CA.

Now, most people I know treat it with PC-Noni. I have posted about it many times.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buckfever - I don't know about the metallic taste being linked to the Titanium Dioxide.

Gigi - thanks once again for the info. I will check around locally at health foods stores and will contact Holly Pharmacy in CA which you used.

Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valbeth
Member # 12715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valbeth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GiGi:
Now, most people I know treat it with PC-Noni. I have posted about it many times.

Take care.

What is "it" that you are treating with Noni? And what is "PC"? Thx

--------------------
Valerie
"A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 63 | From Jim Thorpe, PA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Val, Babesia. You may want to check some of my posts on Babesia. There are lengthy explanations.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same brand and strength and it doesn't list titanium.

mine says...
other ingredients: Cellulose, magenesium stearate

Does yours say otherwise? I have this bottle a couple of months. I can't imagine adding it in.

[confused]

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buckfever
Member # 9876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buckfever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, hi, I also have the same brand and if you get out a magnifying glass you should see it . Talk about small leters!!! Almost hurt myself squinting . [dizzy] [Smile]
Posts: 97 | From West Chester ,Pa. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 5 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the NutriCology Brand as well.
Artemisinin-100mg.

Cellulose and magnesium stearate.

No small lettering of titanium dioxide anywhere on the label.

Hmmmm. [confused]

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Member # 9256

When I looked on the Vitacost website, the Nutricology brand of Artemisinin read "cellulose, magnesium stearate". So I ordered it, but when I received it the bottle read "gelatin,cellulose, L-leucine, titanium dioxide".

Very confusing [dizzy] . I certainly would NOT have ordered this! It will be going back and I am going to call the company for clarification on this.

GardenLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GardenLymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heads Up - My empty bottle from Holley Pharm- under the whitesquare w/ the suppliment facts - in very small print - lists it in "other ingrediants"....
Posts: 176 | From Tenn | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for improver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just bought the same stuff from the same place. It does list the same on mine. However my llmd told me that he wants me to take this brand from this place. I haven't started it yet but wonder if it's ok....
Posts: 413 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We always bought ours thru AllergyResearch Group amd it, too, has this ingredient listed last in "other"
Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 12 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....I somehow wouldn't worry about a tiny dab of some ingredient listed last on a label....you probably inhale more and worse stuff in an hour.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buckfever and hopingandpraying,
I did look with magnifiers and in bright light. [Cool]

Mine doesn't list it but I bought this bottle a few months ago. They might have changed the label. (Either to reflect what's been in there all the time or that they've added the titanium.)

I was under the impression (perhaps erroneously) that Allergy Research and Nutricology were the same thing with different label. (I hadn't realized until you asked last week that one was showing the titanium and the other not.)

I wonder... [Roll Eyes] I do know the capsules of the Nutricology brand are white (as opposed to clear) which I have pondered on.

Truly, having worked for a vitamin bottling company, It sounds to me like they've just got a batch of new more revealing labels. (Mine doesn't list gelatin or what the capsule is made out of. This sounds like a more comprehensive list.)

That said, I haven't had a metallic taste from it nut have only taken fairly low doses.

I don't tend to be effected but most binders and fillers except for lactose and even then not always.

--------------------
more light, more love

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Member # 9256

Thanks to all for the posts. I just got off the phone with Vitacost and they found the same to be true, namely, the website does not list Titanium Dioxide as one of the ingredients for the Nutricology brand (90 capsules 100 mgs.) but is written on the bottle I received.

Does anyone know if the titanium dioxide would be added to the artemisinin or to the capsule-making ingredients themselves?

I was thinking if it's just the capsule itself (not what's inside) then I could get empty capsules from the health food store and transfer the art into them.

Any ideas or suggestion?

Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not know if it is absolutly necisary for the med to work. Try finding a compound Pharmacy in your area. They might be able to answer that question and/or help you find an alternitive ect...

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Charlie, I hear you. It's not the "tiny dab" a few times, it's the accumulation that collects in our body:

Titanium: where to find it

Titanium dioxide (TiO2) is widely used in consumer products, as it is non-toxic - even though it triggers allergies in certain people. It is known as a "pearling agent" as it makes paper and paint glossy and white. Always check the content of food stuff, pills and cosmetics for titanium dioxide. It is found in the following:

Body implants, such as Br�nemark (for teeth) or to rebuild bones.

Dentistry: as a colour pigment in composites

Sunscreen agents: Finely ground titanium dioxide will block the harmful ultraviolet rays from the sun.

Confectionery: Used to make candy look brighter and adding a crunchy coat to for example chewing gum.

Cosmetics: Used to brighten and intensify the colour of make-up. It is regularly found in shadow, blush, nail polish, lotions, lipstick and powder.

Toothpaste: Used as a pigment agent to make the toothpaste whiter.

Paint: TiO2 will improve the durability of coatings and gives white colour.

Plastic carrier bags: Improves durability and gives white color.

Medical pills and vitamin supplements may also get their white coating from titanium dioxide.

Piercing & Jewelry: For example watches and all types of body piercing. Less people are allergic to titanium than for example to nickel.

Take care.

trueblue
Member # 7348

quote:
Originally posted by hopingandpraying:
When I looked on the Vitacost website, the Nutricology brand of Artemisinin read "cellulose, magnesium stearate". So I ordered it, but when I received it the bottle read "gelatin,cellulose, L-leucine, titanium dioxide".

Very confusing [dizzy] . I certainly would NOT have ordered this! It will be going back and I am going to call the company for clarification on this.

The website matches my old bottle so that makes sense as that's where I got it. The label change is fairly recent; I only bought mine a few months ago.

(Vitacost has taken things back from me before and have been very nice about it, fwiw.)

I think your best bet would be to contact Nutricology and ask them. They should be able to tell you if it's in the powder or capsule. They are easily opened if it turns out to be the cap and you already have them.

[dizzy]

--------------------
more light, more love

tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Nutricology bottle also lists Titanium Dioxide.

I don't get a metallic taste, I'm taking 400 mgs. a day.

I am interested, now, if it is in the herb or in the capsule ??

--------------------
Tabby

-

California Lyme support group

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Member # 9256

FYI - I called Vitacost and they told me the Titanium Dioxide is in the capsule, not the Artemisinin. I plan on purchasing empty capsules from the health food store and transferring the art into them.
hopingandpraying
Member # 9256

FYI - I called Vitacost and they told me the Titanium Dioxide is in the capsule, not the Artemisinin. I plan on purchasing empty capsules from the health food store and transferring the art into them.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement