LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Best H. Pylori treatment ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best H. Pylori treatment ?
CD57
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi -- we recently discovered that I have H. pylori. Anyone have any advice on how to treat it while on abx for Lyme?

I understand that normally docs prescribe a "Prevpac" but that's a 2 week course of a couple of targeted abxs I'm not on. I don't think you can do them concurrently.

Herbs? Do they work?

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenschasinglyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenschasinglyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I had H.Pylori. The antibiotic used to treat this is BIAXIN. This antibiotic is used with many Lyme antibiotic protocols.

Another option that should be added to the Biaxin is Mastic Gum. This is a Greek supplement which kicked my H.Pylori in the butt!!!

Make sure to get the breath or stool test to see if it is gone though...

Mine still showed positive on the test but negative finally with the other ones.

Coccunut oil shows evidence against fighting H.Pylori as well.

Posts: 111 | From San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was treated for H Pylori years ago with high doses of biaxin, along with nexum to help repair the stomach.

H Pylori is also known to give people anemia, so make sure you get your blood levels checked.

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is interesting. Hubby had a horrible bleeding ulcer two years ago, which I assume was caused by H. Pylori. In fact, he goes back in a couple of weeks for another endo scope as a checkup.

He hasn't had any stomach problems since the ulcer. Has been on protonix the last two years.

How is it determined that H. Pylori is still active or existing, or whatever? What type of test is done to check for it?

Thanks for any info.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citruslyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for citruslyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zantac is a miracle to heal ulcers
treat with amoxicllin
or get allicllin over the counter high doses like my Allimax. they have a brochure that says which microbes it kills and i recall h.pylori being one of them.talk to your doctor about this

--------------------
citrus

Posts: 248 | From student | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have a Rife machine run 676 Hz for ten or fifteen minutes a day for six days. That should permanently resolve the problem.

D Bergy

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butchieboo
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the prevpac is the package of two antibiotics and an antacid.

From the 70's thru the early 90's.

I used to carry antacids with me wherever I went. Because, even water gave me heartburn.

Until I took the simple, at home, finger prick blood test for H-pylori, and was diagnosed positive by this test.

After doing the 14 day 2abx with 1 antacid. I was cured of h-pylori. I could eat anything and not get heartburn.

However since the lyme disease Dx, and all the stuff I have annoyed and inflamed my stomach walls with. I get heartburn occasionally from

what I eat,except, it's really dependant on, what abx or drugs I might be taking, with my food. Just like before I ever took the cure for h-pylori.

Until lyme and the subsequent medications and OTC or alternative supplements, I've thrown down my face!

I felt I was succesfully treated against h-pylori because my symptoms were gone.

Interesting enough, I have had several ducks tell me and my wife that EVERYBODY on earth has H-pylori. It just bothers some more than others.

OK...now the interesting part...The VA tested me for lyme and found I was negative for that but positive for h-pylori!...EVEN THOUGH, he took

one look at all the abx's and combos, I had taken in the past for lyme, and remarked that I had taken exactly the same abx's, at one time or another, that

were being used, to erradicate h-pylori. But then he said, for me, he would prescribe acid blockers...not a prevpac to get rid of it mind you...oh no!!...acid blockers!...LOL

Now how absurd is that!

The VA is the world's largest HMO!

So I guess you can figure who butters their bread!

Then my llmd in PA told me that h-pylori is crossreferrenced with lyme(BB).

I used to have a prevpac pamphlet right around me at the computer... but I can't seem to find it right now. Otherwise I would tell you all exactly which,

abx's they were, along with an antacid like pepto-bismol tablet(yes pink) because prevacid was'nt on the market yet. So,of course, it

was'nt called a "prevpack". And I don't remember what it was called or which drug company put it on the market.

I want to say Biaxin(ammoxycillin with Levaquin or clindamycin or another flouroquinalone, or possibly a cephalosprin!

Just don't quote me on that.

And yes metronidazol or flagyl is also often used.
I was going somewhere else with this weird scenario...but I'm too tired to think straight anymore.
So
I hope you enjoyed my saga of the little heliocobactor-pylori and stuff.

Here's a REALLY WILD AND CRAZY THEORY for you to nibble on!

What if H-pylori is actually the "Natural born killer" of lyme disease.

HAH!

WOULD'nt THAT BE A HOOT!

BB

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PrevPac consists of amoxicillan, biaxin and prevacid. Prevacid is a protein pump inhibitor (blocks acid) and does NOT do anything to heal your gut. It does stop pain by stopping the acid, but it is treating a symptom not the cause.

Too much antacid use and you will have very big gut problems. You need acid to digest your food.

I was first diagnosed with H. Pylori in 2004 and took 2 weeks PrevPac. Afterward I felt the best I had felt in years. It is good stuff.

Once you have had H.P., your blood will test positive for the rest of your life because the antibodies never go away. So only the first bloodtest is any good. Subsequent testing must be by breath, stool or biopsy.

April this year I had the HP symptoms. One doctor put me on Nexium which again does not heal just stops the symptom. He wanted to do this for 30 days and if the pain came back then he wanted to do a biopsy. (Geez wouldn't a breath test be simpler) This doctor is my local GP who I only have just in case I ever need to be admitted to a hospital.

Nexium is nothing but a marketing scam pill. It is a watered down dose of Prevacid and a different color so they could patent it after Prevacid's patent had run out.

Dr gave me free samples and I just stared at them thinking to myself "doesn't he know this pill is not as good as Prevacid?" This is the same doctor that after my 2nd tickbite, he diagnosed 101 fever and elevated WBC, but chose not to test for lyme and wasn't going to give me an antibiotic until I asked for it.

So I trotted off to my D.O. and asked him, "Can't I just take a 2 week course of PrevPac?" He prescribed it for me.

June 4, after tickbite, I went to LLMD who, through stool testing, found lots of H.Pylori in my gut even after the 2 weeks of PrevPac. She said 2 weeks is not enough time to eradicate the bacteria.

H.P. untreated can cause stomach cancer. Too much antacid can cause food allergies and of course allows the H.P. to continue its damage without you feeling the pain.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I had h.pylori I used prevpac which is amoxicillin, Biaxin and Prevacid. I needed more than 2 weeks though, and did it twice. I also used Helidac therapy which is flagyl + tetracycyline plus bismuth/ranitidine.

Mastic gum(direct from Greece) Chios mastica, works well too. Another good healer for the stomach lining is DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice) chewable tabs.

Some folks have success with Manuka honey which has hydrogen peroxide in it. Let me know if you need some, I still have 2 unopened bottles of manuka! He hee

Prevpac should work fine, you just might need it twice. Also the Prevacid should probably be continued for a month or more until the lining is totally healed.

Good luck!

[Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After doing a lot of research since I currently have gastritis, the breath test is the most accurate for H. pylori (of course no one in my town does this test), the stool test is the second most accurate, and the blood tests the least accurate. Hiker

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8890 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys for info -- can you do a Prevpac while on other abx (I'm currently on Rifampin/Doxy/Omnicef for bart and Lyme) or is that a no-no? I would think you can't mess with that at the same time?

Interesting re: the antibodies staying positive (my test is IGG positive not IGM, indicative of non-active infection, but quite high) for life. Is this really the case, like with Lyme? Eg, we will always have antibodies for Lyme?

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

D Bergy,
Do you have a source for your suggestion? Interested in knowing for exploring...thx

Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, as I understand this, hubby being on protonix the last two years hasn't done him any good, because it hasn't healed anything?

He doesn't have heartburn or stomach problems while on this. He takes probiotics every day.

He was on biaxin for awhile about 5 months ago. Didn't notice that it did anything.

Should I ask the doc to change him from protonix to a prevpac thing?

Then again, hubby has taken flagyl pulses over the last year, so maybe that has taken care of the problem.

I've tried to keep up his protonix, because of the nightmare of a night we had when he woke up with bleeding ulcer/vomiting. I didn't realize until later how close I was to losing him that night.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CD57
Here is what I used as a source when I had terrible reflux and burning stomach pain that I believed was caused by H Pylori. Check out page 9 (subjective experiment)

http://www.rife.de/files/epearticle.pdf

I did the same thing this guy did except I went one more day and also ran a sweep from 675 to 677
to make sure I covered all bases. My results were identical. Never had reflux or stomach pain since.

Best Regards

D Bergy

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement