LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Ceftin Herx

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ceftin Herx
savebabe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I have been doing pretty good with my meds util my llmd added ceftin into the mix, now I am completely floored again.

How long does it take to get over a ceftin herx?

Thanks

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyrantel
Member # 12716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyrantel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found it very interesting to finally hear about the herx reaction on Ceftin. For years, I have been treated for recurring sinusitis with ceftin and usually like clock work after three days, my symptoms would get worse and none of my doctors could figure out why.'

When I heard a Lyme doctor (one well versed in the disease) talk about this herx rxn on a video, I knew that what I had been suffering with since 1987 was Lyme disease. Sure enough, IFA, Western Blot IGG and IGM all were positive.

Those Ceftin reactions in my case only lasted for three days, but I was only on Ceftin for 7 to 10 days at a time. HA HA the things we find out!!!

Posts: 4 | From LA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ceftin has been my primary antibiotic. It's probably good to note that I was undx for 9 years before starting treatment, so I was pretty Lyme saturated by then.

My first herx happened a few days into treatment, despite the fact that I ramped up slowly. It lasted several days. Then exactly 28 days later, I had a really severe herx. Really severe.
The worst of that lasted about three days, but in general, I felt pretty awful for about 5 days.

The second month, after 28 days, the same thing happened.
By the third month, the herx still alsted about 5 days, but it wasn't nearly as severe. And each month it lessened a little.

Feel free to pm me if you have any more specific questions.

For me, it's been a good antibiotic, but the herx was really wild.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
savebabe, my herx from ceftin / biaxin lasted about five months, basically non-stop. lots of neuro symptoms emerged as it killed the bugs. don't be in a rush. the body will have it's own rhythm. the problem, of course, is that it is hell to go through.

when i plateaud on ceeftin, i switched to rocephin. that was a 7 month herx. but not as bad, and it waxed and waned.

patience, self-care, and love, and a spiritual solution, are the things that get me through. but they have to be practiced and accessed every day.

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cornhusker321
Member # 12656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cornhusker321     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
savebabe,
Count me in as someone on ceftin and herxing pretty bad. Mine started about 12 hours after my first dosing and I have been feeling pretty bad for 13 days. Hang in there, just think how crappy the borrelia are feeling! Ha!

Posts: 16 | From nebraska | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy1
Member # 12754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
andie333- what kind of herx's did you have exactly? i have been on ceftin for 2 months and i too have felt awful for a few days each month...
Posts: 82 | From philadelphia | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
big lenny
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for big lenny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can you describe your herx and exactly how it makes you feel. i too am on ceftin with another antibiotic and am feeling like helll!!! worst than lyme without treatment.
Posts: 259 | From new york | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone get a temp on ceftin? This is my second time on it in a year. The first time I did herx, but no fever.

This time, after 5 weeks, I've started running a temperature (the last three days)which goes up in the evening. Last night it was over 102 which is high for me since I have a low body temp.

I'm wondering if maybe it has nothing to do with the ceftin or lyme, since I never did get a temp from any other antibiotic I was taking in a year.

Maybe it's totally unrelated to lyme--some kind of virus which of course an antibiotic wouldn't touch???

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My herx has been so bad that I feel like I have acute lyme all over again.

For the past few days my neuropathy has been so bad that my feet are bright red and hot to the touch.

I also have an increase in temp and nightsweats and just feel like I have the flu.

This is horrible, but hopefully once it breaks I will make more progress.

Feel better everyone!!

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cornhusker321
Member # 12656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cornhusker321     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My herx from ceftin feels like a bad flu. When I wake up in the morning, I especially feel terrible and weak. Night sweats, body aches, and just very weak.
Posts: 16 | From nebraska | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement