LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Severe Insomnia- Maybe part of a Herx?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Severe Insomnia- Maybe part of a Herx?
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys. Well I always have trouble falling asleep, maybe an hour or 2 max. Usually take 1 mg Xanax and it helps.

I didnt fall asleep until 5 am yesterday and I am still up at 330am now. I havent changed anything and I dont take caffeine.

When I woke up yesterday I felt like I had drank a bottle of tequilla. So now I am all OCD and anxious. I cleaned my fish tank at 2 in the morning. Took another dose of Xanax it is not working. I am going to try to go to bed now.

Ater I check all the kids and pets and lock and clean myself up and get comfy, thats a good 30 min in itself I might fall asleep.

Why all of a sudden is this flareing or starting up? I NEED TO sleep... Thanks, Melissa

[ 06. August 2007, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: merrygirl ]

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I do not have any answers for you but I was forced to take Ambien for 3 months this Winter. I hope you do get some sleep.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Melissa,

I have insomnia pretty bad too.

I have had to take Lunesta several times but that doesn't always work for me.

My insomnia rotates with fatigue. Either I just can't get enough sleep or I can't sleep at all.

I have started to make myself a routine instead of just going to bed whenever. I have been trying to have myself into bed at 10. If I can't fall asleep..normally I can't...I read. That seems to help me a bit.

I wish I had a better answer for you. Just thought I would tell you it's common.

Hope you get some rest tonight...kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got an early awakening sleep disorder when I got LYmed and my LLMD said it was common- that is when you wake up in the wee hours and are wide awake and cannot get back to sleep no matter what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He gives Elavil for it in tiny dosages, not anti-dep dosages but only 5-10 mgs!!!!!!!! It makes people sleep through that waking moment-

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could it possibly be that the Xanax is having the opposite effect?

I am very contrary in that way. Ambien, Zoloft, Lunesta all wound me up and made me jittery, no matter how small a dose.

I use Librium to help me sleep now. My LLMD doesn't like to prescribe it, but he does because he knows how important it is for the body to have "down time".

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah maybe I will try no xanax and take my pain meds a bit early too. If I dont take the pain meds at bed time I am in too much pain to sleep.

Until now I have been sleeping most of the time and so fatigued. The last 2 nights are really weird.

Thanks for oyur advice- Melissa [sleepy]

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 'bedtime' has turned out to be about 4 or 5am to 9am lately. If I'm lucky, I catch a 2 hour nap sometime later in the day, because I can't possibly feel rested on that amount of sleep.

I know the gallbladder meridian peaks from 11pm to 1am, and the liver meridian goes from 1am to 3am.

I think these bugs try to move around extra at night, that way you can't get any shut-eye when these meridians need to be functioning.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have trouble falling asleep, then staying asleep. I'm trying Valerian and Melatonin for a while before I take prescription sleep aids. It seems to be helping. At least with the Valerian I'm not stressed that I'm still awake. I don't think it's helping me stay asleep though.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hostbody
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hostbody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Ambian - but still have trouble. I slept

for 3 years in a recliner. That's what I do now

when I can't get to sleep laying down.

For some reason when I sit up - I can fall

asleep. It seems like my wires are crossed!

Posts: 111 | From York, PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

I think I am having a weird herx on Biaxin/Plaq. My cognitive abilities are really bad, I put dishwashing soap in the fridge.

I am sweating like crazy (no one else is) my temp is normal which is a miracle. I feel like I have weights strapped to my arms and legs.

I am also having balance issues where i kinda stumble a bit (not on narcotics or anything)

my tremors are much more than they have been.

I cant follow conversations and typing this is hard as I seem to not be able to spell or think clearly.

Do you think a poss herx?

I am going to try to go to bed now. Have a good night all! [sleepy]

Ellie K
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellie K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Merry,

Funny that you wrote about this. I feel like our cases have been similar in so many ways!

For the past couple of days, I too have had horrid insomnia; I'm usually still squirming in bed when the sun comes up! [Eek!]

Nothing seems to help. Tyenol pm does nothing.

I've tried warm milk, anxiety meds, hot baths, boring books, even counting sheep.

No sleep really brings down my health. It makes all of my symtoms dramatically worse, especially nausea and vomitting.

I've been twitching too.

ARGH! I'm going to ask my LLMD for some ambien I think.

Posts: 390 | From Oakland, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was early into my treatment I had a few months of severe insomnia and anxiety. I couldn't sleep at night and I couldn't nap during the day. YUCK. My psychiatrist gave me mega benzo's because she knew I needed my sleep. I would take Clorazepate at bedtime, an Ativan when I woke up in an hour or so, a OTC sleep aid the next time I woke up and then Xanax when I woke up again. When the anxiety went away I was quickly able to wean down - within a week actually. The longest I slept was with the "Simply Sleep" - sometimes I would get four hours from that (OTC made by Tylenol)

Anxiety and insomnia seem to go with Lyme sometimes.

Now I take 1 mg Ativan at bedtime and then .5 Xanax when I wake up at night. I also save my Calcium and Magnesium for at night as they can help make you sleepy and take a timed released Melatonin.

I've always been a bad sleeper.

I hope you pass this phase quickly!

Hugs

Molly

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Thanks everyone. I ws taking 1 mg xanax, but I dont think it is working anymore. I think this is a herxy type thing becasue it is so abnormal for me.

Here is to a good night sleep for all!

[sleepy]

merrygirl
Member # 12041

Well I wanted to go to bed at 9pm, but ended up getting into bed at 12am. My daughter would not go to sleep! But I fell asleep right away.

When I was laying in bed the ball/soles (not my heel)of my feet were burning. That has never happened before. I feel like I could sleep for a week.

More joint pain so I am thinking a herx of some kind.

Ellie it has always seemed like we have the same issues!! loL. I hope you feel better.

Melissa [sleepy]

Dizzyygirll
Member # 3576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dizzyygirll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During my first bout with Lyme, I was prescribed an antidepresant called Trazadone which is sometimes used to help with falling asleep. It worked great for me. It makes you super drowsy so you can fall asleep.

Maybe ask about that med.

--------------------
Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly, forgive quickly and rejoice in the fact that most of us are indeed unstable.

Posts: 59 | From Laurel, MD USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biaxin can cause insomnia in some people. It did for me years before I had my Lyme dx (but I already had Lyme).

I've been on artemisinin for several months now and started Biaxin a month ago. After a few weeks of difficulty sleeping it improved and now I'm usually sleeping through the night.

Sometimes I awaken early, but then I just have to make sure I listen to my body and go back to bed when it tells me to.

I think the art helped me lower the Babs load a bit and made the introduction of Biaxin easier for me. I'm about to add in Mepron today, but it appears he's starting me on a low dose.

In my lay opinion you are pr0baly having a reaction to the Biaxin.

I use a combination of several meds to help me sleep. Without them I am a mess. Some are for pain and have sleep inducing qualities, plus Trazodone and a muscle relaxer.

Hope you are able to find a solution to the lack of sleep soon. Levaquin did that to me and I was a mess for five months on it!

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Thanks everyone. I did take trazadone a while back it worked great. Next visit I will ask for some.

I dont want to take an ambien type med because I need to wake up if the baby cries etc.

Thanks for reminding me about trazadone!

I didnt realize the insomnia was a poss side effect. I guess I should read better next time!

Thanks Here's hoping for a good night sleep for all. Melissa

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement